No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-10-25, 9:25am
And silence is golden

Default Lauscha Opaque Teal

Some years back, Lauscha had a gorgeous teal opaque. Somewhere along the way, it was replaced with Slate Blue. Not the same as the old teal. Does anyone have any of this in their stash, where you can post a picture of the color in rod form?

I have some beads made with it:

Old 2009-10-25, 10:53am
kindasorta Spring almost

Hi!

Okey dokey - there is no such colour as Slate blue. Slate blue is a name that one of our customers gave themselves to our opaque teal. There can be minor variations between batches, but I have teal from 4 years back and honestly, I don't think we have made any new teal in the last 4 years, so whatever is out there is the same stuff we both have. I can check the rack in the warehouse and see what the dates are on the few bundles that we have left. I think there is only thick diameter, but I cannot remember that completely accurately off the top of my head.

Give a stick of the "Slate Blue" a try, and you might be pleasantly surprised that it does the right stuff under your encasement and looks just like the beautiful beads that you have already made.

Big smile from Lauscha,
Carol Anne

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2009-10-25, 11:35am

CArol Anne. I think she means Steel Blue (aka Lauscha Dark Teak). It's alive and well on my website Aleta! I will try encasing it when I torch again. (I usually use it with Raku and I don't usually encase) but that won't be for a while because I am backed up with orders and have my other computer all apart. THAT was not a smart thing to do....

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2009-10-25, 11:48am
Puddy Cat Lover

I have some of what was called steel blue that I bought from Glass Daddy some yays and yays ago. here's a picture of my stash. Very fat rods!
Attached Images

Old 2009-10-25, 6:37pm
And silence is golden

Hi Carolanne ~ Paula is right. I did mean to say Steel Blue. The rods that I have purchased over the years resemble more of a steel blue, than an opaque teal. It used to be one of my most favorite colors!

I'm sure I'll find some use for this steel blue. I just wish I could have steel blue that resembled what Jeanette posted here. Hers does resemble the older color that was actually called Opaque Teal.

Here is a picture of what I have. I tried to make sure that my image was as close to the actual rods as possible.

Last edited by Shrimp; 2009-10-25 at 9:14pm.
Old 2009-10-25, 7:34pm
And silence is golden

Mine does look like what's up on Paula's website. I just find it difficult to call it anything close to teal. Steel Blue is definitely an appropriate title for this glass.
Old 2009-10-25, 7:44pm

Maybe that is why the American's renamed it Steel Blue! Your glass looks just like the color that I have. It a STEAL right now too at $15.00 a lb!!!

Like US on Facebook !
Old 2009-10-25, 7:53pm
And silence is golden

Paula ~ your enabling gestures aren't working on me! Lol! Now if you and Carol Anne could convince Lauscha to reproduce a new teal color, I'm all ears! Lauscha could call it Aleta's Teal! Yahoo....a glass named after me! In my wildest dreams....
Old 2009-10-25, 7:56pm

Haha. You have to work with Carol Anne on that one! They have a list a mile long from me already!
Paula

Like US on Facebook !
Old 2009-10-25, 8:00pm
And silence is golden

Jeanette and I are going to do a mini trade to compare our rods. I'm looking forward to seeing hers.
Old 2009-10-25, 8:02pm

Good idea! That is a FAB base foir raku!!

Like US on Facebook !
Old 2009-10-25, 8:42pm

Well thanks for clearing that up because I had never seen a "Slate Blue" from Lauscha. Those beads sets are awesome, espically the top set!
The steel blue aka dk teal is a great glass and moves well. Now I see why.

Old 2009-10-25, 9:18pm

Aleta I bet you and Jeanette have the exact same rods!

Like US on Facebook !
Old 2009-10-25, 10:11pm
><>

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleta View Post
Paula ~ your enabling gestures aren't working on me! Lol! Now if you and Carol Anne could convince Lauscha to reproduce a new teal color, I'm all ears! Lauscha could call it Aleta's Teal! Yahoo....a glass named after me! In my wildest dreams....
I had a dream kinda like that once.
We could have a club, where each person that joins picks a color to be named after them and...
"In the whole world I have no twin, and my face is not me. I am someone under the skin others see only in glances."
"I can live with not being popular,but not with compromising my beliefs in order to fit in." jh
"Tolerance becomes a crime when applied to evil." Thomas Mann
Old 2009-10-26, 2:17am
kindasorta Spring almost

Quote:
Hi Carolanne ~ Paula is right. I did mean to say Steel Blue. The rods that I have purchased over the years resemble more of a steel blue, than an opaque teal. It used to be one of my most favorite colors!

I'm sure I'll find some use for this steel blue. I just wish I could have steel blue that resembled what Jeanette posted here. Hers does resemble the older color that was actually called Opaque Teal.

Here is a picture of what I have. I tried to make sure that my image was as close to the actual rods as possible.

Well, now I am going to freak you all out!

First of all, any rods over 12mm thick, go into an annealer to be annealed to reduce the stress in the rods.

But even freakier, I have asked officially this morning, and to further burst everyone's bubbles, there was only ever one batch made the 29th of September, 2003. So, all of the glass that you guys have, steel blue or teal blue, stem from that one batch of glass. There can be small variations based on the difference of maybe 6 hours, between when the first rods are pulled by hand and the last ones are done, but there was no other colour that was "close" to teal. Just the one.

In defense of the name Dark Teal, well, before you heat it and work it, it does look like a dark teal. But I would agree, after it is worked and annealed, it looks more like Steel Blue. Except when encased - then the lighter quality seems to be preserved.

Smiles from Lauscha,
Carol Anne
(it is fun solving these mysteries for you guys!)

Old 2009-10-26, 7:27am

Thanks Carol Anne! You are always so much help! I guess that helps Aleta too!
Paula

Like US on Facebook !
Old 2009-10-26, 11:05am
Puddy Cat Lover

Well, the first thing I'm going to do when I get the rods from Aleta, is take a picture next to the rods I have. We might just have the same color, but if not, I sure hope it's what she is looking for. Can't wait.
J.

Old 2009-10-26, 7:01pm
And silence is golden

Jeanette's rods are probably the same. I sent mine out to her today. Hopefully she will get them by the weekend. Then we can compare. But I'm guessing that you are right Paula.

Carol Anne ~ Your date of September 29, 2003 was the production date of this Steel Blue. However, the Opaque Teal that I am referring to in my original post, was purchased somewhere in the mid to later part of 2002. I do believe my supplier was Frank DeRosa (a.k.a. Glass Daddy). In February of 2003, I generously shared it with one of my WC acquaintances. All but one little piece. I've been looking all over for that piece. Can't find it of course.
Old 2009-10-27, 8:44am
kindasorta Spring almost

Quote:
Jeanette's rods are probably the same. I sent mine out to her today. Hopefully she will get them by the weekend. Then we can compare. But I'm guessing that you are right Paula.

Carol Anne ~ Your date of September 29, 2003 was the production date of this Steel Blue. However, the Opaque Teal that I am referring to in my original post, was purchased somewhere in the mid to later part of 2002. I do believe my supplier was Frank DeRosa (a.k.a. Glass Daddy). In February of 2003, I generously shared it with one of my WC acquaintances. All but one little piece. I've been looking all over for that piece. Can't find it of course.
Wow! Cool - that predates when Ulla was in charge of the warehouse when it was still small and in the basement. I will check my private stash from January 2002. Whatever colour it was, we sure don't have any more but Ulla insists it is the same and the differences come from the fatter rods being annealed... Looking forward to the comparison shots

Smiles, ca

Old 2009-10-27, 9:04am

Ulla is pretty cracker jack!!
Aleta have you asked Glassdad if he has any more?
Paula

Like US on Facebook !
Old 2009-10-27, 12:27pm
And silence is golden

One more word on this Carol Anne, The Opaque Teal of mention in my original post was an exclusive for GlassDaddy. He was never able to get any more after his supply ran out. I think that he was only able to get it the one time. I had placed orders with him and Lauscha Lady in the following years, and the Steel Blue was all they could provide me with. I know that I can create magic with the Steel Blue, but I wish Lauscha would hear my plea for the return of the original Opaque Teal! I like working with GlassDaddy, but it would be nice if this color were available through all Lauscha vendors.
Old 2009-10-27, 1:29pm

It must have been an odd lot that he picked up when he was over there...

Like US on Facebook !
Old 2009-10-27, 3:38pm

Aleta Why not mix some dark teal with white to lighten it up??

Like US on Facebook !
Old 2009-10-27, 4:47pm
And silence is golden

I decided to make a sample bead today. Is was quite windy, so the flame wasn't cooperating very well. I used the Lauscha Steel Blue and encased it with Diamond Clear. The bubbles are not entirely the fault of the DC. I will admit to the ones that are running along the wrap seams. The color in the bead appears to be like a Civil War Gray. That's the only description I can give it. In the photo it actually looks like a Dark Teal Opaque. I'll have to retake pics tomorrow after I adjust the white balance in the camera. Then you can all see the actual color.

Paula ~ If I add white to it, it will just look like a lighter version of this "Civil War Gray"!

Old 2009-10-27, 5:07pm

Yes. Adding white to any dark opaque color witll give you a lighter version depending on how much you add. Be sure to mix it in well.

Like US on Facebook !
Old 2009-10-28, 11:33am
And silence is golden

Here is a better picture. The 2 beads on the ends are the original Teal from 2002. The one in the middle is from the Steel Blue glass that I made yesterday.

Just putting the photo up that was done on my scanner in 2003 of the Op Teal for comparison.

Old 2009-10-28, 11:51am

So,
just because steel blue is being discussed here,
Following is a bead I recently made . It is the old Glass Daddy stuff.
The core is mix I blended using the opaque steel blue and clear, maybe 20% blue, 80% clear.
Goes transparent denim every time!
Pretty huh?

I love this color.
jo

- A work in progress

Old 2009-10-28, 12:11pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tela View Post
So,
just because steel blue is being discussed here,
Following is a bead I recently made . It is the old Glass Daddy stuff.
The core is mix I blended using the opaque steel blue and clear, maybe 20% blue, 80% clear.
Goes transparent denim every time!
Pretty huh?

I love this color.
jo
Wow...that is very pretty. It's all sparkly looking. Any dichro in there?
The blue got bright as well.
I see the difference in the old stuff and the new stuff from your pics. I never heard of lampworking back in 2002 or close to it so I've never seen the old rods but they do look like a really cool color! Hope you can find some.
Who knows....Maybe Lauscha will recreate that color one day!

Old 2009-10-28, 12:19pm
And silence is golden

Jo ~ um....may I please have that bead! Just kidding. That is gorgeous! I'm sure that mine would come out a dingy gray denim if I were to try it. While I find it facinating what color variations people come up with when they experiment with mixing, I think that the glass manufacturers should stick with original recipes.
Old 2009-10-28, 12:20pm

Gorgeous Bead Jo!!

Paula

Like US on Facebook !