Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2006-12-19, 10:21am
The Venerable Bead

Default Momka's Testers Cinnabar,almond nugget and green envy

I can't find a thread where we are posting our results so I'll start one here.
the first pendant is green envy dots imploded with an almond nugget backing, the second pendant is cinnabar imploded in the center with almond nugget around that and backed with the green envy. The beads are a cane of cinnabar over clear rolled in clear frit and encased. I like all three of these colors. they make a nice subtle christmas combo.
the thing I love about almond nugget is that I can get it to strike a nice purple without going too dark.
cinnabar reminds me of NS rust only I can get it to be transparent or opaque, I like that. In the bail on the second pendants it's transparent but in the implosion it's opaque. I haven't used green envy that much but I do like it. It's a nice wispy blue/green as an implosion in pendant 1 but in pendant 2 the backing is a stable transparent green. what did you do with these colors?
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Paula AKA The Venerable Bead
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"I believe in pink, I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles."
— Audrey Hepburn

flaming away on a betta, natural gas, and 2 M-20's

Old 2006-12-19, 10:42am

Oh Paula.. simply lovely! I love those colors.
The first one is my FAVORITE!!!
Jo
Old 2006-12-19, 12:34pm
The Venerable Bead

thanks Jo

"I believe in pink, I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles."
— Audrey Hepburn

Old 2006-12-19, 12:41pm
Cats & Glass!

Those are gorgeous! Thanks so much - and thanks for starting the thread. Can't wait to see more!

Janelle

Ebay -
Etsy -
Blog -
Old 2006-12-19, 12:46pm
mystical cat lover 56

Beautiful pendants !
Old 2006-12-19, 5:12pm

Paula, those are lovely! Jo and I will have to arm-wrestle to see who gets your first pendant.
Anita
www.fireflybeads.com
Old 2006-12-19, 5:19pm
Shine your bright side!

Fantastic!
I can't wait to get my test glass and play.

Website!
"When you discover your mission, you will feel its demand. It will fill you with enthusiasm and a burning desire to get to work on it." - W. Clement Stone
Old 2006-12-19, 5:33pm
Serenity Now!

Beautiful Paula! I also am looking forward to receiving my goodies...

Art, Colour, Bling & Happy happening here:
Old 2006-12-19, 5:35pm
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

DANG Paula! Those are amazing looking!!!

I have my beads made and photographed. That's always been the hard part.
Cept' da hubby hid the dang cord to plug the camera into the computer,
so now I'm sitting here with (where's the smilie for "my hand on my butt" ).

Get your copy of the new Lampwork Etc. Tutorials and Tips Book

Old 2006-12-19, 10:06pm
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

Edited to add: I'm doing all this on a minor with 1 oxy concentrator.

Whoo hooo! We found the cord for the camera.
Okey dokey - Momka's tester Hardy reporting in for duty.
Here's the goods:

First, a little boro heart made from all 3 colors (thanks to Brent for the
tutorial on how to make a Mr. Smiley Heart. You are a god among men, Sir)
I really dig how the green develops this blue tone to it. Ooohhh Ahhhhh.
Name:  momkas tester 1.jpg
Views: 1718
Size:  72.4 KB

Next - a little twistie I made from all 3 colors (you can see that the Green
Envy was all but lost in here ) this is a large holed bead, so it looks a
little funky when it's not hanging from a chain.
Name:  momkas tester 2.jpg
Views: 1523
Size:  68.9 KB

Some Green Envy with Almond Nugget detailing (the one to the far right is a hollow).
Interesting factoid - the one on the far right and the one in the middle were both
made the same way - BUT the one on the far right was encased in clear. Amazing
what a difference in the color that can make.
Name:  momkas tester 3.jpg
Views: 1657
Size:  63.6 KB

Finally, some Almond Nugget and Cinnabar 'speriments. LOVE this combo!!!
The Cinnabar had the tendancy to get a bit livery if you messed with it for too long.
These 3 bad boys are destined for a bracelet. I'll post a pic of that when I get around to
making it!
Name:  momkas tester 4.jpg
Views: 1574
Size:  70.7 KB

Get your copy of the new Lampwork Etc. Tutorials and Tips Book

Last edited by Karen Hardy; 2006-12-21 at 10:28am.
Old 2006-12-20, 6:50am
McAfee Art Glass

Simple blown ornament with all three colors Green Envy stayed green here which was a good thing
Yep a heart. With all three colors I got some blues out of the Green Envy this time.

All done on a Barracuda

Cinnabar seemed to work ok in a neutral flame, I did get a little bubbling on a oxyidizing flame and some ugly spotts turned up once

Green Envy is nice if you do not need to repeat a color, came out a nice green to an ugly scummy tan depending on how long I worked it. I think it has potential once you figure out what it will do.

Almond Nugget nice creamy color, I use a lot of NS that is very similar but not as much silver surfaced as in the NS. No problems working this color at all.

Dave

Last edited by Keltik; 2006-12-20 at 2:17pm.
Old 2006-12-20, 10:53am

Don't forget to mention which torches you are using. I know that I get results with my delta that people using other torch types don't and vice versa.

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. ---- Albert Einstein

Old 2006-12-20, 11:07am
The Venerable Bead

Ok I am on a betta (switched from a midrange 2 weeks ago) natural gas and a 10 lpm concentrator. here are two val lewis inspired stone pendants. the first one is cinnabar and almond nugget and the second one is green envy and almond nugget dipped in clear frit. Both of these un-encased combos were really easy to work. I didn't get the metals rising to the surface of the cinnabar like they tend to do when using NS rust. the green stayed green in the second pendant but there's faint lavender color where the clear frit is. cool. I'm going to give all three colors a big thumbs up.
Attached Images

— Audrey Hepburn

Old 2006-12-20, 11:12am
Blowhard

Default momka

Andy made a beautiful pendant featuring Momka's new colors...I have yet to get the full workablility report from him, though I heard no complaints. I personally am loving how these colors look together. I think he will work them in a marble soon. The imploded reticello features almond nugget and cinnabar lines. The loop is in cinnabar, I love how this color looks solid...beautiful, natural lines of variation. The back features a miniature view of the front reticello and is surrounded in dots of green envy and cinnabar outlined in almond nugget. The green is a little more green in person then in the photo, but does show more transparent. The colors seemed to work wonderfully both encased and outside worked.

LISTED GOBLETS, VESSELS, NECKLACES, PENDANTS AND MARBLES 12/20/06!!!

Old 2006-12-20, 12:20pm
Type ZZZ personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venbead View Post
green envy and almond nugget dipped in clear frit
LOVE this one!!!

Great work everyone! I'm jealous!

Lynx with 2 5-lpm oxycons
Old 2006-12-20, 6:31pm
The Venerable Bead

thank you Patty!

— Audrey Hepburn

Old 2006-12-28, 9:26pm

I'm BACK! And am so glad. After almost six months without a torch... I was going nuts. Temporary torch station is up now and I played with these colors and silver fuming which I have always wanted to do.

The first is Green Envy, Almond Nugget, fumed and encased. The bead release broke on this one but it came out looking like a beautiful colored ice cube. Hubby loves it..

Second is green envy, fumed, dots of clear and encased.. The fuming provided a beautiful amber withing the encasing.

The third is cinnabar, fumed, clear dots and clear encasement. I have a difficult time with cinnabar. It livers out so easy but I know if you work it cool and easy, it will almost come out transparent red. Hard to do though.

I did one with Obsidian, fumed it and clear dots, too and it turned out gorgeous but I posted it in another thread in the boro section and Friday's S&T.
Attached Images

Old 2006-12-29, 4:24am
traumaqueen

Location: Utrecht, a town in The Netherlands, close to amsterdam

lovely all~! I finaly got around to my testglass and I love the cinabar,and almond nugget. Not sure about the green envy yet. One think I do know... you need to make a clear base when you encase this one, I had some major cracking encasing it in clear.

Old 2006-12-29, 7:22am

Suzanne,

I have worked with Green Envy for quite awhile now and have never had a cracking problem not to say you didn't... but since this is a test glass this go around, I will work on it some more to see if I can get it to crack. I love the color mixed with clear and then encased... It provides beautiful surreal blues through out.....

Really want to see what you can do with the color..

Do you have any problem with the cinnabar? I have a heck of a time keeping it transparent.. I am going to Momkas later this month and will see if she has any suggestions on working this..

Old 2006-12-29, 11:49pm
traumaqueen

I just worked the cinabar HOT but it does tend to go livery pretty fast, I covered it with yellow transparant, gives a nice orange with pink hues. As far as the green envy goes, only one bead cracked, it might even be because I kept playing with it * in and out of the flame*, could very well be thermal or something. I didn't mix the green envy, just made a little bead out of it and encased it lightly, maybe I need to use more encasing. Also, I only got transparant green, no vails or other colors whatsoever. I'll take some pics this afternoon

Old 2006-12-30, 6:42am

Looking forward to the pictures..

Old 2006-12-30, 8:21am

Still no glass for me. I think the postoffice must have eaten it.

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. ---- Albert Einstein

Old 2006-12-30, 9:48am
Shine your bright side!

Here are my first test subjects.
I use a Pirahna torch by Bethlehem, propane and a Mobileaire 4 concentrator. I crank the O2 up as high as I can go which is around 5LPM.

Website!
"When you discover your mission, you will feel its demand. It will fill you with enthusiasm and a burning desire to get to work on it." - W. Clement Stone

Last edited by swanseafarm; 2006-12-30 at 11:49am.
Old 2006-12-30, 11:34am
traumaqueen

almond nugget, encased, flame struck, love this color, it just glows. No problems working this one what soever.

almond nugget and clear frit, worked pretty hot, flame struck, love 'em

cinabar and ( okay ... I cheated northstar yellow) , makes a pretty pink if ya ask me. worked pretty hot, neutral flame, flame struck. No idea why one of them turned out lighter, my guess is the cinabar under the yellow turned livery wich causes the bead to look pastel pink instead of vibrant red with fuchsia streaks . Tends to go livery when overworked, weird color but nice

green envy. Turned out the cracked bead wasn;t green envy but some other green I had laying around on my workbench. I haven;t quite figured this color out though, doesn't do much for me so far but then again, I only made like three beads with it. first bead is pure green envy encased in clear, other bead is mixed with clear and encased. I did get some bluish things going on in there but nothing special so far

I work on a barracuda, two concentrators and propane.

Old 2006-12-30, 10:25pm

I am amazed by what you all have done with these colors! Bonnie, those are wild and funky, and love dem bones!
I'm pressed for time right now so just made some test beads. These were done with a Barracuda, tanked oxygen, and a neutral to oxidizing flame.
I usually flame strike colors so did that with the Cinnabar. It can range from a deep ruby red to a more opaque orangey-coral, and when kept hot it stays deeper and more transparent. It sometimes developed neat striations of dark transparent running through the more opaque red. I never got a "livery" color, though it tended to become opaque during the process of making a bead.
The almond nugget is a great color for beads, it doesn't have as much silver content as the NS and GA colors like Caramel and Silver Strike so it stays light and more translucent, with a nice glow. It can develop striations which add interest to the bead. It's smooth and creamy.
The dots on the multicolored beads in the picture are green envy--I got some interesting color development in it when used with other colors, it has a "moonstone" look to it then. The plain green bead was made with a swirl cane of green envy over clear, and then encased. The blue veils are faint but really add luminescence to the bead. For some reason I couldn't get the veiling to show in the picture.

Anita
www.fireflybeads.com
Old 2006-12-31, 6:46am

Anita, these are so pretty. And I love what you did with the cinnabar. Don't you love the opalescence of blue that the green envy provides? One of my favorite colors to work with.

I had forgot to mention that I worked my beads on a Dragon Bullet 7/14 which is similar to a Barracuda and I use tanked oxygen. I know that is the info Momka is looking for also....

Old 2007-01-03, 6:18am

Going through my files I found these dodads that I had used Green Envy to build. Might be a good place to share some findings here.

First is the tab bead showing some of the salmon color coming into play when I used a reduced flame after applying dots of clear onto Green Envy

Second pic is one of my first critter pieces which I notice now that I need to improve on my attachments. I suppose his flippers could fall of someday but it provides you with an idea on effects with Green Envy.

Third is a sucky little fish I was attempting but really reveals how you can get that surreal blue running through the Green Envy ....
Attached Images

Old 2007-01-03, 7:06am
Boldly going

I'm not a tester for Momka's anymore but I thought I'd chime in with these pics since Green Envy is one of my all time favorites. You can get such a nice range of color and it's so easy to work with and it's so predictable, I go through a lot. These are both Green Envy. The one on the right is heavily fumed with silver. I gave Momka a marble like the the one on the left this past Fall. She really liked it.

Many of life's failures are experienced by people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up. - Thomas Edison

|
|
|
Old 2007-01-03, 7:57am
traumaqueen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anakin's Glass Eye View Post
I'm not a tester for Momka's anymore but I thought I'd chime in with these pics since Green Envy is one of my all time favorites. You can get such a nice range of color and it's so easy to work with and it's so predictable, I go through a lot. These are both Green Envy. The one on the right is heavily fumed with silver. I gave Momka a marble like the the one on the left this past Fall. She really liked it.

obviously I did not work this color properly!! awesome!

Old 2007-01-03, 8:28am

Anakin, thanks for chiming in here. Those are just gorgeous and I have always admired your marbles from afar....

And yes, having seen the marble you gave Momka, I can atest to the fact that it is beautiful.... and she adores it. She shows it to everyone she can...

I get the great joy out of doing something for her. Whenever she gets a gift or compliment.... she just gets so excited, she glows. I love her.... cancha tell?!!!