No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Old 2013-08-02, 3:48pm
Living out Loud

Default Flashback arrestors

Should they be used on all torches?

Thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2013-08-02, 3:50pm
one day at a time

All of them except the Hothead.
Old 2013-08-02, 3:57pm

If you're using a Oxycon it most likely will not work with one on the oxy side due to the low pressure.

Old 2013-08-02, 4:13pm
Living out Loud

I have an oxycon, but I recently purchased a pre-owned Lynx and I was going to put one on the fuel side.

Thanks!

Old 2013-08-02, 4:22pm
one day at a time

They usually come in a set, so you won't need to use the one for the oxygen. It's still good to have it anyway. Just in case you ever want to use an oxygen tank.
Old 2013-08-02, 7:45pm
Living out Loud

Good idea. I have never hooked my own torches. Is it hard to do? Should I send it to GTT.......or do it myself?

Old 2013-08-02, 7:53pm
sorcerer

http://www.bethlehemburners.com/pdf/...structions.pdf
this is interesting and quite informative.

Old 2013-08-02, 9:18pm
Alaska Boro

From: Bethlehem Alpha Bench Burner operating instructions as listed above.

"The surface-mixed burner, as in the Alpha, is safer because they will not allow the fuel mixture to burn inside the burner body. Therefore, as in pre-mix burners, fire checks and flame arrestors are not required with the Bravo."
Old 2013-08-03, 6:35am
Living out Loud

Thanks, but I already have a torch. Still this information is great for future reference........... in case the buy a torch bug hits again.

Old 2013-08-03, 9:18am

IMO, arresters should still be used because surface mix torches can fail internally and mix the gasses. It may be rare, but it's not unheard of. The Bethlehem advice is good- any surface mix torch that pops or bangs when you turn off either either valve suddenly is suspect.

Knight Bullet Burner
Tanks
mostly boro technical projects

"I'm sure I'm on a planet but I don't know if it's still earth."
Old 2013-08-03, 2:01pm
one day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conrad Hoffman View Post
IMO, arresters should still be used because surface mix torches can fail internally and mix the gasses. It may be rare, but it's not unheard of. The Bethlehem advice is good- any surface mix torch that pops or bangs when you turn off either either valve suddenly is suspect.
Yep, better safe than sorry. Does your Lynx have the short hoses attached? Do you have the hose set too? Please tell me what equipment (torch accessories) you have on hand.
Old 2013-08-03, 8:07pm
Living out Loud

The Lynx came with quick connects attached.

Thanks everyone!

Old 2013-08-03, 9:00pm
one day at a time

Okay, that's good. Then all you need to do is connect the regulator to the propane tank, then the flashback arrestor, then the hose, and the torch and quick connect to the end of that. The oxygen hooks right up to the fitting on the concentrator, and you have your other end to attach to the torch quick connect.
Old 2013-08-04, 7:00am
Living out Loud

Thanks for your help now I think I can do it.

Old 2013-08-04, 7:13pm
one day at a time

Be sure to check all connections for leaks when you open the propane valve. To do this, you can use a couple of tablespoons of water with a squirt of dish soap. I use a medium sized house painting brush to dab it on. Get the brush kind of soppy, so this works best. If there is a leak, you will see bubbles forming on the connections.

To light your torch: First, turn on your concentrator and let it run a few minutes. Open the oxy valve on your torch. To open your propane tank valve and adjust the regulator, make sure the torch valve (propane side) is closed. Open the propane tank valve, then slowly turn the regulator T-bar until it goes up to 5. I think 5 is good for the Lynx. That is what I set my Bobcat on. To light your torch, close the oxy valve at the torch. Light your propane, get an 8 inch or so flame, and then slowly open your oxygen.

Pyronamix has some great videos on what the flame should look like. The neutral flame should have the blue candles with slightly yellow rounded candle tips

I'm assuming you are an oxy/propane set-up newbie, so I'm here to help.
Old 2013-08-05, 2:45pm
one day at a time

Oh! Almost forgot this!

a) To turn everything off, turn off the propane torch valve first.

b) Then close the propane tank valve, next loosen the T-valve on the regulator, so this takes the pressure off the spring inside the diaphragm.

c) Then turn off your oxy machine, then close the oxy valve on the torch.

d) Then to purge the line - light the propane flame, and open the oxygen until both die down. Your regulator needle will go down all the way when you do this.

I'm sure that's it!
Old 2013-08-06, 7:59am
Living out Loud

Thanks once again!!!!