No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2005-11-13, 3:39pm
Feverish Little Minx

Default Bleep Bleeping lentils!

Found something else I can't do..make a freaking lentil...Argh! I'm so freaking impatient! Feeling...need....to....SCREAM!

I'm still screaming, i'm still screaming, i'm still screaming, i'm still screaming, i'm still screaming...okay losing steam...squeak....pfft.

Now that I got that off my chest, I'm gonna go look for a tute.

Amber
Queen of the Crappy Lentils
AKA Queen Sucky Dots
Old 2005-11-13, 3:45pm
Goddess

Amber, you'll get it, it just takes practice. I am not sure what press you have and it probably doesn't really matter. Check the sites that sell presses, Cattwalk for example, and they do have tutorials for all the presses they sell.

Good luck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2005-11-13, 4:16pm

The best tip I got for practicing was to make a lentil in one color...and press...add glass..press...etc etc. Until you get the right amount of glass. Made a WORLD of difference for me when working with presses. Once you get the hang of how much glass you need...then you can add decorations...

Cass

Old 2005-11-13, 4:21pm
FKA Stacia

I so not an expert on presses, but I've tried a few shapes and so far the lentil has been the hardest for me. I've even considering selling my lentil press because I just pick it up, set in down and go for another shape every time. Good luck. I'm sure you'll master it if you stick with it.

Stacia
Old 2005-11-13, 4:37pm
Feverish Little Minx

Thanks for all your suggestions, and for letting me vent.

Well, I found the tute of the website from where I got the press. The press itself didn't come with a receipt or any info, and I couldn't remember the exact name. Duh! I gotta go make dinner soon, but after clean up, I think I'll give it another go.

Amber
Old 2005-11-13, 4:58pm
Feverish Little Minx

Drat! My printer just ran out of ink, and I can't print off the tutes! Argh!

Last edited by Flamechick; 2005-11-14 at 9:15am. Reason: deleted out F-bomb
Old 2005-11-13, 5:11pm

Don't know if this will help but...when I first got a lentil press I used my children's playdough to see how big to make my initial bead. Make two the same size playdough bead on a mandrel so you know what size worked. (once it's squished you don't know what the size or shape was!) Good Luck!!
Old 2005-11-13, 5:13pm
Glass Unique

Best way to start is to mark off your length on your mandrel with either a marker, or two tiny spacer size dots of glass. Fill those in, then build up the center until it resembles a lemon.
There are several tutorials with pics on many of the tool maker sites.
good luck
hugs
ChristyL

ChristyLDesigns.com

My site has beads and supplies for sale, plus free projects and tutorials.
Old 2005-11-13, 5:28pm

Another hint...

Wind on some glass, then hold it over the press shape to see if the footprint goes all the way across, if not add a little more. Once the footprint length is correct, add a little more glass and then lay it in the press and squish a little, flip it over and squish. If you still have room add a little more glass. As long as the footprint length fits, if it looks like there is too much glass, heat up a section and take your rod and pull off a little glass.

If you are planning on adding other colors (dots, swirls, etc) then you will want there to be a little bit of room.

I had the same problem at first, but once I started doing this I get a perfect fit 90% of the time.

Good luck!

Lisa D.
Old 2005-11-13, 5:46pm
Space Cadet

Boy, can I relate to this thread.

Almost taught my lentil press how to fly on the weekend.

Sally
Old 2005-11-13, 6:20pm

I didn't have a hard time with them, maybe it's because of how I learned to do them.. I took my mandrel and layed it in the press and took a sharpie marker and drew a line on the mandrel bead release just inside the edge of the lentil.. then I filled in with glass but made sure that the middle was thicker because I knew it would squish out... works fine.. now I can eyeball it... Try that it can't hurt...

Ann was in a hurry and didn't read yours first...lol

Last edited by Lizabeads; 2005-11-13 at 6:58pm.
Old 2005-11-13, 6:27pm

Marking the mandrel really helped me when I started. Also rolling the bead in the bottom of the press while it is soft but not drippy hot to get the football shape you need. This tip really helped me.
Trust me you CAN do it.
Old 2005-11-13, 6:34pm

I also think the holes come out nicer if you use 1/16 mandrels. You can make one and when you have it like you want, remelt into the ftball shape and keep it on the mandrel to help get the right size until you can eyeball it.
Old 2005-11-13, 6:45pm
Booger #7

How different we all are...I find all of the tab or tile type presses to be nearly impossible for me and forget about using a the crunch or squeeze press..I can't do it! Lentils however...I love! I have made hundreds and hundreds and never get sick of them! Everyone here had great ideas as to how to get the right amount of glass...playdoh, marking your mandrels etc. I'm going to add try using a transparent for awhile. Transparents are a little stiffer of a glass and less likely to be too soupy when you go to press. I also heat my base bead (not soupy hot, but a nice orange all the way through) and take it out of the heat, while still rotating and let it cool a little until a skin forms. I usually count to 5 or so and then lay it in my press and squish gently. Then firepolish any little rims and polish out the chill marks. Sometimes if I lose the crisp egde, I'll just heat a bit and re-press.

Old 2005-11-13, 7:21pm
No Longer an LE Member

Too bad this started in the bathroom - I think these are valuable tips that should be preserved to help others.
Old 2005-11-13, 8:18pm
Forever Grateful Beads

I'm with Pat on this one! I had a heck of a time with lentils at first (and still get wonkies), and found that using a 1/16" mandrel mad a world of difference for me.

Also (you probably already know this though)... It's easier to add glass to a "too-small" lentil than it is to take it away from a "too-much glass" lentil. I tend to make 'em a bit smaller, then add glass if I need it. If I had too much glass and pressed it, forget it.

Good luck!

Amy

Old 2005-11-13, 9:17pm
a pox upon an idiot :..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue H-K
How different we all are...I find all of the tab or tile type presses to be nearly impossible for me and forget about using a the crunch or squeeze press..I can't do it! Lentils however...I love! I have made hundreds and hundreds and never get sick of them! Everyone here had great ideas as to how to get the right amount of glass...playdoh, marking your mandrels etc. I'm going to add try using a transparent for awhile. Transparents are a little stiffer of a glass and less likely to be too soupy when you go to press. I also heat my base bead (not soupy hot, but a nice orange all the way through) and take it out of the heat, while still rotating and let it cool a little until a skin forms. I usually count to 5 or so and then lay it in my press and squish gently. Then firepolish any little rims and polish out the chill marks. Sometimes if I lose the crisp egde, I'll just heat a bit and re-press.
Sue, for the squeeze beads, just wind the glass exactly the way you would before pressing into a lentil shape, then use the squeeze, perfect every time.
I actually mark my squeeze beads using the largest lentil mold as a guide line.
I do agree, the lentil was the hardest shape to get down, well except for the pillow that I just gave up on!
Edie
Old 2005-11-13, 9:20pm

Can we get this moved to the tips or tutorials area so it won't get flushed? I need this stuff for future use.LOL
Old 2005-11-13, 9:25pm
Expert Thread Strangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue H-K
How different we all are...I find all of the tab or tile type presses to be nearly impossible for me and forget about using a the crunch or squeeze press..I can't do it! Lentils however...I love!
Same here! I was 'behind the curve', lentil-wise, I didn't get my lentil press until late this spring, but immediately it became my FAVORITE!!! It was by far the easiest for me to use. I have the pillow/diamond duo (can't get the diamond down at all but love the pillow) and a Kalera Long n Lean which is ok, I don't use it much cuz I am anal (no pun intended) about getting rid of the butt shape on the ends.

I love the tab shapes but had a terrible time with them so I sold off my tab press....now I want a puffy pillow!!!
Old 2005-11-13, 9:31pm
Feverish Little Minx

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilypond bead designs
Can we get this moved to the tips or tutorials area so it won't get flushed? I need this stuff for future use.LOL
I'm thinking the same thing! I vented in the bathroom not really expecting any technical answers, and I also posted in tips, techniques & questions hoping for some answers, and I received more answers in the bathroom! Lots of great tips that would be a shame to lose. How does one go about getting it switched to tips and techniques?

Meanwhile, my printer isn't printing so I am going to copy and paste all your answers and save them for reference.

Thanks! You guys rock!

Amber
Old 2005-11-13, 9:39pm

No ink here either
Old 2005-11-13, 10:06pm

The lemon shape and the sharpie marker did the trick for me. By the way I did send my tong style lentil shaper flying. No matter what I did I could not get the hang of press turn press turn to get the thing even. The press style is much easier.
Old 2005-11-13, 11:32pm
LE System Admin

Thread moved from The Bathroom to Tips/Techniques. Feel free to edit your posts as appropriate for the new forum.
Old 2005-11-14, 3:40am

Try starting with black - transparent blue - transparent green.

Steer well clear of white - ivory - in fact many of the pastels - until you get the hang of it.

Black is great as its not too runny nor too stiff - and the amount of heat in the glass is easy to see.

Ive found with many of the presses you can go way longer then you think (with bead out of the flame) before pressing - and with the glass a tad cooler the bead presses neater.

FYI on Lentils & diamonds I dont use the lemon shape at all - just the normal doughut wrap - and 2 heat/press cycles (sometimes 3)
Regards
Navarre
Old 2005-11-14, 3:57am

Thanks Jason!
Old 2005-11-14, 9:14am
Feverish Little Minx

Thanks Jason!

Amber
Old 2005-11-14, 9:22am
Satake Woman!

Lentils are just plain nasty. I never did get the right amount of glass, even with playdoh or marking the mandrel. However I can do pastile, octogon, saturn, squeezed and several others. Sometimes one kind just won't fit in your brain. I ended up selling the lentil and I am much happier not having it stare at me and ask why I never use it.

Satake glass in stock and ready for you!
Old 2005-11-14, 9:24am
Feverish Little Minx

Quote:
Originally Posted by navarre
Try starting with black - transparent blue - transparent green.

Steer well clear of white - ivory - in fact many of the pastels - until you get the hang of it.

Black is great as its not too runny nor too stiff - and the amount of heat in the glass is easy to see.
Yikes, I've been using white as a base, then rolling in frit and melting in! I've already decided that I was wasting frit, so I was planning on using a yellow or brown just because I use those colors less. Plan B: I will switch to a transparent. Thanks for the tip!

Amber
Old 2005-11-14, 10:22am
Give to receive...simple.

The way I get a good lentils shape is to check the footprint against the press for size then add glass to get a "Round Shape'' Yep, a round neat little ball then press and voila`, a neat lentil... I guess the trick is to find the best way that works for you by trying a few suggestions.

Good luck!
Old 2005-11-14, 10:23am
Glassy Lady

Making lentils is hard at first, but you have some great tips here.

The only thing I wanted to add is this: you can take away glass if you wind too much glass onto the mandrel.

Here's what I used to do in the beginning, before I could eyeball it. I would wind a thin barrel onto the mandrel, then hold it against the press to make sure that it was long enough to fit the mold. I added more glass if the barrel was not long enough. Then I wound more glass onto the barrel, got it all molten and even and pressed. If I had too much glass, I would get it molten again and pinch some glass off with my pliers (dunk the pliers in a glass of water to get the glass off them). Then I would reshape the bead and press again to make sure that I go the right amount of glass. Then I would decorate. Perfect lentils everytime.

Several thousand lentils later I can now eyeball it almost perfectly every time and don't need to do the above.

One more comment: use 1/16" mandrels and a strong bead release at first when doing the above, otherwise the bead release can break. I used Fusion and even with heating and pressing several times I seldom had any release break.

BHB/PANDORA EXCHANGE IN THE PATIO