LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2014-12-02, 6:42am

What a great idea. It sort of looks like the start of a flower petal for the shape.
Fun, thanks...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- A work in progress

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by CorriDawn; 2014-12-02 at 11:20am. Reason: removed comment
Old 2014-12-02, 7:28am
dances with ideas...

Vivian, your picks are beautiful! And thanks for the mini-tutorial!!

Old 2014-12-02, 7:30am
dances with ideas...

This is the one I bought for DH. Made by Rosemary Pierro. Not inexpensive, but I was entranced by the pattern.

Old 2014-12-02, 8:59am

I would think glass picks should be out of a softer glass - I would probably try 96 but that's just from witnessing resin picks "flexing" - if you strum too hard and they don't flex - its going to snap -

at any rate, I like the idea of glass picks but I don't know how they hold up, but like guitar strings, its an item that's replaced regularly so durability may not be an issue. Great pics on those that have been made.

Last edited by CorriDawn; 2014-12-02 at 10:53am. Reason: removed issues that were not relevant
Old 2014-12-02, 10:54am
Administrator

Beautiful picks shown so far. Can we now keep the discussion to glass guitar picks?

Old 2014-12-02, 11:16am

I did however just make 3 picks, so there is that!

- A work in progress

Old 2014-12-02, 11:21am
Administrator

tela, fixed. did i miss anything?

Old 2014-12-02, 11:40am
novembersfyre everywhere

Thanks for the instructions, Vivian!

Old 2014-12-02, 12:51pm
http://youtu.be/nGt9jAkWi

I made 3 from 96COE glass & 2 from 104COE glass. Hubby likes them all & they seem to be holding up fine so far. My daughter's taking 3 of them to her college friends that play in a band. I'll let you know how they like them & how well they hold up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevadaglass View Post
I would think glass picks should be out of a softer glass - I would probably try 96 but that's just from witnessing resin picks "flexing" - if you strum too hard and they don't flex - its going to snap -

at any rate, I like the idea of glass picks but I don't know how they hold up, but like guitar strings, its an item that's replaced regularly so durability may not be an issue. Great pics on those that have been made.

Vivian

-

Old 2014-12-02, 12:56pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by neagle View Post
Nice guitar picks. My husband is a guitar player and I tried to make him picks out of glass years ago. Some effetre, some boro. He didn't like them because he likes very thin picks and I couldn't get them thin enough. Make sure you know what kind of pick the guitar player likes.
I think that is my biggest concern. And whether they would snap if used too vigorously, in a young adult head banging loud and dissonant is better sort of way.

My rods of 96 seem way more brittle than 104 too. It seems like I have to handle them more gently or they snap.
Old 2014-12-02, 1:10pm
http://youtu.be/nGt9jAkWi

I dropped 2 of them on the concrete floor after annealing them. They didn't crack, so they must be pretty strong LOL.

Vivian

-

Old 2014-12-02, 7:50pm
Dancing in the Flame

Thanks for everyone's feedback - and the pictures - we've made some but they've been given away before I could take pics.... supply and demand have some in the kiln - will post them tomorrow.