Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2012-10-15, 12:31pm

Default Best Claw Grabbers

Well,, I got such great answers about the Marble Molds I thought I would ask your opinion on claw grabbers... Hoping to find opening from 4mm to 4".. on Easy to use.. strong hold.. no marks left on glass.. what's your Faves??

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Wendy
Old 2012-10-15, 1:50pm

Honestly, I don't have a fav. They all seem to be lacking something. L&K Tooling is making them now. I wanted some custom made ones, so I asked them. Maybe a day or two went by and they emailed me that they were finished. I had just asked if it were possible and told them what I wanted. lol They should show up here any day now. I'll report.
http://home.comcast.net/~lktooling/6_finger_holder.htm

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2012-10-15, 2:59pm

Very cool!! I like L&K... I think I found some that I'll try.. not sure yet.. I have just been using my tweezers for years but sometime, especially with large pieces they are difficult to use.. I'm always afraid I will drop the piece before I get it into the kiln.. and now with marbles.. eeks.. how do you hold something round when putting it in the kiln..

Wendy
Old 2012-10-15, 3:43pm

hold it in the marble mold (the same one you used to flame polish out the punty scar) on the way to the kiln

that's another place the infinite rim excels, it's got a nice long handle.
Old 2012-10-15, 4:05pm

^^^I second that!

I got the finger holders in the mail today! They were sitting in the mailbox right after I posted. The are really fab and the price was great ($42-ish not including shipping) for a custom job. If you look close in the picture, the screw head in the middle is round. I have an email in to them asking if I can switch it out with a flathead screw. That's just for my application, it may or may not matter to anybody else. I really like them though.

Old 2012-10-16, 6:25am

Aww.. I watched a video by BoxFan that showed him using the using the marble mold to fire polish and then place in the kiln.. very cool!! I'm sure I have soo much to learn.. I've never used any molds.. I've always made sculptural pieces.. this is going to be fun!! I need some fun in glass!!

Wendy
Old 2012-10-16, 7:10am

beware....marbles are addicting...more so then most forms of glass art!
i find myself putting projects on the back burner just so i can spin marbles all day.
Old 2012-10-16, 8:52am

I hear ya.. I can't stop watching utube videos on it... I'm a bit obsessed and I haven't even started...I'm in the process of enclosing my studio.. aka portion of the garage so that I can work in cold weather... so for now I'm gathering info... although today is warm enough I'm going to go melt glass.. not sure what Im making yet but.. that's part of the fun!!

Wendy
Old 2012-10-17, 7:23am
Pyromaniac

I found that I got very mixed results using grabbers and tweezers etc. Too many 1500 degree bouncing balls of glass on my tile floor so I am another "in the marble mold" guy now, though I don't use my infinite rim for that, I have another one for transporting.

Fortune Cookie say, "When things go wrong, don't go with them!"

Current Glass-Melting Apparatus:
GTT Lynx powered by 2 5 LPM Oxycons and
a sexy Barracuda running pure tanked Oxy
Old 2012-10-17, 8:10am

Hmm.. Maybe an inexpensive mold for that??.. I also use BBQ tongs.. I know.. they are not the best but.. I hammered the ends to flatten some and so that the scallops don't point in towards glass (scratches).. It's nice that they are so long...I do have to be careful when I use them so that I don't rush the cool down and cause marks on the glass..ooo and heating them thoroughly before I use them.. Seems to work on the paperweights well.. probably not so much on marbles..

Wendy
Old 2012-10-17, 8:10am
Borovangelist

I just bought a set of inside and outside grabbers to supplement what I already had. Hopefully it goes well.

And yeah, grabbers suck when it comes to things like ornaments; unless your goal is to launch it into the back of your bench at high speed.

|
|
Old 2012-10-20, 10:21pm
Progression in progress

Location: please ask for where i live to send items thank you

What would be a good claw grabber for vase bases over 5ins or so in diameter i have the med economy ones but they just dont cut and i need the bigger ones
Old 2012-10-21, 10:11am
Cave Dweller

Couple pairs of big barbeque tongs with kevlar mitts.
(Buy a cheap kevlar sleeve and cut some mitts for the tongs)

Old 2012-10-23, 5:15am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Role View Post
Couple pairs of big barbeque tongs with kevlar mitts.
(Buy a cheap kevlar sleeve and cut some mitts for the tongs)
Hey Role!! Do you have any pics of the tongs using the kevlar??

I use BBQ Tongs that I have hammered at the end to flatten them some so that they grip the glass better.. they actually work pretty good.. just make sure to heat them before you touch the glass. Also make sure your glass is cooled enough that it won't scar the glass.

Wendy