No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-10-24, 3:56pm
What was I thinking?

Default Oxalis?

Oxalis is challenging for me. I prefer the lustrous reduction that is not opaque, but the luster disappears as I encase. Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2012-10-24, 4:22pm
Dix Harrison

Gretchen:

Haven't purchased any yet--I'm no help.

But, every time I read the word "Oxalis" I think, for just a second or two, that it is the name of a medication or drug.
Old 2012-10-24, 4:51pm
The Harbinger of Cuteness

Quote:
Originally Posted by kansassky View Post
But, every time I read the word "Oxalis" I think, for just a second or two, that it is the name of a medication or drug.
OMG, me too. Why is that?!?

~
~

#M-191
Old 2012-10-24, 4:55pm
What was I thinking?

Hahaha!! it does have a certain medical ring to it. Better ask you doctor...

Old 2012-10-25, 5:08am
Mad about Glass

Challenging for me too - no lustre once encased. Also it loses colour if worked for a while so I'm going to try small beads without much detail next to see what I get. So far I can't get anywhere near the colour that Haley showed. I'm getting just a pale greyish green when encased and used as the base for a complex bead.

[url]

Old 2012-10-26, 1:13pm
Color Outside The Lines!

Oxalis will maintain more luster under encasement if Aether clear is used as the encasing glass, but even when using Aether, the Oxalis/Helios/Notos family of glasses do not retain a strong metallic "mother-of-pearl" effect when encased in comparison to Triton, Psyche, or Aurae. In our in-house testing of Oxalis, we found that using Aether to encase preserved the metallic luster, though the encased effect is more subdued than other colors such as Triton or Psyche. Gentle heating when melting the encasing layer helps preserve the metallic effect. Oxalis is a unique green tint, and develops a strong, clean silver luster when used on the surface of a bead, which is probably the best application for this color. Unfortunately, the unusual chemistry used to develop the Oxalis green is less conducive to retaining a metallic effect under clear. In retrospect, we could have done a better job describing this color's operational parameters to our customers at the time of sale.

As always, we would be happy to replace or exchange any of our products if you are dissatisfied with their performance.

Jed and Julie at Double Helix Glassworks

Last edited by Double Helix Glassworks; 2012-10-27 at 10:07am.
Old 2012-10-28, 3:43am

...I went digging thru my shelves to find the Oxalis I picked up while I was at the Gathering a few years ago and I guess, still in its testing stages.
Had a good play with it yesterday - am pretty happy with the results. Used both Aether and Zephyr to encase... this one with Zephyr.

Old 2012-10-28, 1:40pm

I want Anouk Jasperse to hurry up with that new tutorial she promised that was going to feature some of the new DH green colors (Oxalis? Okeanos?)....

Teehee sorry, can you tell I'm impatient much? I can't help it, I love this bead!

Making beads is my therapy, but the glass definitely costs more than a therapist!
Working on a Nortel Major Minor Burner with propane & EX-10 Oxygen Concentrator

Visit my shop on Etsy ~ TrickyPixiesJewelry ~
See my latest designs on Pinterest

Last edited by trickypixies_jewelry; 2012-10-28 at 8:29pm. Reason: picture issues
Old 2013-05-11, 9:39pm

I played with oxalis today. I got some great metallic finishes. Will they wear well? Will the finish dull? I am used to encasing.
Old 2013-05-12, 2:47pm

Hi,

just for info because some people think of something medical when they hear oxalis: it's the latin name of common wood sorrel.

That plant (like rhubarb) contains oxalic acid and should not be consumed in too high amounts, especially when you have gout.

Kreszentia

My Etsy-Shop:
- selling worldwide for 5 Euros s&h flat
My Homepage:

My facebook:
Old 2013-05-12, 3:02pm
sorcerer

This oxalis is a common weed in my area, it can be very invasive.
B
Attached Images