Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2007-07-22, 7:23pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Default Any tips on getting my Bullseye Amber luster to turn gold instead of blah?

I am having trouble getting my Be Amber Luster to turn a bright gold instead of a darker ick color - and a similar problem with the blue luster.

I have tried reducing it by turning up the propane and turning down the oxy. I got a couple of spots of bright gold but overall it is a dirty looking metallic.

Any help appreciated

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2007-07-22, 7:29pm

Bookmarking this. I have the same problem. *sigh*

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2007-07-22, 7:43pm

Bullseye Torch tips has something about how to use these. I think they said to reduce them down near the cones but can't remember for sure.
Paula

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2007-07-22, 7:53pm
It's all about the color.

You'll find the Torch Tips here:
http://www.bullseyeglass.com/educati...ips/index.html

(If the link doesn't work, edit the s out of your browser. It should be "http" not "https" Sometimes LE put in an S just for the heck of it.)

Old 2007-07-22, 8:04pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Thanks but I have read those - I'm just getting inconsistent results and need some help

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2007-07-22, 8:15pm
sunscreen me baby

I found the best way to get it to shimmer gold is to hold it high in a reduction flame.

I create the bead not thinking much about the reduction. Once it is ready for it's shine I let it cool as if I were going to strike the color. Then I turn up the propane and hold the bead up in the top part of my working flame. The place I go to keep a bead base warm while melting a huge gather to encase. I watch for the shimmer to happen. I know I've gone too low if I see the sooty gray. You can just blast the soot spot with oxy and get it to go away if it isn't too far gone.

~

Old 2007-07-22, 8:17pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

so Suzy, do you roll the bead in the cones of the flames, or out beyond them?

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2007-07-22, 8:17pm
sunscreen me baby

One more note.... I don't make it a strong reduction flame. I make sure there is still a good amount of oxy going. Sort of the point where your rubino would go cloudy but not get sooty.

~

Old 2007-07-22, 8:18pm
sunscreen me baby

No, I don't get into the cones at all.

~

Old 2007-07-22, 8:20pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

hmmm... Ok, not in the cones. Sounds like I am trying to reduce it too fast. I've never used rubino, so that reference doesn't mean anything to me - but it might to someone else!

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2007-07-22, 8:27pm
sunscreen me baby

Another way to describe it, using a scale of 1 to 10, my regular reducing flame would be 8 for propane and 2 for oxy. My reducing flame for amber lustre is 7 for propane and 4 for oxy.

I need a chart! Oxy gets a scale and Propane gets a scale.

~

Last edited by SuzyQ; 2007-07-22 at 8:38pm. Reason: to clarify
Old 2007-07-22, 8:28pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

so 11 on a scale of 1 to 10?

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2007-07-22, 8:37pm
sunscreen me baby

lol!! You clearly didn't see my hands describing each got their own scale but I think you got it anyway. Must be that x-ray vision.

~

Old 2007-07-22, 8:38pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

I am going to try again tomorrow night - thanks for the tips!

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2007-07-24, 7:20pm
To Bead Or Not To Bead

I use to have a lot of trouble reducing also, but it's easy now. My method is much different from what was posted though. I never had too much luck stricking high up in the flame. This is what I do. I turn the oxy way down and the gas up ( I have a big yellow flame). At first I keep the bead out of the flame and skim the top of the bead with the yellow flame. After a few seconds I am waving the whole bead into the flame letting the yellow flame hit it all over. I am working maybe 1/4" to 1/2" above the flame. I'm not getting soot either. I work with natural gas and two oxygen concentrators. Also should note that I like to shut off one of the concentrators when I do this, otherwise it will start beeping. I know this isn't good for the concentrator, but I don't do it very often. Good luck to you.

Ebay:
Old 2007-07-24, 7:36pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

thanks for the tip Patsy. I will give that a try!

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2007-07-24, 9:03pm

I don't think I'm terribly consistent in my adjustments for getting a reduction flame. I usually turn the propane up, and get pretty long yellow candles. For me the trick with the amber luster is that it likes just a quick flash through the reducing flame. It's easy to over-reduce, but you can get rid of the ugly stuff by going back to a neutral flame and then trying again.

I haven't played as much with the peacock luster.
Old 2007-07-26, 7:27pm
Formerly Travelin'gal

I have the same problem Squid. I just about decided I am luster challenged.

~
~
~
~
~
Old 2007-07-26, 7:29pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

me too - I tried again last night and still didn;t get what I wanted exactly

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2007-07-26, 7:31pm
Formerly Travelin'gal

I heard once if you anneal lower it helps. I tried it and cracked a marble of Greg's in the process and still no change. He was none to thrilled with me.

~
~
~
~
~