No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2005-07-20, 12:24pm

Default The Lusters (Bullseye)

I have a question from my Mom...

She has tried to work with the Amber Luster from Bullseye, and she can't get it to do anything. She admires Farmer Dave's beads which a lot have a metallic finish, But how do you get the lusters like the amber to turn the goldish irridescent/metallic looking?

Silver Mist Studios

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

High Quality Handcrafted Jewelry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2005-07-20, 12:28pm
traumaqueen

Location: Utrecht, a town in The Netherlands, close to amsterdam

When you have finished your bead, let it cool outside the flame, and turn down your oxy. You should have a heavy fuelrich flame, then just turn it inside the flame ( turn away from you instead of towards you) and you should see the metals rising to the surface right away

suzanne+

Old 2005-07-20, 1:39pm
Resident Luny

there's new lustres now, too...... evil evil

- artisan lampwork beads, jewelry, and a little bit of rock n' roll.

Be kind to one another. The world needs it more than ever.
Old 2005-07-20, 1:52pm
needs to light the torch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunesse
there's new lustres now, too...... evil evil
OH NO!!!! you are evil!!!

What colors????

Old 2005-07-20, 1:59pm

lol yeah my mom just got her bullseye order and there are several lusters.

Silver Mist Studios

Old 2005-07-20, 2:13pm
Resident Luny

Misty, she can turn the propane all the way down so its just an orange flame. Flash it through that a few times and she's literally golden.

Old 2005-07-20, 2:22pm

So do we turn down the propane? or the oxy?

Silver Mist Studios

Old 2005-07-20, 2:32pm
sunscreen me baby

turn down the oxy.

~

Old 2005-07-20, 2:40pm

I *think* she's tried that already... but I'll ask forsure.

Silver Mist Studios

Old 2005-07-20, 3:15pm
sunscreen me baby

I turn my oxy off for the few seconds it takes.

~

Old 2005-07-20, 4:43pm
Resident Luny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Mist Studios
So do we turn down the propane? or the oxy?

I meant oxy, sorry. Was doing POOP backwards in my head. *sigh*

Old 2005-07-20, 5:06pm

ooooh, the new lustres!!! There is copper green lustre, green lustre, brown lustre and uranium lustre. They are really fantastic. The copper green is a turquoise transparent rod that turns opaque green/blue while working it, then reduces to a bright shiny copper. The green lustre is a beautiful gold/silver. The brown lustre is a fantastic silver/blue and the uranium lustre is gold with a hint of orange.
Pam
Old 2005-07-20, 7:16pm
sunscreen me baby

Pam I just read what you said about not turning off the oxygen and just increasing the propane. I like your way better. I have noticed if I leave it too long I get black.

~

Old 2005-07-20, 8:26pm
Metallic Flame Studios

Question Hey Kalera................... yooooooo whooooooooo

Quote:
Originally Posted by pam
ooooh, the new lustres!!! There is copper green lustre, green lustre, brown lustre and uranium lustre. They are really fantastic. The copper green is a turquoise transparent rod that turns opaque green/blue while working it, then reduces to a bright shiny copper. The green lustre is a beautiful gold/silver. The brown lustre is a fantastic silver/blue and the uranium lustre is gold with a hint of orange.
Pam
ok, Pam... fess UP! where did you find these and who has them for sale???? I have to have at least one rod of each and just peeked through Kalera's new site and didn't see the new lustres.............

hey Kalera.....................

Kickin' it on a Knight, a Betta, a 'Cuda, and a SmithLittle with 3 Oxycons, Playing with Fire Since February 2004
Check out our new journey into Metal (yes, including tools) and glass...

Old 2005-07-20, 9:18pm
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltsexpressions
ok, Pam... fess UP! where did you find these and who has them for sale???? I have to have at least one rod of each and just peeked through Kalera's new site and didn't see the new lustres.............

hey Kalera.....................
LOL I don'y have 'em yet! Actually I saw this thread, emailed Bullseye, and they say they'll have 'em ready for me to pick up later this week; the colors are green / copper green / uranium / brandy... they sound to die for!

Old 2005-07-21, 4:13am

Hi Kalera, I am so glad you are getting them. I have been playing with them way too much. I'm afraid every fish I take to the Gathering is going to be covered with lustres! The brandy is such a great brown, then reducing it slightly leaves the brown, but brings silver/blue highlights to the fins of the fish. Reduce it more and the brown goes away and you are left with silver/blue.

Hi SusyQ, I have found this method better for me and the way I work. Everyone has a different method and lots of times it has to do with your torch and the way you work. I would never turn the oxygen completely off as it does turn everything black, but that happens to me on my torch with the way I work. Perhaps it works well for someone else.

The Uranium lustre only requires a slight reduction to achieve its beautiful colors, while the copper green requires more. It's amazing the different colors that you can achieve with this one. It first turns and opaque green and then you can get some blue highlights in it. It's a beautiful green color, then with a slight reduction you get copper highlights, but with a heavier reduction the whole things turns a bright copper color. These lustres are great for spacer beads also. It gives me the metallic look but it's still glass and I can make the shape I want.

I have lots more playing to do to find out all the ranges of what these new lustres will do. I've really just played with them mostly on black and white, so there are a whole range of colors and reactions left to go.
Pam
Old 2005-07-21, 7:33am
Metallic Flame Studios

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalera
LOL I don'y have 'em yet! Actually I saw this thread, emailed Bullseye, and they say they'll have 'em ready for me to pick up later this week; the colors are green / copper green / uranium / brandy... they sound to die for!
would you be willing to set aside at least 2 rods of each color for me when you get them??????

if you pm me, I can PayPal ya ASAP about them.....

Stacy

Kickin' it on a Knight, a Betta, a 'Cuda, and a SmithLittle with 3 Oxycons, Playing with Fire Since February 2004
Check out our new journey into Metal (yes, including tools) and glass...