No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2013-09-06, 8:15pm
Mr Brutus RIP

Default Button displays for shows??

So I am going to do a couple craft shows with my neighbor. She does crocheting. I want to bring a small display for buttons. What do you use for shows? Or do you know of a pattern to make one? Or a place to buy one? Any ideas are appreciated.
Thanks
Sue

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2013-09-06, 8:35pm
Loving learning

I have toyed with the idea of putting a few at a local shop on consignment, and was just thinking of making some cards to put them on, then putting the cards in the little plastic bags to keep them clean. Or maybe not the bags so people could feel them & see them better?
Old 2013-09-06, 11:39pm

It would be effective to make a standing display in an irregular shape, like a star. Odd shapes attract more attention than rectangles. Even a circle would be good, or a shape that relates to your style of beads--like a kidney shape if they were inspired by mid century modern.

For a one-time show, make it out of a couple of layers of corrugated cardboard, cover with fabric (I'm thinking black velvet), add a triangle to the back to support it upright. A more durable solution would be plywood with cork on top; fabric covering optional.

Then pin the buttons on with T pins, or put a loop of fishing line with a price tag on each and hang from that.

Sewing each button to a card would be nice, too (or sets of buttons on a single card); I would make the cards the same color as the display so the buttons are the stars.

ooh ooh, if you could incorporate a shape from your logo (or create a logo to go with your shape), you could use the repeated shape to reinforce your brand. Just imagine the buyers saying, "I got this from the star lady."
Old 2013-09-07, 7:27am
Mr Brutus RIP

Thank you Steiconi! I lots of good ideas. Lots of mine are an oval shape and you got me to thinking if I could get an oval frame and then line with something
Here is how I have my buttons and want to use them.
Attached Images

Old 2013-09-07, 7:42am

Thumbs up

Great suggestions Steiconi.

Love those buttons and the hand made with love label Glassymom.
Old 2013-09-07, 5:43pm
Burning Fingers!

I put mine on cards too - however I seem to get customers who bend back the card!! What - they can't see the button on the card?? I just don't understand that kind of inconsiderate customer who makes a mess of my display. Sorry, I am ranting here - lol.

/
/
/

Old 2013-09-07, 6:09pm
Mr Brutus RIP

Jane, I totally understand......!! Thanks Blue Weaver. The handmade is a stamp from michaels, got the tag punch 40% off at michaels and watercolored kraft paper cardstock.

Old 2013-09-07, 6:56pm
Loving learning

Jane, are they trying to see the back side? I wonder if attaching them with the thin elastic cord would help with that.
Old 2013-09-07, 7:51pm

Why don't you make the display the same shape as your tags?

nice buttons!

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassymom View Post
Thank you Steiconi! I lots of good ideas. Lots of mine are an oval shape and you got me to thinking if I could get an oval frame and then line with something
Here is how I have my buttons and want to use them.
Old 2013-09-07, 8:18pm
Mr Brutus RIP

Thank you Sticoni, I really LOVE making buttons!!
I could do that....... we have one of those handsaw tools that can cut out shapes...... and I think I have a piece of wood in my studio. maybe I will give it a try tomorrow.
Thanks for the help ladies, I really do appreciate it!!

Old 2013-09-08, 6:49am
Burning Fingers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
Jane, are they trying to see the back side? I wonder if attaching them with the thin elastic cord would help with that.
They then hold the button with bent back card up to a garment - I guess so the card doesn't get in the way. They could just as easily slide the fabric in beside the button!

/
/
/

Old 2013-09-08, 1:57pm

Maybe you could design your cards pre-folded. They would stand up on the table that way, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane P View Post
They then hold the button with bent back card up to a garment - I guess so the card doesn't get in the way. They could just as easily slide the fabric in beside the button!
Old 2013-09-09, 9:45am
Redheaded Thread Killer

I love the idea of shaping your display to make it stand out. Why not try the heart shape - that seems to be the focal point of the stamp you are using on the cards?

Love the idea of pre-folding the card as well, if that seems to be happening a lot. Another idea is to maybe make a couple coin-size cutouts to each side of the button - so people can hold it against their clothes without bending it.
^^^
|.....|
|.....|
.).b.(
|.....|

(Where 'b' is the button)

Currently... torch is cold. Not sure when I'll be making glass again. Hothead and Lynx user.
Nothing on

Last edited by MistyCherie; 2013-09-09 at 9:46am. Reason: forum took out spaces, added periods for spaces