LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2014-01-21, 1:50pm

Default pinks not compatible?

I made a bunch of beads with a base of effetre clear and my various pinks. Bubble Gum, Reichenbach 104 Raspberry, Gelly's Sty and a bit of white.

They all have tons of compatibility cracks.

I am really annoyed. Any ideas on which pink is the culprit?
Attached Images

Old 2014-01-21, 2:49pm
Uh Oh....

I haven't had any issues with bubble gum or Gelly's Sty encased in clear but have had cracking encasing Reichenbach 104 Raspberry.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2014-01-21, 2:55pm
The Harbinger of Cuteness

You could do a stringer compatibility test between the 5 colors you used...

Bubble Gum + Raspberry
Bubble Gum + Gelly's Sty
Bubble Gum + White
Bubble Gum + clear
Raspberry + Gelly's Sty
Raspberry + White
Raspberry + clear
Gelly's Sty + White
Gelly's Sty + clear
White + clear

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
~

#M-191
Old 2014-01-21, 4:16pm

Aimee, that is a great idea. I really think it is the raspberry. Grrrrrr!
Old 2014-01-21, 7:41pm
Glass-aholic

I havehad cracking issues with transparent pink quartz and Rubino together. I did a dot pattern and it literally separated in a figure 8 pattern. Coolest crack ever, sad that the bead didn't make it. I also did a OY/black/raspberry twistie and encased it with the same quartz pink and it was so incomparable that it literally shelled off the base color after splitting in half. You would have thought I made a hollow bead. I was going to blame the twistie, but then made the Rubino combo, and had to blame the pink transparent. Still skeptical, but pinks... Ugh!

Ps never had any issue with the opal raspberry cracking. Some detrification that's all.
Old 2014-01-22, 2:15am
Artistically Absorbed

Actually, I haven't had problems with Riech Raspberry, but Gelly Sty encased major cracking, unless I mixed it with clear before hand, also another fickle pink that doesn't like to be encased is CIM Cranberry, it cracks every time for me.

Believe in Yourself and Anything is Possible!
SRA Artist A64

Old 2014-01-22, 7:02am

my opal raspberry has been well-behaved for me, too. no compatibility issues here.

Facebook:

Free Lampwork and Jewelry Tutorials, with easy searching, prominent linkage to your shop or site, and rotating featured tutorials:
Old 2014-01-22, 8:19am
Peerless Thread Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EchoTantuli View Post
Actually, I haven't had problems with Riech Raspberry, but Gelly Sty encased major cracking, unless I mixed it with clear before hand, also another fickle pink that doesn't like to be encased is CIM Cranberry, it cracks every time for me.
Me, too, on the Cranberry.

Old 2014-01-22, 8:21am
Lampworkaholic!

I have never had compatibility issues with any of the Reichenbach 104 colors, which is pretty amazing but also as it should be.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2014-01-22, 3:16pm
offically down under

I've had issues with Gelly Sty with rubino over it. Such a pity as they are gorgeous together.

Old 2014-01-23, 7:20am
state-eternal change

Gelly's sty has been problematic for me with encasing. I think that one needs to anneal a bit higher to.. 980F?

Old 2014-01-26, 12:35pm

So maybe it is the Gelly's? Lame. I finally find a pallet of pinks I don't burn, and they don't play well for me. LOL
Old 2014-01-26, 6:13pm
Glass-aholic

'lame' haha...

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2014-01-28, 3:36pm
SCIENCE Teacher!

I hav e cased Gelly's sty with no problems using old stiff Lauscha. Ask peeps to post which clear they are using.