LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2011-07-23, 8:13pm

Default Are there guidelines for distance from torch to back wall?

I am currently using a Nortel Minor torch, but this fall we plan to renovate the "glass studio" and I am upgrading to a GTT scorpion. I can find lots of advice about ventilation systems, but I have not seen any guidelines for how much space needs to be between the torch face and the back wall. I assume it varies for various sized torches and possibly whether you have a metal sheet with air space between it and non flamable cement board. If this has been covered before, can anyone point me in the right direction? Thank-you in advance.
Darrell
Old 2011-07-24, 8:29am
Gentleman of Leisure

Basically its sort of after torch is in operation for a while, and you can place hand on wall behind torch and is may be slightly warm (not uncomfortably hot) you are pretty safe... Usually 12 to 18 inches.... So if you have a minimum depth of bench of say 24 inches, and torch is at front edge of bench you should be pretty good....Obviously further torch is away from wall the better... But distance may not always be practical... It does not hurt to have nonflammable backing like metal or cement board with small air space for convection to carry any heat away that may penetrate through "heat shield"...

Dale

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2011-07-24, 10:48am
Curmudgeon Engineering

If the wall catches on fire your torch is too close!

LOL

What Dale said actually!
Old 2011-07-24, 10:56am

Thank-you Dale. I appreciate all you safety posts here on LE. The renovation will probably have a built in counter as opposed to a movable table, so if it isn't wide enough, to won't be easy to change it. I was worried that I might need three feet or more, which would cut into room space.
Darrell
Old 2011-07-24, 10:56am
Curmudgeon Engineering

Thought I might add some comments/observations here to offset my facetious remark above.

Most people operate their torch at a 45 degree or so angle upward. Work benches are usually (always) 24" or more deep. People with these shallow benches usually put something like hardiboard on the wall. Sheet metal spaced a half inch from the wall is also excellent. If the ventilation is adequate the hot gasses are drawn up and out fast enough that the wall remains relatively cool. It will get warm but no where near combustion temps. If your bench is shallow then you might look at making a torch extension on your table to move the torch further away from the wall; sort of like a diving board or porch where your torch is mounted. This platform can be made to swing out of the way if space is critical.

HTH, PJH

Last edited by cheng076; 2011-07-24 at 10:59am.
Old 2011-07-24, 3:50pm

Thank-you for the comments. I didn't find your remark facetious.
Darrell
Old 2011-07-27, 5:52am
Unmedicated since '62

I have posters on the wall in front of my torch - I figure if they're not catching fire then I'm fine

I think heat actually rises pretty fast

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2011-07-27, 7:45am

Maybe we can make a new rule? I'll guess at 3X the length of the flame. Anybody?

Knight Bullet Burner
Tanks
mostly boro technical projects

"I'm sure I'm on a planet but I don't know if it's still earth."
Old 2011-07-28, 3:46am
Unmedicated since '62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conrad Hoffman View Post
Maybe we can make a new rule? I'll guess at 3X the length of the flame. Anybody?
I reckon the rule should be that you have to be able to hold your hand on the wall in front of the torch indefinitely

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2011-07-28, 11:11am
Curmudgeon Engineering

If you can hold your hand on something for 10 seconds but not more (give or take a few) the object is about 165 degF. That is a 'rule' we used onboad ship for checking bearings.
Old 2011-07-28, 5:18pm

Same rule works on dry land for transistor heat sinks.

Knight Bullet Burner
Tanks
mostly boro technical projects

"I'm sure I'm on a planet but I don't know if it's still earth."
Old 2011-07-28, 6:37pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conrad Hoffman View Post
Sooo with say a PM2D the. Back wall would need to be ten feet away from the torch face? Sounds pretty unrealistic compared to having a piece of cement board with an air gap between it and the main wall....
Old 2011-07-29, 10:22am
Curmudgeon Engineering

If you are getting 3 ft of flame out of your PM2D you are working some serious glass and 10 ft may not be enough!!

I would have the fire department standing by LOL!

IIRC the radiant head lessens by the square of the distance; twice the distance 1/4 the heat but that does not take into consideration the effects of vent air flow and convection heat.
Old 2011-07-29, 1:47pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheng076 View Post
If you are getting 3 ft of flame out of your PM2D you are working some serious glass and 10 ft may not be enough!!

I would have the fire department standing by LOL!

IIRC the radiant head lessens by the square of the distance; twice the distance 1/4 the heat but that does not take into consideration the effects of vent air flow and convection heat.
considering we melt 110mm tube and sometimes do melt ins on 14mm+ thick wall tube ues we do rage torches here. We also never have a 3 foot flame just going and nothing in it. When the torch is running that high its normally being soaked up by a piece of glass.
Old 2011-07-30, 9:30am
Curmudgeon Engineering

That sounds like a cool thing to watch. Serious glass indeed!