Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2006-06-05, 11:55am
Type ZZZ personality

Default implosion question

If I figured this out correctly, implosions have a couple of elements that affect the outcome: placement and amount of heat, and flattening the maria.

My question is: If you want a more dimensional implosion, do you flatten frequently and firmly, or just gently? Reason I'm asking is I tried to do an implosion with squiggly lines, and they came out flat, instead of sticking up into the glass. I wish my camera was working so I could take a picture...

If you understand what I'm asking, please help!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lynx with 2 5-lpm oxycons
Old 2006-06-05, 12:06pm
ManBearPig

To maintain the shape, what works best for me is to heat it less and marver it more gently. A lot of heat and pressure makes it "bloom" like a flower.

Also, when heating, turn the piece around so the bottom of the maria (the part that touches the marver) is pointing towards the flame. That will pull the dots (or whatever design) closer to the middle and help them implode. Just keep rotating while you do it.

Doing the implosion on a tube will give the most detail and keep the design in place the best, however...

Old 2006-06-05, 2:18pm
Serenity Now!

Hiya Chad! Got any tutes on tube implosions, by any chance?

Art, Colour, Bling & Happy happening here:
Old 2006-06-05, 3:21pm
Type ZZZ personality

Thanks Chad. Yes, it was like a fully bloomed flower, with the petals laying flat instead of sticking up.

I'll try your tips next time.

Old 2006-06-06, 5:49am
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowerVal
Hiya Chad! Got any tutes on tube implosions, by any chance?
Not right now. I have a few I'm going to be working on in the near future, but we're still getting settled into the new house, so it's going to be a little while...

Old 2006-06-06, 11:03am
San Diego Toni

Here's a thread with a couple of tut links...
good luck, and show us what you get!

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...ight=implosion

Old 2006-06-06, 7:19pm
borobucaneer

To pull pedals into a more 'up right' position, try pulling out some of the glass in the middle and then adding a disc around the center. Might help....

-Tony Soprano
Old 2006-06-11, 9:33pm
Type ZZZ personality

I don't quite get what you mean baylie...

Old 2006-06-12, 6:45am
Does it come in Purple???

I think he means heat up the center (side opposite the clear rod) and take some tweezers and pull the center out. It causes the flower or design to grow more 3D. Then pluck off the excess glass.

This is coming from a TOTAL newbie to boro and implosions, etc. I still have nothing worthy of posting.

~~

Bloodletting, mayhem and massacre first thing in the morning is the best way to start the day
Old 2006-06-12, 7:12am

the flatter you push the more they implode, but if there is not enough moving clear for color to go to it will flatten out rather than grow tall and curved making petals less dimensional. i frequently heat the top clear maria (feed rod as i go to add more clear) you can also poke in to push glass to the front or super heat center of back and touch with a clean clear rod and pull out, if you do a clean termination you can carefully add clear around it, it will make the flower/dots taller rather than wider. if i do this its usually at the end of the making the piece not as im going. it was originally to get rid of that annoying spot that wanted to make an air bubble. for more petals with dimension between, flatten/reheat a bit a few times before adding another layer of color so there is clear between petal layers, rather than laying all color at once before you start your first squish.
ro