No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2007-11-28, 6:54am
Glass Addict

Default Goldstone Stringer....

I have tried pulling goldstone and I am using the encased goldstone in rod form. When I pull the stringer it gets very muted in the gold and not the bright shiny goldstone that I have seenin other examples. I have the ribbon but not sure how to pull that in the ribbon form.

Is there a place to purchase goldstone stringer or rod without the trans encasement? Or how do I get just the gold part of the rod to pull into a stringer? Help!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Life is too short for drama & petty things, so kiss slowly, laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly"
Old 2007-11-28, 6:56am

There used to be. I owned a bunch. I'll try to see where I bought it. I've got pretty crummy records though. Maybe someone will post before I figure it out.

Edit: I did a quick google search and came up with Moretti and More. Maybe they have it.

Last edited by Just Nancy; 2007-11-28 at 6:59am.
Old 2007-11-28, 6:58am

I think i've seen them on sale at LBSupplies.com not sure though.
Old 2007-11-28, 7:22am
Glass Addict

M&M doesn't have it (checked already) and LBS has the Goldstone mixed that Lynnie does twisties does. I am trying to find just a plain goldstone stringer with no other colors.

I would be glad to pull my own too if I can figure out how to do this and have just the pretty gold sparklies...

"Life is too short for drama & petty things, so kiss slowly, laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly"
Old 2007-11-28, 7:25am
Noobie

You could try pulling stringer using the Goldstone frit.
Old 2007-11-28, 7:30am
I'll get there!

I pull goldstone stringer by attatching a chunk of goldstone (size of a large pea) to a punty, then thinly encase the chunk with clear. Then I heat the whole blob and pull. This makes a really sparkly stringer, but it can stand up to quite a lot of heat, because of the encasing. Goldstone that is not encased tends to go black.
Old 2007-11-28, 7:36am
Glass Addict

Are you using the pre-encased GS then? The problem I am having is that with the encasement already on the prefab rod when I pull it the goldstone gets spread out and it is not very sparkly.

Old 2007-11-28, 7:38am
I'll get there!

I use pure goldstone frit, then encase.
Old 2007-11-28, 7:39am
Sorry for party rockin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Måne View Post
I pull goldstone stringer by attatching a chunk of goldstone (size of a large pea) to a punty, then thinly encase the chunk with clear. Then I heat the whole blob and pull. This makes a really sparkly stringer, but it can stand up to quite a lot of heat, because of the encasing. Goldstone that is not encased tends to go black.

THis is what I do . . . . making your own goldstone stringers is way better than using the premade ones.

Get on Ebay and look for goldstone beads. If they're larger, you can cut them in half with your nippers. I use 1/8 mandrels as punties. Heat up the end of your mandrel and wave the piece of goldstone in the flame. Stick the goldstone to your punty, then add more if you need to get a bigger blob. Shape your blob into a barrel, encase, attach another punty and pull!!

It's also fun to encase with colors . . . . transparent red makes a beautiful sparklie red stringer

Old 2007-11-28, 7:59am
I'll get there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GinnyHampton View Post

It's also fun to encase with colors . . . . transparent red makes a beautiful sparklie red stringer
I'm having a HUGE "why didn't I think of that"-moment right now! I'm gonna try that later tonight.
Old 2007-11-28, 8:08am
geekitude on two wheels

prefab goldstone rod & stringer is usually clear glass cased with goldstone, then again with clear. Just about everyone sells goldstone chunks to encase & pull like others have mentioned. Even a stringer of goldstone added to a twistie will show up if you pull it yourself.
Another interesting effect with casing different colors is using dark aqua to case - it makes the goldstone look silvery. -jen
Old 2007-11-28, 8:43am
Ad astra per aspera

Quote:
I'm having a HUGE "why didn't I think of that"-moment right now! I'm gonna try that later tonight.
Almost any transparent looks great, but my favorites are topaz, rubino and blue-violet. Just punty up a chunk of goldstone, thinly encase the whole lump, heat evenly to soften it, add another punty and pull. If you pull goldstone without encasing, it tends to burn out and look muddy.

Old 2007-11-28, 8:48am
Glass Addict

Thank you so much everyone and off to buy some goldstone beads/chunks!

Last edited by Captured Light Glass; 2007-11-28 at 8:53am.
Old 2007-11-28, 9:15am
da General

I make mine pretty much the same as Ginny except that I use a clear rod instead of mandrel. Heat the tip of the rod and flatten it into a maria, then pick up pieces of goldstone chunks, encase in clear/transparent and pull into stringer. the bigger disc surface of a maria allows me to pick up more goldstone pieces. I also preheat my chunks in a candle warmer so they don't shock.

Asked Karen mentioned above, try encasing with Rubino, it's really pretty!

|
|
|
|
Old 2007-11-28, 9:36am
Glass Addict

Thank you as well Hayley and I have a hot plate that would work well. I think I like the maria method better as it makes for less waste of glass. I also seem to have better control with a maria for twisties as well. The diameter of the mandrel makes it more difficult when doing a twistie as opposed to pulling a stringer.

Old 2007-11-28, 10:48am

Smile

You have lots of great tips on making your own stringer, Michele.

One thing I would add, is try to avoid overheating the aventurina. That is when it oxidizes and gets dark and yucky. I've bought wonderful aventurina chunks and frit size aventurina from Olympic Color Rods and Wale. Aventurina is a classic! I will always love it, though dichro has predominated my work for the glitz effect because it is less tempermental.

Ofilia
Old 2007-11-28, 11:33am
Glass Addict

oh! Pulling stringer from Dichro Ofilia? Tell me more!

Old 2007-11-28, 1:43pm
Obsessive Torch Disorder

I learned to pull stringer from Corina's stringer control DVD using the goldstone chunks on a punty like everyone has suggested. With the glob of gold at the end of the punty, I shape it into rod form with tweezers and then encase it with dark amethyst. This is the color that Corina suggested and my gold stone stringer turns out just perfect and pretty and very gold every time.

It's an excellent tutorial DVD if anyone needs stinger help (and to SEE someone do it!..not just photos).

Hope my little 2 cents helps!
~Lynn

Facebook:

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"
Old 2007-11-28, 1:51pm
Life is change. Love it

Pulling stringer from dichro is easy. Just use a dichro on clear, cover approx an inch of the dichro coated side with clear, or a different transparent colour, and pull. Try to pull fairly thick or the dichro gets too diluted.

Old 2007-11-28, 1:56pm
Obsessive Torch Disorder

I learned to pull stringer from Corina's stringer control DVD using the goldstone chunks on a punty like everyone has suggested. With the glob of gold at the end of the punty, I shape it into rod form with tweezers and then encase it with dark amethyst. This is the color that Corina suggested and my gold stone stringer turns out just perfect and pretty and very gold every time.

It's an excellent tutorial DVD if anyone needs stinger help (and to SEE someone do it!..not just photos).

~Lynn

Facebook:

Old 2007-11-28, 2:05pm
Glass Addict

I have her DVD and I have skipped around and must have missed that part so will check it out again from start to finish this time!

Carolyn - Thank you for the Dichro Stringer info and I will do that tonight as well.

Old 2007-11-28, 4:25pm
pamtees

Quote:

I did this but used several chunks at a time, covering them all with clear, and the goldstone in the stringers came out much thicker and really sparkles.
Old 2007-11-28, 4:52pm

If you need another source for goldstone, I have bought it from Arrow Springs. I have tried the idea of using beads as the source of the goldstone, but it didn't work for me, I suspect it just wasn't the real thing. But the stuff from AS worked fine. Jeri
Old 2007-11-28, 5:03pm
Peerless Thread Killer

Hi-
I buy goldstone chunks from the following website:
http://www.greatrough.com

Called Red Aventurine; they also have blue and green. I bought a small slab, break it up into small chunks, heat them on a hot plate to keep them from thermal shocking, and thinly encase them in any clear. I get a FABULOUS sparkly stringer!!!! The goldstone frit you can get is usually not sparkly-it looks more muddy. It was reasonably priced, shipped quickly and the guy was very responsive when I had a question.

Old 2007-11-28, 6:47pm
Obsessive Torch Disorder

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynn's lampwork View Post

~Lynn

Opps, Michele...I'm so sorry. I don't think it was Corina's DVD it was the "Groundhog Beads" poster of her's that I have! On the back she gives a good description and photos on how to pull a thin goldstone stringer. But...on the DVD she does show you how to pull stringer from chunks and it's the same method. She does say, on this little poster-"Goldstone can be encased in any color; usually clear, but I use dark amethyst, which I think intensifies the sparkle of the goldstone." I agree with her on this! I really like how bright and really pretty gold my stringer comes out encased in the dark amethyst...

Sorry about the mix up!
~Lynn

Facebook:

Old 2007-11-28, 8:06pm
burnin' glass just becuz

any tips on how to pull a goldstone stringer from frit? i have a lot of size 1 frit and have no idea where to start?

Give ideas away - there are new ones underneath... Diane Vreeland
Old 2007-11-28, 8:09pm

Delphi Glass also has some in stock, I just saw it last weekend!

leebeads.etsy.com, leebeads.artfire.com
Old 2007-11-28, 8:12pm
da General

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewdb View Post
any tips on how to pull a goldstone stringer from frit? i have a lot of size 1 frit and have no idea where to start?
It's basically the same way as described above with the chunks - just keep picking them up, melt them in a bit, then pick up more until you get a blob, encase in clear and pull. Using a clear punty and making a maria is the only way to do it in this case.

|
|
|
|
Old 2007-11-28, 10:12pm

I just got some of the Kugler goldstone from Hot Glass Color and love the sparkle in it. It's $6.00 for a very generous 2 oz "sample" which is enough for plenty of stringer. I got size 4 frit this time, next time I think I'll get size 5.

Old 2007-11-29, 6:37am
Sorry for party rockin'

Quote:

LOL!!! So what did you make??