Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-09-20, 3:02pm
I wanna go back...

Default BOM question...What am I doing wrong?

I recently bought some BOM and have been using it with COE 104 glass. Mainly Effetre, but some Vetro and CIM too. I am finding that it just doesn't want to let my beads off the mandrels.

Up till now I had Fireworks brand (sold to me when I purchased my HotHead) that I mixed myself and I never ever had a bead not come off a mandrel. I've had the Fireworks stuff release too soon while making a bead, but all in all it was pretty decent. Since I don't like mixing the powder up and BOM has had some pretty good comments here at LE, I decided to try it. Also I hate wasting glass when the release lets go too soon and thought the BOM might be better that way. It is. but now I'm wasting glass after I make the bead and anneal it.

How long does a BOM dipped mandrel need to soak in water before I should try to remove my beads? Is there some specific procedure for using it that is different? Any help would be appreciated.

I also got a free sample bottle of Artistry in Glass brand release (in the same order with the BOM) and so today I tried it. I made two beads using the exact same glass, the same size, the same technique and the bead with the AIG release is on the desk in front of me and the BOM is still soaking and showing no signs of letting go. I have tried air drying and flame drying with the same results. Today both mandrels were flame dryed.

I'm going to try some more experiments with the AIG release (which is performing very very well so far) but I hate to think I wasted all that money on the BOM. Of course I bought a 16 oz size too. And paid to get it shipped here.

TIA!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Andrea: A newbie with a HotHead, bulk MAPP and a Chili Pepper.
Old 2008-09-20, 3:12pm

Hi Andrea!
How thick / thin was you BOM? For me, it should be thicker than I used to have my Foster Fire, otherwise i have the same problems you described.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Fritblends in COE 104:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2008-09-20, 3:15pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

How are you trying to get the beads off? Have you tried a rubber grippy thing on the bead and gripping the mandrel with pliers right below the bead?

For a truly stuck bead, drill a hole slightly larger than the mandrel in a piece of wood, slide the mandrel in the hole until the bead is resting on the wood and then take a hammer and tap the end of the mandrel where it protrudes from the bead. A couple of taps should loosen it.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2008-09-20, 3:22pm

I use BOM and the piece of wood with a hammer is exactly how I do it!!! You really don't have to let them soak that long if you do it that way, but I usually end up soaking them overnight just because I can't get to them until the next day anyways. Just be careful tap tap tapping because you don't want to bend your mandrels!
Old 2008-09-20, 4:23pm

I find that if I just crack the dry release off at both ends of the bead, that I can usually just twist them off. No water. I don't need the lecture about inhaling the dust because I am a good girlscout and wear my mask. Please don't try playing with the dry release with out a proper rated mask for this type of dust.

Alison
Old 2008-09-20, 6:07pm
A True Woofer

With BOM it's necessary to get the bead to spin loose on the mandrel before trying to get it off. Work it back and forth until it's free and it should come off pretty easily.

Old 2008-09-20, 10:26pm
I wanna go back...

The BOM was a decent constancy, not too thick and not too thin: it coated the mandrels well. About the same as the other two releases I have.

I do use a rubber gripper on the bead when trying to twist it off. The mandrel is gripped in pliers. I have ruined a couple of mandrels with the pliers trying to get a good enough grip actually.

Pounding the mandrel through a hole sounds kinda harsh. Doesn't it damage the beads?

... I just went down and tried again and finally was able to get the bead off the mandrel after 12+ hours of soaking in water and chipping the release above and below the bead off.

Thanks for all your help. I'll just keep playing with it and see if I can find a way to make it work for me.

Old 2008-09-20, 11:15pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
Originally Posted by agw View Post
The BOM was a decent constancy, not too thick and not too thin: it coated the mandrels well. About the same as the other two releases I have.

I do use a rubber gripper on the bead when trying to twist it off. The mandrel is gripped in pliers. I have ruined a couple of mandrels with the pliers trying to get a good enough grip actually.

Pounding the mandrel through a hole sounds kinda harsh. Doesn't it damage the beads?

... I just went down and tried again and finally was able to get the bead off the mandrel after 12+ hours of soaking in water and chipping the release above and below the bead off.

Thanks for all your help. I'll just keep playing with it and see if I can find a way to make it work for me.
no, because you don't pound - you tappity tappity - gently.

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2008-09-21, 6:20am
Cheesehead Packer lover

I would suggest Fusion, no matter what I try, it always works best. BOM was a pain to use because all it did was run down the mandrels.

Cherie
Sisters Beads
If you can't be kind, at least have the decency to be vague
Old 2008-09-21, 7:01am
I wanna go back...

Quote:
Originally Posted by squid View Post
no, because you don't pound - you tappity tappity - gently.
Squid, I will try that then. I have the drill and bits and lots of wood hanging around. Thanks!

Definately want to play with the stuff more to get it working for me. It cost too much to just not use it.

ETA: The AIG stuff is Fusion Bead Release.

Still can't twist off some of those beads from yesterday so I'm off to drill a hole and try the tappity tap tap method.

Last edited by agw; 2008-09-21 at 8:14am.
Old 2008-09-21, 5:32pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

good luck!

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2008-09-21, 9:29pm
SCIENCE Teacher!

You might try soaking the beads in cheep white vinegar for 30-60 min.
Old 2008-09-22, 8:56am
one day at a time

I had to sell my BOM because I could not get the beads off without major strength, bending mandrels, and a whole lot of hollerin'. For me, it was the most difficult I have ever used, and a shame because it has a smoother consistency than most out there.

I use Foster Fire or KRAG Mudd, and never a problem. Soak about 5 minutes and off they come with minimal effort and never a bent mandrel anymore. I broke my right forearm in two places pver 20 yrs ago and from the tissue damage I have gripping problems with that hand, so the twisting motion can be painful sometimes.
Old 2008-09-22, 8:59am
one day at a time

Forgot to add:

Don't throw it out, because from what I remember, BOM holds up really well for boro, and for some reason the beads came off real easy even without soaking. Which I don't recommend that because you don't want the powdery stuff all over, so soak them to be safe. But for me and soft glass with 1/16" mandrels, forget it.
Old 2008-09-22, 1:46pm
Ellyloo-YAH!

I use BOM and I like it. I've only ever had a few beads never come off, and those were my fault (too much squishing and cracking must have happened)
It should be shaken well, it tends to settle so all you get is thin stuff on top.
It should go on looking like pancake batter--mine drips a little bit but you can prevent the dripping if you just hold the mandrel over the jar a bit so the excess drips off. You shouldn't be able to 'see through' to the grey of the mandrel--let it dry and double dip if that's the case.

The only problem i don't like is flame drying.. it tends to crack and flake off. Same with getting it too hot... cracks may happen.

Plus, compared to Sludge Plus (which I started off with ) --it leaves no seams down the mandrel, and it's okay after it stays out in the middle of winter and freezes! (thawing sludge plus ruined it)

Last edited by ellyloo; 2008-09-22 at 1:49pm.
Old 2008-09-24, 9:51am
Peerless Thread Killer

Dip and Go Sludge. I only get the beads wet, scrub off the surrounding release and spin off with a rubber thingy. I do thin the Sludge until it's much thinner than I received it. It works great.

Old 2008-09-25, 6:04am
..in withdrawal....

I've found that my BOM easily produces miniature cracks when heating. When that happens it is much harder to get the bead off the mandrel -- possibily because miniature bits of the glass are lightly attached to the mandrel? Soaking in vinegar water helps, but it usually still takes some major muscle work to get the bead off. I've taken to mixing my BOM with Fusion -- it flame dries without problems and releases nicely, and all without those pesky mini cracks!