Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-12-27, 8:35pm
I'm meeeeelting

Yep. Those two look the same. They're pretty small.

Foot Pedal Tutorial:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Kevlar Fingerless Gloves:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2012-12-27, 8:37pm

The 2d and 3d stamps are often a bit bigger and have more depth than the smaller punches.
There are a few other brands of stamps besides Tandy.
So you have all sorts of options.
Wood burning stamps are another option and often smaller designs than leather.
Old 2012-12-28, 5:26pm

Pretty glass, too!

Nolly
Old 2012-12-28, 10:15pm
It's all about the color.

When I was making up my "Tea Staining Alternatives" chart, I made use of quite a number of leather stamps. The only one I found that didn't work was an alphabet stamp, I think 1/4", and it was the letter I. It melted in the glass. It was supposed to be brass, but the one that melted had a more aluminum look to it. It was a different set than the one pictured on my page.
http://www.listen-up.org/kitty/beads/tea/tea.htm

(If the link doesn't work, edit the s out of your browser. It should be "http" not "https" Sometimes LE put in an S just for the heck of it.)

Old 2013-01-03, 6:54am

Don't have anything to add about the stamps, but thanks everyone for the wonderful ideas!
Old 2013-01-03, 8:30am
Irish Eyes A Smiling

Guess my fingers need to do the Internet walking to Tandy site! Need to make some hydrangea beads for sons wedding in June.....any suggestions of things you've seen that might work?

Old 2013-01-03, 8:42am
Jacqueline Parkes

I forgot to post this here.

I didn't see anything for hydrangeas.

Old 2013-01-03, 8:58am
I fart diamonds

Lol! I totally just googled hydrangea! I am so clueless about flowers!

I've never seen a stamp for one but if you're any good at carving, soapstone is really soft and inexpensive. You could carve your design and use it as a push mold.

Old 2013-01-03, 9:09am
Lovin' that glass...

I've used the Tandy stamps as well with fun success.

In a workshop with Margaret Zinzer, she taught us to make an impression (we used razor tool), sprinkle enamel powders over the area, then using a damp cloth (6-8" t-shirt), quickly wipe away enamel on top. Enamels will remain in the excesses.

I've also used the cutting strip from a roll of plastic wrap (you know, has the jagged edge?) and made a spiral out of it. Lay this on worksurface then push down on it with your hot glass bead. QUICKLY pick up your bead & with tweezers pull the spiral out of the glass... it wants to stick.

I'm not at home or I'd post the pictures. I,ll do that this evening... how's that?

Old 2013-01-03, 9:45am
Normal is Boring!!

Gem ow my...... what is that stunning purple glass???

Fun playing with punches- I got to get mine out again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemsinbloom View Post

~
~

Antique Brass Findings

Old 2013-01-03, 9:48am
Jacqueline Parkes

It is purple rose which I never use, ,why? no clue lol

Old 2013-01-03, 9:58am
sunscreen me baby

I have used wax sealing stamps. The brass ones that screw onto a handle are best. I had a bunch that must have been soldered to a metal handle and the plate fell right off when it got hot, lol.

It's been a while since I used them. Now I want to pull them out again.

~

Old 2013-01-03, 10:01am
Jacqueline Parkes

Hi Suzy, where do you purchase your wax seal stamps?

Old 2013-01-03, 10:11am
I fart diamonds

These are 2 places I have bookmarked:

http://www.nostalgicimpressions.com/...Stamps_s/2.htm
http://www.seasons-creations.com/Wax...Stamps_s/1.htm

It's been a while since I've used wax stamps but you can find them on Ebay for decent prices.

(I haven't ordered from either. I bookmarked them a while ago with intentions, but there was a local place so I just bought from them. They've since gone out of business. )

Last edited by shawnette; 2013-01-03 at 10:13am.
Old 2013-01-03, 10:13am
Jacqueline Parkes

Thank you for the links.

You know what I love? I went to the Tandy store, spent less than $50 and got a bunch of new tools. And then I was told if they didnt work for my needs, I could return or exchange. A Christmas present to myself.

Old 2013-01-03, 10:21am
I fart diamonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemsinbloom View Post
Thank you for the links.

You know what I love? I went to the Tandy store, spent less than $50 and got a bunch of new tools. And then I was told if they didnt work for my needs, I could return or exchange. A Christmas present to myself.
Tandy is awesome! they have all kinds of goodies for great prices, not just stamp tools. I get my leather cord from there, as well. Did you sign up for their wholesale club?

Old 2013-01-03, 10:23am
Jacqueline Parkes

No I didn't sign up because everything was already on sale and I am not really sure I will be needing anything else.

Old 2013-01-03, 10:23am
Jacqueline Parkes

I purchased some stamps for $2.50!! Omg, it was so much fun. Sale is over now though...I wonder how often they have sales. Anyone know?

Old 2013-01-03, 10:52am
sunscreen me baby

The first site Shawnette linked is the one I use. I like the wooden handles.

The other site has the handles that fall off. I put those discs into a tab press base for tab beads but it's limiting.

~

Old 2013-01-03, 10:56am
Jacqueline Parkes

Thank you Suzy

Old 2013-01-03, 10:56am
I fart diamonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzyQ View Post
The first site Shawnette linked is the one I use. I like the wooden handles.

The other site has the handles that fall off. I put those discs into a tab press base for tab beads but it's limiting.
You can fix the detached ones with JB Weld.

Old 2013-01-03, 11:22am
sunscreen me baby

Yah, but I won't

~

Old 2013-01-03, 5:49pm
The Harbinger of Cuteness

Took a drive "all the way around" the island after buying our new car and at one of the stops up in the mountains near Kokee I found a dozen or so huge hydrangea bushes. I'd never seen hydrangeas in real life before, never realized how beautiful they were.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnette View Post
Lol! I totally just googled hydrangea! I am so clueless about flowers!

I've never seen a stamp for one but if you're any good at carving, soapstone is really soft and inexpensive. You could carve your design and use it as a push mold.

~
~

#M-191
Old 2013-01-03, 6:22pm

I have used the Tandy tools for years. And have used them for glass also. The 3D stamps work excellent ,as long as they are not too detail.The foot print works fine too. I have the Indian, crosses, buffalo,heart in the 3D stamps. What is nice about the crafttools is the different patterns. Some are being clearaned out now. Thats why they are on sale.
The oak leaf and acorns are nice ones to use also.
They also have the skull ,dragon,owl patterns also.So many more. I love being on their mailing list because catalog of the tools , I can look at and decide which ones I want. and you get to see what tools they are releasing for the yr.
For $35 wholesale club price you really save.
Janet

Last edited by Janetlee; 2013-01-03 at 6:33pm. Reason: more info
Old 2013-01-03, 6:43pm
sunscreen me baby

Hydrangeas are one of the few things that will grow in my sandy soil.

~

Old 2018-02-12, 5:58pm
JulieV

Great tips here! Thanks everyone.