No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2011-07-27, 10:51am

Question plumbing propane to 2nd floor

Hi all-
I am looking into the possibility of creating a studio on the second floor of my carriage house.

My current set up is in my basement, hooked up to the natural gas. I'm still at the stage of obtaining estimates, but I'm guessing that it will be less expensive to plumb in from a propane tank than to get gas piped out to the carriage house.

My question, is there any difference between plumbing in at ground level and running the pipe up through the floor... or running the pipe up the outside of the barn and plumbing in through the wall at the second floor level? Are there reasons or benefits for one way or the other?

thanks-
Ana
Old 2011-07-27, 4:45pm
old fart

i think that as long as the propane is regulated down to 2 psi or below, and as long as it enters the house with metal tubing, it is OK. i would not give up on natural gas, though, i think that in the end it would best the best option as you wonpt ever have to worry about running out of gas, or freezing up and natural gas is safer than propane because leaked propane will sink into your basement and casn build up to explosive levels while natural gas is light and will be easily ventilated by your ventilations system.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.