Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Old 2014-01-14, 3:36pm
Got Honey?

Default Help with Mini CC

I don't know if this is where to post this but I have been having a problem with my Carlisle Mini CC.
Basically every time I turn it on I get no candles. I use an oxycon with bbq propane tank. The problem doesn't seem to be with the propane so I am wondering if this is a torch issue or an oxycon issue?
After about 15 minutes of running just the oxycon with the valve open on the torch it straightens itself out. I am in a very cold climate and there is no heat to my studio over night. Can anyone help please?
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2014-01-14, 3:45pm

Do you let the concentrator run for10 to 15 minutes before you try and light the torch? If not, that might be your problem. It should run for at least that long prior to lighting the torch.

I have no idea how the cold weather might affect it, although I think there was a thread addressing that recently.

Good luck!

Mimi
Old 2014-01-14, 3:47pm
Got Honey?

I always let it run that long or longer. I am wondering if it is just taking extra long because it's so cold?

Old 2014-01-15, 2:48pm

Default ??

I'm no expert, but I thought I read somewhere that oxycons don't like cooler temps. It might have been on the former Oxygen Unlimited (which ever one it was!) website. I remember wondering if my cold basement would be a problem.
Old 2014-01-21, 8:59pm

I'm pretty sure I read that the oxycons don't like too cold of temps. May try buying a small heater that has a blower fan and turning it on in your studio for a half hour or so befoore firing up the oxycon?

Also if you can do a holding tank for your oxycon which is simply put, one of the portable air reservoir tanks modified to fill from your oxycon into the tank and from the tank to your torch that way as the oxycon runs for the 15 mins it will build oxygen in your holding tank. There used to be a tutorial an Trey Coronettes web site for the holding tank. I did mine with a harbor freight holdng tank for about 50 bucks total cost. Hope this helps .

John aka "BIG JOHN"
Old 2014-01-21, 9:10pm
Judy Nelson

You could email Carlisle, the maker of that torch.
carlisle@carlislemachine.com
They answer promptly. I'm about to send my mini cc off to them it needs it's valves replaced or something like that.
Good luck,
Judy
Old 2014-01-23, 4:36am

When it is very cold the liquid gas in your tank does not evaporate fast.
Maybe you do not have the needed gax for the torch.
Good luck,
Chris
Old 2014-01-23, 6:37am

I'm on a Mini CC with two EX15 oxycons and propane in Colorado Springs (about 6800' asl). I've had somewhat the same problem during really cold spells, and have had to heat my garage to a fairly workable temperature in addition to letting the oxycons run for about 30 minutes prior to torching. I have extra propane tanks on hand as backup for torch fuel, but I also use them with a propane heater for the garage. My daughter, who runs a Red Rocket with oxycons/propane, also had this problem during a really cold snap we had a few weeks back -- so I don't think your problem is a faulty torch -- but rather it's just soooo darn cold!

Last edited by LadyGlass108; 2014-01-23 at 6:40am.
Old 2014-01-23, 11:42am

yup, it's the cold. the manual i have for my machines says not to run them below 50f....although i've run mine down to 40f.

it really can't be good for the sieve material though, to run them when the weather is this cold.
Old 2014-02-16, 2:45pm

Default Don't think it's the temperature

I agree that the flame looks like the pressure of the "Oxygen" is too high or what is more likely, that there is not enough oxygen.

I had similar issues with an old generator, that didn't produce enough any more.

On several occasions I did show beadmaking on a christmas market in the cold German winter. It was even below zero celcius. Neither the gas nor the oxygen was an issue if I gave the concentrator enough time to warm up.

There is a simple way to check this. Just move your equipment to some warm place and test it.

Does your concentrator have any check of the saturation, like all that are built for medical care. They do give a yellow or orange LED and produce a beep.

One thing I had only once was that the gas in the tank was dirty, but the flame looked different.

Best Regards,
PerlenFlo
Old 2014-02-16, 2:53pm
honorary bead lady

It is an oxycon issue.
They do not like cold period.
Heat up the oxycon, either with a forced air heater, or take it in the house.

Been there done that!