Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions > Torch Questions

Old 2013-09-14, 7:21pm
love me love my llamas

Default Hothead torches

Ugh, I was going to order my new torch setup, but now one of my llamas need some medical attention, there goes my torch money. Love my llamas so I am happy to fork over the money. Here is my question. I bought a hothead a little over a year ago and I need a new one.I used it spring, summer and fall 3 days a week maybe two hours a day. Is this normal? I had a used one before this and I used it the same amount and had it for 4 years. Are people finding that the hotheads are not lasting like they use to or did I just get a bad one?
Thanks,
Maggie

Last edited by magsllamas; 2013-09-14 at 7:24pm.
Old 2013-09-14, 7:58pm

Based on my experience with a Hothead I feel you just have a bad one. I gave away my HH to a woman on LE that turned out it was a spare. She returned to school and doesn't appear to be using the torch. If interested I'll look up her info and you could ask her to send it to you for the cost of shipping. That's what it cost her. Can't look up the info until tomorrow but let me know. Sorry about your Llama. For the love of animals!!!
Old 2013-09-15, 1:07pm
love me love my llamas

Thanks for the offer Marla, I just will pick up one from Howaco, this week. I need to get some glass also. I can't do any torching until the llama is done with meds.
Thanks for being so sweet. I really do appreciate the thought!
Old 2013-09-16, 5:00pm
addicted to dichro

I've been making beads for 9 years, 7 years of full time on a hothead and I'm on my fourth I think? So they should last a bit longer than that. I am having trouble with slight gas leaks at the adjustment knob, this is second torch that seems to start happening occasionally with. If you have a leak there it will drive you crazy because the leak is just under your nose and only when the torch is on.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2013-09-16, 8:25pm
Slogan Challenged...

I've had gas leaks with this type of torch fairly often. Have some extra O-rings and don't overtighten anything.

Hope your little llama guy gets better.

Facebook:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Etsy:

Old 2013-09-16, 8:44pm
Senior Moment

Contact Sarah at Hothead and talk to her. If the torch is defective, they will replace it (always good to have a back-up!): here's the warranty:

Warranty: Conditions for free replacement of your Hot Head Bead Torch:
If You are the original owner and the torch is no more than 5 years old.
If the Hot Head failed due to errors in design, manufacturing or was damage in shipping.

I had one that gave up the ghost in a little less than a year; there was no problem in replacing it.

Alli

I never finish anything. I have a black belt in partial arts.
Old 2013-09-17, 7:56am
love me love my llamas

Thanks Alli, for the informations. Next one I keep I will keep my receipt.