Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials

Old 2013-01-14, 3:06pm
Angie09

Default Looking for a Disc Flower Tutorial

Can someone point me to a good disc flower (flat) tutorial please. Thanks.
Old 2013-01-14, 8:59pm

Location: Northern Idaho ~ a Stones throw from both Canada & Montana (and a short jaunt to Washington!)

Hi Angie ~ I am not sure if this is what you mean by disc flower, but this is a really nicely done video tutorial ~ I hope it is what you are looking for!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxkioRmu89I
Old 2013-01-15, 6:54am
Angie09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chibi Kat View Post
Hi Angie ~ I am not sure if this is what you mean by disc flower, but this is a really nicely done video tutorial ~ I hope it is what you are looking for!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxkioRmu89I
Thanks so much for the info .... great video!!!
Old 2013-01-16, 3:30pm

I make simple disk flowers by (1) making the disk, (2) using a pair of glass scissors to cut the disk in 5 sections, (3) individually heating the sections and mashing. To get the right size masher, I took a bastard (metal) file to a pair of flat jewelry pliers and rounded the tips.

Milon Townsend said that if you can't find the right tool, look around and see what you can adapt.

I tried to put in a picture of a bastard file; didn't work but just google the term and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Nolly
Old 2013-01-16, 3:44pm
Angie09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolly View Post
I make simple disk flowers by (1) making the disk, (2) using a pair of glass scissors to cut the disk in 5 sections, (3) individually heating the sections and mashing. To get the right size masher, I took a bastard (metal) file to a pair of flat jewelry pliers and rounded the tips.

Milon Townsend said that if you can't find the right tool, look around and see what you can adapt.

I tried to put in a picture of a bastard file; didn't work but just google the term and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Nolly
Hi Nolly,

I've done exactly what you said up to #3....couldn't figure out what it mash the with. A petal pusher didn't seem to work like I thought it would. Any ideas?
Old 2013-01-16, 8:18pm

Location: Northern Idaho ~ a Stones throw from both Canada & Montana (and a short jaunt to Washington!)

I converted a sugar cube tong from my dining room that I use to mash my petals with when making flowers. My sugar tong looks very similar to this:

I hope I added the picture right ~ This is the first time I have ever added a pic to a post.
Old 2013-01-17, 6:28am
Angie09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chibi Kat View Post
I converted a sugar cube tong from my dining room that I use to mash my petals with when making flowers. My sugar tong looks very similar to this:

I hope I added the picture right ~ This is the first time I have ever added a pic to a post.
How does it look after you converted it?
Old 2013-01-17, 7:13pm

What about these? http://www.arrowsprings.com/Narrow_Mashers_Detail.jpg

They're on sale for $5, what a deal!

If you have a pair of non-serrated tweezers, I'd try them, too. You might have to angle them a little to get them parallel, but it's worth a try.

These are like the pliers that I filed down for a rounded masher: http://www.firemountaingems.com/itemdetails/H201607TL

Hope this helps,

Nolly
Old 2013-01-17, 8:12pm

Oh my, I'm sorry ~ I don't think convert was the right word.

What I meant is that I no longer use the tongs for sugar cubes, I use the tongs now for mashing my petals on my flowers. I use them just as they are ~ I really like how the petals kind of cup forward after I mash them a little with my sugar tongs. When I used just a small flat masher the petals would just mash out flat ~ No curve or movement.

Sorry again for my poor choice of words.

Hope your disc flowers are coming along nicely!
Old 2013-01-17, 9:43pm
honorary bead lady

You could try a couple of long tea spoons...
Old 2013-01-18, 4:54am
Angie09

Quote:
Originally Posted by houptdavid View Post
You could try a couple of long tea spoons...
Now THAT'S what I want ... but small spoons!
Old 2013-01-18, 7:40am

That is a GREAT idea that Houptdavid had! I love how the spoons nest inside one another, as my sugar cubes tongs do not nest ~ Perhaps you can rivet two baby spoons together like Davids spoons.
Old 2013-01-18, 9:01am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angie09 View Post
Now THAT'S what I want ... but small spoons!
You could try baby spoons. Most of the ones I've seen lately have the rubber coating over the spoon but I'm sure you could cut it off and go from there.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My Facebook
Old 2013-01-18, 9:01am
Angie09

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewlie beads View Post
You could try baby spoons. Most of the ones I've seen lately have the rubber coating over the spoon but I'm sure you could cut it off and go from there.
Now that's a great idea!! Thanks!!!
Old 2013-01-18, 3:36pm

I use wire bending pliers, also called concave/convex pliers or bail pliers. Wubbers makes them in all sizes and they are great for mashing petals or ruffling, Jeri

Still selling beadstands but no more Puffy Mandrels.
Old 2013-01-24, 8:38pm

Here are the mini paddle tweezers I use, and they have free shipping now.

http://shop.hobbylobby.com/products/...eezers-111724/

Make a spacer, add 5 dots. Add dots on those, and pinch each flat w/ the mini paddles. Then give each a petal a pinch w/ a normal straight tweezer in the center. Next round, indent each with an exacto knife, my favorite tool.

It will look like you have 10 petals, or 5 scalloped ones. See the little flatties below.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1215393...&ref=craftcult

Before His throne is a sea of glass like crystal.

Old 2013-01-30, 8:51am

I use large flat mashers - melt a blob of glass, flatten, and then pull off creating a small point of glass that you can use to attach to the bead. Keep the petals warm on a small coffee cup warmer. After attaching the petals to the bead, I then use a stepped concave-jaw wire wrapping plier to ruffle the petals. I also like using the Leonardo petal puller for make the petals as well.