Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2014-10-10, 7:27pm

Question Failing Oxygen Centrator Or Normal Operation?

Hey Everyone,

I first got started into lampworking about ten years ago. I bought a bunch of stuff from sundanceglass and a Puritian Bennett Companion 590 from a local supplier. I remember working nice flames for the introduction to scientific glass blowing at UiC on National 3As. I had a smal oxygen tank I used up quickly but I do recall the tank giving me far better flame output than the 590.

I am now in the bay area and I recently tried firing up my 590 and it worked for a little bit then failed. Upon closer examination the rubber hoses inside became brittle and cracked. I replaced this with newer rubber line and now seems to work fine.

This following thread answers my question about the flame bursting from oxidizing to reducing periodically which seems to be in the orders of minutes. Not sure if it's been decreasing in time intervals.

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...or+puritan+590

I recently purchased off craigslist a InvaCare Platinum 10 Oxygen Concentrator http://www.invacare.com/cgi-bin/imhq...OID=-536890256

and I'm noticing that at 4.5LPM the InvaCare is performing at a rate that isn't even comparable with the Companion 590 at 4.5LPM. In fact at roughly it seems that with the Invacare at 2-3 LPM I'm getting the same performance as the Companion 590 is at 4.5 LPM. Is this due to the fact I'm getting roughly DOUBLE the PSI output out of the InvaCare (9 +/- 0.5 PSI) vs (5 +/- 0.5 PSI) of the 590? Or is this an indicator that the 590 that I replaced the hoses on and that is ten years old (even though it hasn't been in use most of that time) is going to require more additional servicing? I'm not sure how many hours are on it exactly I can update this when I get back to my unit.

At first I thought I had already outgrew my National 6B torch but with this new supply of oxygen I'm getting a fire that's day and night comparable. I think I'm going to have to move my torch farther away from the wall now instead of looking at getting another one.

Even if the 590 doesn't need servicing and that's all I'm going to "get" out of this torch would it be worth my time to start looking into torches that take a 4 stud connection like the scorpion (most ideal setup being 16LPM apparently) or sidewinder (which I would eventually need to get another concentrator for most ideal performance) by GTT where each concentrator would connect to the respective studs? Or would would be a most ideal wiring setup be something else? In the mean time I'm going to see how long it takes to get me to the limits of this torch on my InvaCare unit.

Thanks everyone for their time.
Old 2014-10-10, 8:30pm
Loving learning

I wonder if the sieve beds need an overhaul from sitting and possibly absorbing moisture for quite a while. Hopefully someone in the know will come along soon.

Tags
concentrator, failure, oxycon, oxygen