LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Old 2014-12-27, 1:24pm
Torching since 2004

Default Red Max Surface Mix Question

I received this for Christmas and I work primarily 104 and alot of DH silver. Just got it set up and used the top surface mix and I cannot get any color and burned the glass within second. I tried to get a reduction flame and it was pretty much non existent. I am working on tanked Propane at 14 psi and tanked Liquid Oxy at 35 psi.

Is this torch just too much for soft glass all together and especially silver based 104?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2014-12-27, 1:34pm
Glass-aholic

Try turning down your flame and working further out.

As for finding your reduction flame, it can be tricky with a new torch. I find you tube very helpful with this
Which DH's did you get. They all work slightly differently. Almost all have threads specific to each colors needs and quirks.

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2014-12-27, 1:39pm
Glass-aholic

Did you get the minor mounted on top?

WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2014-12-29, 12:08pm
Torching since 2004

Yes, I got the Minor on top and I am working with pretty much all of the DH's. My work is primarily silver and I am also working with Fire Lotus too. Frustrated as I just can't find the reduction flame and have been messing with it for several hours, wasted a good amount of glass I tried working with just the Minor and nada then the lower and nada on that too.

Old 2015-01-02, 9:44am
Glass-aholic

I work on a minor all the Time. Reduction is the one thing I really really miss from the hot head. If you go on you tube you can find a videos of how to get the reduction flame on the minor. The dragon breath thing never really gave me consistent results... It helps me however if I adjust my oxy down but not off and work on the middle to upper edges of the flame nice and cool wave the through I will get the reduction. I've been on the minor for umm 5+ years now and still feel like I'm not doing it right. Even when I do get reduction lol. (And I find it apalmost every time... It just doesn't feel the same ........ Or react the same as the hh did.. Which was the most brilliant reduction flame!)
Hang in there! I also tend to over reduce on the minor. Not sure why. Again I go back to the hh differences, but I do.. I think one of my problems is not getting the glass cool enough brfore reducing. The hh kept the glass relatively cooler, thus the bead held less heat, cooled faster, etc etc.. So I always think maybe that's it.

Reduction really took me quite a while to find again one the minor. You will get it!

Here is a great video that's not dragon breath-y
http://youtu.be/iqCPyAi68mE

Not a minor, but good info:
http://youtu.be/eu0Jfrfq5CM

And some cool tutorials that might help.
http://youtu.be/xtf4DXrHHqg
http://youtu.be/QX33QJVdEnU
http://youtu.be/a7_LO0EdYMA

Last edited by jaci; 2015-01-02 at 10:18am.
Old 2015-01-02, 10:35am
Glass-aholic

This one too is a great idea to not waste too much glass.
http://youtu.be/Dmn6AtS5ads

Old 2015-01-02, 11:38am

Congrats on the new torch! Most flames on the minor are reducing. If it's not sharp and small, it's probably reducing. I think you have been getting reducing flames and just don't realize it. Work further out in the flame and take your time, it sounds like you're being too aggressive.

Old 2015-01-04, 12:28pm
I'm meeeeelting

I'd try turning down your propane pressure at the regulator. 14 is high and not needed on a minor. Try taking it down to 4 or 5 and see if that helps. Adjust your oxy pressure accordingly.

Foot Pedal Tutorial:

Kevlar Fingerless Gloves:
Old 2015-01-16, 9:13pm

also your oxygen pressure at 35 psi is way high for a red max try turning that down to 20 to 25 psi or so . hope that helps

John aka "BIG JOHN"
Old 2015-01-21, 5:50am
kinda torching....

4-5psi propane/ 20-25psi oxygen
Its possible you havent pulled an oxidizing flame yet with the propane that high lol maybe way way way over reducing? also ive read that redmaxs tend to be very reducing torches in general due tp the design

Old 2015-01-24, 7:07am

14psi is WAY too much for the top minor burner (i assume it's a minor, as you referred to it as top surface mix on redmax) and a little high for the redmax as well.
keep your oxy at 40 but turn your propane down to 6 or 7, and try again. you'll notice a difference.