Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2008-03-11, 2:27pm

Default ? About Black Granite Work Surface

I just got a call from a friend, she is an interior designer, she's working on a house where they are installing all black granite countertops, it seems a 6 ft span of it has a small flaw and the homeowner wont accept it.

I'm building a lampworking studio and she wants to know if I want it for my workbench, they want $150 for it. Is there any reason I shouldn’t use granite as a work surface? I cant think of any but I thought I would ask here before I shell out $$$ for it.
Old 2008-03-11, 2:31pm

That's a great work surface, I use it myself. The black works good too, since it helps to see the flame.
Old 2008-03-11, 2:37pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwynn View Post
That's a great work surface, I use it myself. The black works good too, since it helps to see the flame.
Yeah, thats what I thought, if I get it I'll probably do some kind of black tile backsplash all around as well. I really want to be able to see the flame!
I also think that $150 for a 6 foot section with finished edges is a good price too.
Old 2008-03-11, 2:53pm

You're getting about 12 sq ft and you only need the surface, not the thickness of a countertop. It's a good price for the size, but you could get granite tiles cheaper and they'd be easier to handle if you need to move or resize your work space.

FYI, even basic granite countertops run $30+/sq ft, not installed.
Old 2008-03-11, 3:01pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinj View Post
You're getting about 12 sq ft and you only need the surface, not the thickness of a countertop. It's a good price for the size, but you could get granite tiles cheaper and they'd be easier to handle if you need to move or resize your work space.

FYI, even basic granite countertops run $30+/sq ft, not installed.
Thanks Robin!
Originally I was planning to tile my work surface, but then this came along and I thought I would investigate, but you make some good points.

Off to price granite tile…
Old 2008-03-11, 3:07pm

It's still a great deal -- I'd just use the cheaper alternative for the workspace and use it somewhere else that I could appreciate it. Besides, I can hardly even see my work surface!
Old 2008-03-11, 3:11pm
In search of her path....

Id probally get it lol but I love granite anyway and thats a dam good deal.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Prints for sale in my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!
Old 2008-03-11, 3:12pm

I think I'm probably going to buy it, we are going to build a house this year and if it doesnt go into the studio we will use it somewhere else.
Old 2008-03-11, 3:37pm
birdergirl ~o~

I'd agree with Robin about using it somewhere else, but I got distracted by Johnny D and lost my thought!

~raised by wolves~sleeps with foxes~cooks for crows~feeds the bears~scrabbles with squids~antisymmetrical~politically agnostic.

Torchering glass since spring '06~ gold cricket & oxycon!~
Old 2008-03-11, 4:55pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadia View Post
...I got distracted by Johnny D and lost my thought!
Yes, he is distracting isn't he?
Old 2008-03-11, 5:05pm
Macaw Mamma

I have a couple of pieces of granite tile on my work surface... LOVE it!!!!

Torchin' with a Cheetah and a Bobcat on tanked O2
Fusin' in a Jen-Ken
Old 2008-03-11, 6:47pm

I have a piece of granite that's about 18" deep by 3' wide on my bench that's on top of a sheet of stainless steel that covers the rest of the bench; it's left over from my kitchen remodel. Granite is very durable, so if you later do decide to use it for a house project, no harm done. It's a fantastic surface for lampworking!

-Diane

My Facebook business page:

GTT Bobcat or Carlisle Lucio on an Integra 10
(and sometimes I pull out my HotHead!)
Old 2008-03-11, 11:18pm
I speak Murrini!

Good deal? That's an AMAZING deal...I'd be all over that like - well, you know what!

DeAnne in CA

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2008-03-12, 6:12am
ManBearPig

If you have $150 just burning a hole in your pocket, then go for it. There is no real advantage to it. If it were me, I'd cover it in stainless or cement board and keep the extra $125 for something else...

Old 2008-03-12, 6:51am
birdergirl ~o~

Cosmo~ me too , like almost anything, the table surface simply is not that crucial to warrent such expensive treatment. I have a piece of stainless I got at HD to cover the area that is most exposed to heat and have painted the rest of my table with hi temp. flat black paint, before that I used a junk piece of galvanized~worked fine.
Save the $ for glass or the other zillions of thing you'll find yourself wanting!

~raised by wolves~sleeps with foxes~cooks for crows~feeds the bears~scrabbles with squids~antisymmetrical~politically agnostic.

Torchering glass since spring '06~ gold cricket & oxycon!~
Old 2008-03-12, 7:20am
Elphaba Lives !!

Yes, simple and inexpensive will suffice, but there is nothing wrong with wanting something that is pleasing to the eye either. Of course your focus is primarily on the beads, but I like the idea of having a work surface that is pleasant to look at while working on them. Afterall, many times you will be working for hours on end. Why not be in a nice setting as well.

That's a really good price. Personally, I would jump the granite in a heart beat !!

Kathy

Old 2008-03-12, 7:57am

Pleasing to the eye is important to me, I also think that a black surface will make seeing the flame easier, but having never worked on a dark surface I cant say that for sure. My friend told me this piece of granite is really beautiful, it has flecks of copper in it, I haven’t seen it yet, but probably buy it and either use it in my studio or someplace else.

I'm really excited about building the studio!
My house just sold and after I move and the dust settles we are going to start building. I'm getting a 10 x 12 shed that will not only be a place to do lampwork but a little retreat for me. We are going to start construction on a new house sometime this year, in the meantime I am going to be living in a 20year old single wide trailer with shag carpeting I'm going to need a place to hide out when trailer living gets to be too much. I have a feeling I'll be living in the shed more then the trailer!

I'll post pictures when we start construction.
Old 2008-03-12, 11:18am

I use black Granite tile and love it, I just pull them up if need be to assemble stain glass projects. the down side, the granite does have a finish and a hot piece of glass will cut right through that leaving a blemish(mine also has flecks of copper in it), no biggy but something to thing about since this is a nice slab. One could always refinish the slab from time to time. I got mine on a flood damage clearance at Home Depot, only damage was to the water soaked card board boxes so I picked up quite a few replace boxes just in case I need them

------------------------
Kobuki*Delta Elite*Mirage*Blast Shields*two DeVilbiss 5 LPM* tanks* foot pedal.

Last edited by murf; 2008-03-12 at 11:21am.
Old 2008-03-13, 9:31am

I got a flawed piece of granite for like $20 for my surface...It has to be at least 2 feet square-with a broken corner. Over an inch thick, LOL.

I've got way cool handmade bags for sale in the Garage Sale area for a buck each!
Old 2008-03-13, 11:35am

That is a good price. I paid that much for my stainless steel what with all the cutting and sanding of the edges added in. Most places around here make you buy a full sheet of stainless regardless of how much you need.

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. ---- Albert Einstein

Old 2008-03-13, 12:26pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by e. mort View Post
That is a good price. I paid that much for my stainless steel what with all the cutting and sanding of the edges added in. Most places around here make you buy a full sheet of stainless regardless of how much you need.
It is a good price, and no matter what surface I use for the workbench I figure I will probably spend at least that much putting it together.
Old 2008-03-13, 4:21pm
on hiatus...

I have a black granite surface... it was a reject too... .

1) It is heavy... so if you ever want to move it, just consider how you do it. avg of 20lbs per sq ft

2) Will there by any overhang... as on the ends of your workbench? If it's more than 10"... just remember to pay attention to the weight you put over that area... too much weight and it can be a safety issue. I don't think I'd want an overhang... I cut 16 inches off this top just because it was too long for the table.

3) Will you work bench support the weight of the granite?

4) thermal shock... if your top is 3cm thick (1 1/4") and your area isn't heated and it gets cold (as my situation is) the granite can be COLD... so if you don't mind that - no problem... I don't really have any complaints.

5) yes, I can see my work area just great... and plan to add black to the metal on the wall in front of me.. the reflection from the metal in front of me is kind of bothersome.

6) dropping hot glass on it... may cause permanent stain marks. Clean with mild soap & water... or denatured alcohol to really get it to shine. Black stone really doesn't need to be sealed.. (just don't tell our shop guys I said that)

otherwise... the price was right and I love it!

Last edited by Steph'sBeadCorner; 2008-03-25 at 5:27pm.
Old 2008-03-13, 4:31pm
on hiatus...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elleth View Post
Pleasing to the eye is important to me, I also think that a black surface will make seeing the flame easier, but having never worked on a dark surface I cant say that for sure. My friend told me this piece of granite is really beautiful, it has flecks of copper in it, I haven’t seen it yet, but probably buy it and either use it in my studio or someplace else.

'll post pictures when we start construction.
I think she's talking about Black Galaxy... absolutely... I'd take that in a heart beat... that's first choice I wanted to nab when I started to work on my studio...and a customer came in and got it before I could mark it. We don't keep it in long enough for me to have gotten another piece.

Ok, I'm jealous...

I can understand how you'll want to use that in your house.. In granite ratings (by price) we have 4 groups of Program colors that we carry... Group 4 being the highest... It's a group 4.

I guess I should add I work for a granite fabricator...

Last edited by Steph'sBeadCorner; 2008-03-13 at 4:46pm.
Old 2008-03-13, 9:19pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steph'sBeadCorner View Post
I think she's talking about Black Galaxy... absolutely... I'd take that in a heart beat... that's first choice I wanted to nab when I started to work on my studio...and a customer came in and got it before I could mark it. We don't keep it in long enough for me to have gotten another piece.

Ok, I'm jealous...

I can understand how you'll want to use that in your house.. In granite ratings (by price) we have 4 groups of Program colors that we carry... Group 4 being the highest... It's a group 4.

I guess I should add I work for a granite fabricator...
Hey Steph! How have you been? Have you taken any more classes from Loren???

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. ---- Albert Einstein

Old 2008-03-14, 6:27am
ChiWowWow Mom

Sounds like the granite I had in my former kitchen...I loved it.

As you've been told it's gonna be heavy. Make sure your base/table will support the weight.
Old 2008-03-15, 9:27pm

What is the flaw? The one in the granite? If it is not worthy of house it should be much cheaper than this. 150 dollars is half of a beadliner or electroforming kit.
Jen
Old 2008-03-16, 6:37am

I was granite shopping this week. Prices are around $39 a square foot like stated above. Then add the price for the rounded edge at $12 a foot around the edge. Square edges are not any extra cost. The price sounds great but is also sounds like overkill for a lampworking studio desk.

It sure would be pretty!

Viking knit End Caps for sale:
[/url]https://heatherferman.etsy.com[/url]
Old 2008-03-25, 8:18am
Practicing perfect

If you are worried about being able to move your granite top around, just make sure your table has industrial rolling wheels that lock. They use them on Tool chests and everybody knows those can get pretty heavy.
Love the top. If I had the option of spending $150 for a work surface like that I personally think it is worth the cost vs the tiles. The smooth even surface is easier to work on and much easier to clean. If you are worried about damaging it in any way then you probably don't want to use it in your studio. I hope you opted for the solid granite it really would spruce up a studio.

Inez

Old 2008-03-25, 8:32am

Thanks for the comments everyone!
My house sold and we did a quick close, 3 weeks from the original offer, so the granite got put on the back burner. I just moved out of a 1900 sq ft house into a small, single wide, 3 bedroom trailer, the last 2 weeks have been so chaotic and crazy, I totally forgot about going to look at the granite (thanks for the reminder Inez)! The good news is construction on the new studio starts next week... I'm going to call and see if the granite is still available, but somehow at that price I doubt it!
Old 2008-03-25, 5:22pm
Practicing perfect

That's too bad. I would love to have a slab like that for my studio (someday). I just think it would so personalize the studio for me. I love the smooth surface and I would much rather have it in my studio , than the kitchen, because I don't like spending much time in there, even though it would increase the value of my home. I guess you can tell where my priority lies. Good luck in your new place, hope all works out.
Inez