Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2006-12-09, 3:35pm
just me

Default HELP! Gold foil and etching

I have a question. I have never etched anything with gold foil on the surface. I am sure I have seen it done but want to make sure. So, my question is will etching solution harm the gold foil??? Anyone???
Kris
Old 2006-12-09, 6:57pm
Ghost Town Glass

I found this thread, and it seems to work just fine:

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...ight=etch+foil

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2006-12-09, 7:07pm
novembersfyre everywhere

I etch beads with silver foil and wire on them all of the time and the silver stays shiny. I would think that a bead with exposed gold foil should be fine to etch.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2006-12-09, 9:48pm

I've etched beads with gold foil, and it works fine. Just don't forget about your beads in the etching solution, 'cause after a while, the solution will start to eat away at the gold. (I've done that, too ... )

Renee
Blue Moon Glass Studio
GTT Phantom & 2-Integra 10's

Old 2006-12-10, 6:55am
just me

Thanks so much eveyone! Renee, so funny you say that because I was just thinking that right before i read your response. I have a really bad habit of forgetting my beads in the solution..lol.
I really needed a positive answer to this. I am making some huge beads for a cake knife and server. It would have really sucked if all that foil disapeared! I was going to do a test today if i didn't get an answer so thanks. I am really looking forward to getting these beads finished and out of the way.
Kris
Old 2006-12-10, 9:48am
Present tense

It'll be fine. And the "good" news is that if you burned the gold foil in places and it's an ugly gray, the etching solution will remove those parts and leave the pretty, shiny gold.

|
|

- non-glassy de-stash (shoes, books, yarn, Coach)