Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2007-02-21, 5:46pm

Default Grrrrrr...bubbles!!

Help! Why do I sometimes get bubbles right next to the mandrel when I press a bead? I have tried winding on a cooler mandrel, winding on a red hot mandrel, pressing while sort of goopy, pressing while harder...I can't seem to connect anything to these fricken' bubbles!!!

Anyone know?

Lisa D.
Old 2007-02-21, 6:14pm
Certified Yoga Teacher

Do you have a photo? Are you using transparent or opaque glass? Which press are you using?

You might try posting in the tips & techniques area to get an answer from someone who knows. Sorry I'm not more help!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Liz

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2007-02-22, 7:02am

It is easily noticed with transparent glass. I am not sure about opaque glass. I will have to check that out. It has happened with the spree presses and the lentil presses most recently.

It has ruined many a nice bead and it is very frustrating.

Any hints would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Lisa D.
Old 2007-02-22, 1:48pm

Hi Lisa,
Which bead release do you use?

Old 2007-02-22, 1:59pm
A True Woofer

I'm really not sure why this happens, but it's very annoying. Here's another thread with the same question:

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9462

Old 2007-02-22, 3:07pm
Floral Obsessed

I get them with certain colours (turquoises are pretty bad) no matter what I do, but I don't sweat it. I just get rid of them.

First, I try to avoid trapping air when wrapping glass for a long bead. But, just in case, I start by laying down just one layer of glass, the approximate width of the bead I want to make. Then I heat that layer to smooth it out and check for glowing red dots that indicate air bubbles. If I see one (or two, or three...) I hold it bubble-side up just below the flame with the top of the bubble poking into the flame. Wiggle it in the flame, just heating that one section, and in maybe 10 seconds the bubble will pop. You'll see it glowing brighter and brighter, then it will get dark, then it will pop really suddenly. Then flip the mandrel over and heat the glass on the other side so that it flows down and covers the hole from the bubble. Sometimes it'll bubble again in the same spot... repeat the step. It doesn't usually happen three times in a row.

Do NOT direct the flame directly AT the mandrel for any length of time - you can boil the glass that way since it's just one thin layer, and boiled glass is much harder to fix. You just want to top of the bead poking into the glass.

Once you've gotten these bubbles out you can add more layers and you won't have any more trouble with base-bubbles. It's kind of fussy but it's better to deal with it early on than discover a problem when you're done with your bead. This is what I do right now... others probably have different solutions. Cheers - Heather

Nov. 2003-Nov 2005 --> QuietTorch, 1lb MAPP ::
:: Nov. 2005-May 2007 --> Piranha, NG, 1 Solaris oxycon ::
:: May 2007-Present --> Piranha, NG, 2 Solaris oxycons
Old 2007-02-22, 5:32pm
Certified Yoga Teacher

I was going to guess that it was with transparent glass. Sometimes you have to pick off the end of a rod with tweezers after you heat it because it bubbles too much. The other thing is that you may be overheating it. Try working higher in the flame.

Liz

Old 2007-02-22, 9:57pm

One thing I've found when pressing and repressing is to make absolutely sure that your mandrel does not move/wiggle when you return it to the press. I've found that even the slightest wiggle - easy to do when your glass is molten - will pull the release from the mandrel in the middle, resulting in a bubble.
Hope this helps.
Carol