No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials > Tutorials to purchase

Old 2008-09-06, 10:03am
Sheila

Default Newbie Beads workbook

xxx

Last edited by beadworkstudio; 2012-04-21 at 10:46am.
Old 2008-09-14, 1:40pm
Colors outside the lines

Default Newbie beads booklet

Sheila, this is so generous of you! Thanks so much...

Leah
Old 2008-09-14, 7:48pm
I wanna go back...

Sheila, thank you very much! I have tried some of what you posted earlier, and it's really helped me!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Andrea: A newbie with a HotHead, bulk MAPP and a Chili Pepper.
Old 2008-09-14, 8:25pm

Thank you, Sheila. I really appreciate it. I will try some of your suggestions in my class with Dolly over the next few weeks.

Minor
Old 2008-09-15, 12:34pm

Thank you for sharing....i'm a total newbie self taught and these are just great! Thank you.
Old 2009-01-02, 8:21pm

As a newbie this will be a great help to me. Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2009-01-02, 8:27pm
moth to the flame

How'd I miss this? Looks great!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
May you always have love to share, health to spare, and friends that care.
Old 2009-01-04, 10:43am
Sheila

Thanks!

I originally wrote most of this as a portfolio piece. I'm a tech writer, got laid off, and wanted some diversity in my portfolio--and this did help me land my new job. I was going to charge $5 for the booklet, but after I read some comments about tutorials for purchase, I decided to make it free. The printed copy is at cost.

Old 2009-01-04, 11:05am

Default Thank you so very much.

I am new to this whole bead thing. I am self taught and am struggling. I did not even know there was a difference in the COE between the various glasses and that they could not be combined. This will be a great help ! Oh by the way, I am flying up to Oakland, CA for an intensive class in a coupe of weeks. Thanks again.
Old 2009-02-24, 5:43pm
Unmedicated since '62

that is really good - thanks

the tip to get 5 dots is a godsend - i was twisting myself in knots trying to see the other side!

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2009-02-24, 5:47pm
Jacqueline Parkes

You rule!

Old 2009-02-24, 6:43pm
Snuffler of plants

Thankyou, you're awesome! I've learned loads already. I hope your new job gets you a load of promotions and sooper pay rises.
Old 2009-02-24, 6:48pm

Thank you so much! I definitely fit the definition of your target audience. LOL
Old 2009-02-24, 6:52pm
Yeah me!

That is awesome! Thanks!

Old 2009-02-25, 7:26am
loves glass rods

Great tutorial and so generous of you to share. Thank you
Old 2009-02-26, 9:41pm

What a wonderful idea, and great help with the dots. I am going to check it out now. thanks so much,
Sandra
Old 2009-03-13, 6:41am

I'm not a Newbie Shelia, even though I act like one sometimes, lol, but your workbook is wonderful and I learned something new from it - good work!

Sals
Old 2009-03-13, 8:07am

Thanks for sharing Sheila - great tutorial!

Shirley
Old 2009-03-18, 8:01pm
still in my jammies

Sheila,
Thank you so much for the tutorial. I've been making beads since 1997 but never knew your tricks for making well-spaced 5- or 6-dot beads. That has always been a struggle for me.

I think you've shared some really valuable information for both 'newbies' and uhm.. 'old flamers' ?

I actually first saw your tut today when I was surfing around Lulu.com. My first thought was: "Oh thank goodness, someone has gone ahead and made a newbie tutorial anyway, despite what has been said on LE about selling newbie tutorials." And then - come to find out you are giving away the download for free, perhaps because of some of the things that were said here on LE!

My thought is, as a newbie or an old flamer, it's really wonderful to have the information I need all in one ebook, with photos. I don't need to go searching the web, youtube or LE for hours to find the answers to my basic questions. You have taken the time to create this tut, put it all together, make the beads and take the photos - it's awesome! You deserve to be paid for a tut like this, because from your customer's point of view, you've just made their life a whole lot easier by putting this info together in one place. Thank you!

Not to re-hash an old discussion, but I think there is a market for newbie tuts. I hope more people will consider charging money for well-made newbie tuts like this one. So many people here on LE are very generous with their free info and tuts, and also there are lots of people who are happy to pay for them.

~
~
~

Creativity requires the courage to let go of certainties. -Erich Fromm
Old 2009-03-19, 9:22am
Sheila

Thanks for your nice words, Karolen.

The booklet started out as a portfolio piece, because I'm a technical writer and learned that my job was ending. I needed some diversity in my portfolio, so I wrote about half of it just for that. I decided to finish it because it's hard for me to leave anything half-done. I actually wanted to do more, but ran out of steam and felt it was good enough.

I originally planned on selling it for a modest profit. You are correct that negative comments prevented me from selling it. At the same time, I've always been more than willing to share whatever I know (on any topic). I had conflicting feelings over it for several weeks, and I ultimately decided that selling it wasn't worth the potential drama.

It served its original purpose, and was a big reason why I landed the job I have now. They saw that I wrote technical pieces in my own time, and that said to them that I enjoy what I do. And I do!
Old 2009-03-19, 12:20pm

I looked at this today and it is amazing, you really deserve a reward. Thank you.
Old 2009-03-19, 12:49pm
Sheila

Thanks, Carmen. Just knowing it's useful for some people is enough. Maybe I got some good karma / positive energy from the project. I feel pretty fortunate to have a good job right now.
Old 2009-03-19, 1:08pm
Wahwahbabypants

Wow Shelia. Thanks so much for providing these worksheets. I love the torch sheet idea. How would you feel if I posted the link on another glass board I am a member of? There are several lampworkers there, all trying to support one another in learning. This would be such a great tool for them. And PLEASE feel free to say no. I would completely understand if you didn't want this passed around. The last thing I want to do is step on your toes! I'm appreciative of this resource. Again, thank you.

I might go Crazyif I don't go Crazy Tonight.
Old 2009-03-19, 1:50pm

This is a great resource that you have put together! Thanks for the hard work!

Beth
Old 2009-03-19, 9:42pm
Sheila

Charlene, please feel free to share the link or the PDF. It's free.
Old 2009-03-19, 10:00pm

Sheila, Your tutorials are just wonderful! I know that any beginning beadmaker (and many who have been making beads a long time) will find them so helpful. Good job!