Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2012-07-30, 10:48am

Susan's back at the torch! Beautiful work! Hippie Chick always calls to me and I love the Ebb Tide on the yellow/Silver Aqua. Wouldn't have thought to do that (yellow isn't a color that comes immediately to my mind for some reason) but the results are stunning. And the Midnight Hour against the Tequila Sunrise is gorgeous.

Darn, wish I could go light the torch right now! Family coming for a last-minute visit tomorrow so I'm supposed to be housecleaning (shhhhh! I just dropped in here for a quick visit!).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Angela Kane

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-One of a kind boro frit blends!
Old 2012-07-30, 12:08pm

Wow Susan ... you did it again with the yellow pearl. Just gorgeous ... now I want to go play more with everything over Yellow Pearl!!!

Old 2012-07-30, 12:59pm

Oh man the health crisis here has finally calmed down, two out of three are back at school, and sliding back into the studio. Yesss! I am so thankful to have glass for decompressing.

What is so funny is my beads never look like any of yours - I always feel like I got a good roll in the frit, but when they come out of the kiln they look like I hardly rolled them at all. Need to be more patient and roll them a few times.

Old 2012-07-30, 1:41pm

Susan ... not sure if it will be any help but here is my modis operandi for boro frit use.

I get the bead base as hot as I can so that it will pick up a good bit of frit. Just the move from the flame to the frit tray allows it to cool alot.

I go for the really bright light orange and roll in frit that is pretty deep so I can press down and get the sides as well. I put it back in the middle of the flame and start melting the frit. I press my marver against the sides of the bead so the frit gets pressed away from the mandrel and I will even marver the whole bead lightly to "flatten" out the frit. As you heat it, it wants to ball up and disappear.

For me finer frit needs extra rolls, chunkier frit I can get away with a single roll alot, depends how much of the base I want to show through.

A nice encasing of clear always magnifies and make it the frit show more too.

That all said ... I like your beads just the way they are. I love boro ... because too separate days doing the exact same thing (or I think it is the exact same thing) and I will get slightly different results. It's part of the magic for me. And I gave up quite a while ago on getting the same results as anyone else. Just oo many variables!!

Old 2012-07-30, 5:09pm

Susan- very pretty- love the combinations!

Old 2012-07-31, 7:36am

Thank you Love yours too!

Old 2012-08-01, 11:13am
Superkitty

It finally cooled off enough to do some torching. Here are a couple of pics using Hippie Chick. The beads are over lt. cobalt, and caribbean coral. The heart is AP over white, then rolled in frit and encased.

Old 2012-08-01, 1:42pm

Really pretty Deb. I especially like the reaction between carribean coral and the Hippie Chick that yellow outline effect is really neat!!

Old 2012-08-01, 6:54pm

Very nice Deb! Love the HC over Caribbean Coral and the heart is beautiful!

Angela Kane

Old 2012-08-02, 9:47am
Queen Bee

Any hints on working the hippie chick frit over pomegranate? I'm just starting out with boro, and only 2 of my 5 beads struck to a red color, the other 3 stayed clear. The top temp in my anneal cycle is 1070. The frit looked great, but the pomegranate glass underneath, not so much

Donna

Vintage & Contemporary Beads, Findings, Chains, Trinity Brass, Vintaj, Bead Tubing, Bobbins

Handmade Artist Lampwork Jewelry
Old 2012-08-02, 10:23am

Not sure if I can be much help, I've never had a problem striking Pomegranite ... it always self-strikes in the kiln for me. But then my kiln seems to run on the hot side. I normally anneal (I think) at 1065.

I would try bumping your temp up to say 1150 to 1175 ... I know that works really well for Mai Tai Pink that is a kiln striker.

The beauty of boro ... just throw the batch back in and let it have another cycle next time you torch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeadBlossoms View Post
Any hints on working the hippie chick frit over pomegranate? I'm just starting out with boro, and only 2 of my 5 beads struck to a red color, the other 3 stayed clear. The top temp in my anneal cycle is 1070. The frit looked great, but the pomegranate glass underneath, not so much

Old 2012-08-02, 1:20pm

I agree, the HC over CC is especially gorgeous!

I have a few new experiments to share.

Ebb on Mint & Magic Mirror

Hippie Chick on Funky Citrus (exp), orange, teq sunrise, magic mirror & Lt BAP

Midnight Hour on Magic Mirror and Blue Stardust

Invictus on Slyme, Blue stardust, Magic Mirror and AP

Old 2012-08-02, 1:27pm
Bead semi-newbie

i have had the worst time striking my rods of Caribbean Coral, stays clear. the Caribbean corral frit i got strikes like a trooper. would it be possible that some rods are duds, a bad mix? seems weird.
LOVE silver glass
Old 2012-08-02, 1:52pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by saraconklin View Post
i have had the worst time striking my rods of Caribbean Coral, stays clear. the Caribbean corral frit i got strikes like a trooper. would it be possible that some rods are duds, a bad mix? seems weird.
Yes ... variances are known to happen. (or as Jenny at TAG says ... they are famous for them).

Is your kiln fixed?? if yes:

Try tossing the clear ones back in and bring it up to something in the 1150 to 1175 range and see if you get some color.

addendum: I fllippen love the color range I got out of the Caribean Coral frit. Never realized it would do all that ... I need to go back and play more. yum yum.

Old 2012-08-02, 1:54pm

OMG Susan ... absolute gorgeousness.

I would love to see in person the Midnight Hour on Blue Stardust. I might have to try that combo myself (hummm ... did I grind ALL my blue stardust to frit??)

Old 2012-08-02, 2:02pm

Default Thread Hog ALERT

Slow week at work so I've been playing:

Invictus on TAG Champagne Sparky ODD (blue tint) and the last one over Amazon Bronze ... I like Kare's so much I had to try it. Mine I don't like so much.

And Hippie Chick all the way.
On the TAG Odd Champagne Sparkly mentioned above

On Paramore Peach and then Paramore Peach layered with Mai Tai Pink

Over Champage Sparky with Mai Tai Pink and the last ones are just Mai Tai

Such fun!!

Old 2012-08-02, 2:35pm
Bead semi-newbie

I was just on this thread and came back to say "kiln is fixed" when a bunch more fab beads have appeared. wow! it just keeps getting better and better.

carib coral: i will put in kiln when i do the batch annealing and see if it gets color, if not i will cook it again.
LOVE silver glass
Old 2012-08-02, 2:36pm

Be still, my beating heart! Hippie Chick over Mai Tai is gorgeousness! And Invictus over Blue Stardust and Amazon Bronze is positively yummy! And I love the Midnight Hour over Magic Mirror! So many things to try!

Donna, that's weird that your Pomegrante didn't kiln strike; it's usually the most consistent of the kiln striking ruby colors. I anneal at 1075 and it usually does great. I heat the bejesus out of it and then let it cool a little before I put it in the kiln. Not sure if that makes a difference or not but it's worth a try.

Taking a short torch break. Not feeling the mojo and when I'm in this mood, I tend to get easily frustrated so figured I'd take a break and hopefully come back with tons of creative energy!

Angela Kane

Old 2012-08-02, 3:27pm

...must....buy....parramore.... PEACH!

Old 2012-08-02, 3:31pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson River Glass View Post
...must....buy....parramore.... PEACH!
I should send you a pix of the rose implosion I did. I took paramore peach and rolled it in Exotic Citrus frit and pulled to a stringer. Subtle but interesting final color shading. I'm really happy with it.

Old 2012-08-02, 5:50pm

Laura,
I should probably add that I tend to be heat aggressive with the torch LOL. I think that is probably the color difference. That and some repeat striking in the torch before garaging and annealing.

Old 2012-08-02, 7:04pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kare TX View Post
Laura,
I should probably add that I tend to be heat aggressive with the torch LOL. I think that is probably the color difference. That and some repeat striking in the torch before garaging and annealing.
Thanks for the tip ... I'm guilty of that myself most times. I usually use tank versus my oxycon (the con just doesn't give me a real oxy flame when I want it). I tend to go slightly oxy rich and work close to the face of my torch when boroing.

It's fun to switch back to soft and melt the bejezus out of it until my brain kicks into gear!!

Old 2012-08-02, 8:16pm

LOL- you sound like me. I'm on tanked also and usually on a Mirage but did these on my cricket. I usually just use it for soft. It has made me slow down and has been a good way to get my hand back into glass after being away. The dangerous thing switching to soft for me is I forget to warm it up and just stick it in like boro.

Old 2012-08-07, 9:49am

Hippy Chick turtle

Last edited by untamedrose; 2012-08-07 at 9:52am.
Old 2012-08-07, 9:56am

oooh love him!

Old 2012-08-07, 10:02am

Pretty sure this ones a girl

Old 2012-08-07, 10:24am

oooh duh excellent point. Love her... lol

Old 2012-08-07, 2:29pm

Wonderful turtle ... has to be a girl ... she's a hippy chick!!!

Old 2012-08-08, 2:01pm

Definitely a Hippie Chick turtle! Love her!

Angela Kane

Old 2012-08-24, 4:18pm
Bead semi-newbie

in what order do you all like this frit? invicitus seems like a "must have"
LOVE silver glass