LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-10-31, 6:47am

Default Looking for Hot Pink glass

Hi everyone, I'm new here and also new to lampworking. I've been looking around and can't seem to find any coe 104 hot pink glass rods. Can anyone point me in the right direction.
Old 2011-10-31, 7:01am
Fried Cat

Hi TSJ, unfortunately 104 fails in the hot pink glass. There is CIM Gellys Sty and Effetre Rubino Oro as well as Effetre Dark Pink Alabaster (my three favorite on their own vivid pinks) but to gain true "hot pink", you often have to layer colors and incorporate DH Clio and Kalypso.

At least to my also newbie understanding, there it is. You may also find some tutorials. I know there is a lovely Bollywood Pinks tutorial from a fellow LE member. I have her other two silver tutorials and they're wonderful.

http://www.etsy.com/listing/77420172...ss-sing-volume
Old 2011-10-31, 7:25am
Lampworkaholic!

Veiled Rubino is a beautiful bright pink. Reichenbach Pink Lady is another. Reichenbach Opal Raspberry is worth a look. And Bullseye makes a range of bright and hot pinks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2011-10-31, 8:07am
Meet Molly

Anouk (Troll Lover on LE) has a new tutorial out on Hot Pink beads entitled "Tutorial Making Silver Glass Sing Vol. 3 - BOLLYWOOD PINKS."

Click here to see its description and pics on her etsy site:

http://www.etsy.com/listing/77420172/tutorial-making-silver-glass-sing-volume[/url]

Very talented artist!!!
Neomi
Old 2011-10-31, 9:03am
Fried Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by erose View Post
Veiled Rubino is a beautiful bright pink. Reichenbach Pink Lady is another. Reichenbach Opal Raspberry is worth a look. And Bullseye makes a range of bright and hot pinks.

I haven't used Pink Lady yet. I did a bit of searchling and that is a pretty perfect "cranberry" for Christmas. I wonder if a bit of white enamel and etching it would make nice "frozen" Christmas cranberries...

Bullseye has a few more pinks, you're right about that. I'm still new but discovering that Bullseye fills quite a few "gaps" in the 104 color palette. I've tried not to stray into the other COES though. I have an addiction to color and hoarding another brand would cause my husband a coronary.

Anyway, TSJ here's another link that has Pink Lady and a few other color recipes for you to try.

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=197513
Old 2011-10-31, 9:28pm

Thanks for the replies,

I will check out all the links provided and order the glass suggested to see what I can come up with.

One of the best things I've read from the links is this "The closest way to get a hot pink is to super heat the snot out of EDP (evil purple) and then cool it really quick (using graphite or brass)."

I'll have to play around with as many colors close to hot pink and see what I come up with.
Old 2011-10-31, 10:17pm
one day at a time

Mix equal parts of BE cranberry and neo lavender transparent = hot pink

You can mix in a little more cranberry and you get magenta.
Old 2011-10-31, 10:28pm
Entropy increasing....

I don't know who came up with the Clio over transparent orange, but it's the most intense pink ever.

Who ever that was, thank you.

_DSC0012 by Kevanaponte, on Flickr
Old 2011-11-01, 12:04am
Unmedicated since '62

ah, you have discovered the nasty horrible secret of the the 104 world, there is actually no off the shelf hot pink glass - there is rubino, cranberry, clio, opal raspberry (my personal fav) and a whole bunch of others that you can mix and match and experiment - but there is not a rod of glass you can pick up and say "this is hot pink and still will be when i heat it (think poppy)"

and its not true about EDP, if you heat the snot out of it its still purple, crappy devitrified purple

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2011-11-01, 12:39am
Entropy increasing....

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectDeb View Post
ah, you have discovered the nasty horrible secret of the the 104 world, there is actually no off the shelf hot pink glass - there is rubino, cranberry, clio, opal raspberry (my personal fav) and a whole bunch of others that you can mix and match and experiment - but there is not a rod of glass you can pick up and say "this is hot pink and still will be when i heat it (think poppy)"

and its not true about EDP, if you heat the snot out of it its still purple, crappy devitrified purple
Yep. To all.

I never use EDP. Haven't used it in..oh....5 or6 years. Wait I encased it once about 4 years ago. When you encase it it becomes light pinky color.
Old 2011-11-01, 7:44am

I personally have used a couple combinations over Effetre's cranberry,
I have layered it over white, dk. rose and neo lavender. All make different shades of hot pink, all of which I like - but I'm a little biased. I LOVE pink!
Old 2011-11-03, 10:59am
I ate a big red candle!

Pearl pixie dust over striking orange makes a neat looking hot pink. Maybe a bit more fruit punchy
1074close by HeatherBehrendt, on Flickr

My fledgling etsy shop

Old 2011-11-05, 7:11pm
yukue fumei

wow that looks like Christmas!

nagi

Old 2011-11-06, 10:26am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevan View Post
When you encase it it becomes light pinky color.
Like most of the opaque pinks (at least Effetre's) EDP is a striking color so even encased you should be able to strike it back to purple.

Sea Rocks Tutorial
- Ebook
- Follow me on
- My
shop
Old 2011-11-07, 10:26pm

Well I tried "The closest way to get a hot pink is to super heat the snot out of EDP (evil purple) and then cool it really quick (using graphite or brass)." and it didn't work.

So I tried "the Clio over transparent orange" the first time I got this

Don't know what happened....

So I played around with the clio and transparent orange and a few other colors and got this marble. Unfortunately it cracked. But I do see the same pink color in the marble that Kevan got.

So I will keep trying to get a nice hot pink marble. Thanks everyone.

Old 2011-11-07, 10:30pm
Entropy increasing....

Oh, you have to put clear inbetween the orange and the Clio. So transparent orange encased in clear, Clio, reduce, encase in clear.

The orange will react with the Clio and go like that top bead of yours.
Old 2011-11-07, 10:32pm
Unmedicated since '62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevan View Post
Oh, you have to put clear inbetween the orange and the Clio. So transparent orange encased in clear, Clio, reduce, encase in clear.

The orange will react with the Clio and go like that top bead of yours.
and it needs the barest breath of reduction - too much and you get blues

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2011-11-07, 11:32pm
Entropy increasing....

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectDeb View Post
and it needs the barest breath of reduction - too much and you get blues
Yep. Just wave it in the flame for 5 seconds. Don't think you know better than the glass. lol