Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2011-05-11, 5:43pm

Default propane plumbing pics please!

Hello, I'm setting up a garage studio & am going to have the propane plumbed in. I know it needs to be copper line through the wall, but am not too sure about the specifics. Can I see some pics of your plumbing?

If anybody can spell out the system for me it would be super cool! I think I need a shut off on each side of the wall, but I'm not sure where the regulator goes.

Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-05-11, 6:52pm
Gentleman of Leisure

Here is one installation...

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=194568

Basically you need to bring propane down to about 10 psi before entering building. So you need regulator between outside shutoff and tank.

You can put a secondary adjustable regulator inside. IF you feel it necessary. Or you can just opt for a 2 psi regulator outside and forget the inside regulator and probably will be quite happy with that....

Some basic notes here....

http://www.artglassanswers.com/forum...opic.php?t=208

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal

Last edited by Dale M.; 2011-05-11 at 6:58pm.
Old 2011-05-12, 9:50am

Thanks!

|
Old 2011-05-12, 10:08am
Mary Lockwood

This is extraordinarily helpful:

http://lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125930

Old 2011-05-12, 11:48am
Gentleman of Leisure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
By far the best....

Dale

Old 2011-05-15, 12:00pm

Those posts with drawings & photos are awesome, thanks! So much easier to wrap my head around this when visuals are involved!

|
Old 2011-05-19, 1:22am

Hey Dale,

Got a question, is there any need for a dirt trap with propane like is used with NG? I'm thinking about the oil that is used in propane and it collecting in the black pipe, at shut offs etc. Maybe a T fitting inside with a 1-2 in long pipe to a shut off, 4 in long pipe and cap. Once in a while the collected junk could be purged by turning the shut off off and removing the cap, with the tank valve off of course. Don't know if it would be worth it or not. I see posts about hanging up hoses each time they are used to drain the oil out, so I would think there is a need for something on the fixed pipe, but not sure...
Old 2011-05-19, 7:15am
Gentleman of Leisure

I'm not entirety sure, but modern plumbing seems to be ignoring the dirt trap plumbing like one used to see in older homes.... Actually did you ever see any instructions for cleaning a "dirt trap".... No one even seems to mention it in plumbing to day.... Interesting question... I'll have to do follow up research...

Actually the "oil" you mention (I'm guessing) is "Ethyl Mercaptan" (propane odorant) and is a "flammable" liquid so it should not be an issue...

Only other oils one may find in line (hoses) may come from the polymers uses in the hoses to keep them pliable.... In single fuel torch applications (hothead) the high pressure reacts with hose construction and squeezes out some of the polymers which tends to clog the orifice of the hot head ... BUT the polymer leach out does not seem to effect "twin hose" at low pressures that we use... Most people think the problem with bulk fuels and hothead is dirty propane, but I have yet to seen anything officially that propane is dirty and carries oils and vapors (other than water vapor) that causes problems...

Dale

Old 2011-05-20, 7:33am
Gentleman of Leisure

Update...

Well I have looked around a bit. And I have found everything from "international rules require them" to "Oklahoma has dropped there requirement for them because they rust out and cause leaks"...

There seem to be no real authority on them.... One site that has a school course on how do plumbing by Georgia's plumbing association and states that they are not really necessary but went into two or three pages how to do them.... Another site states you only need them before automated valves....

Actually looked behind my kitchen range -None... Looked behind my gas clothes drier -None... Looked beside my forced air furnace-None... Looked at gas outlet on screen porch for BBQ-None...Looked at gas water heater, it has one????? (but looks amateurish)... Disclaimer- All plumbing is as it was when we purchased house and as professionally inspected before purchase....

Bottom line is probably if you feel it needs one or there is a code requirement you can find, do it....

Dale

Old 2011-05-24, 12:26am
picking Job's Tears

Thank you Dale for this thread and Mary for the link to De's tutorial, which answered my question. It's the only place I found where I found gas plumbing tape mentioned. Will have to go and buy gas plumbing tape tomorrow.
-
-
-

Palms Etc. tropical seeds and cuttings:

HotHead on bulk propane and a Glasshive kiln