Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2015-02-02, 8:45pm
Sam I Am

Hubby and my son built me a storage closet! My pictures aren't to great of it. It was cold and dark when they were working on it. We still have to add a real door and the storage for back stock of rod. Hubby made the shelves for the frit just deep enough for 3 one lb jars. or 1 5lb jar. there is room left for the bead separator back stock too. It is so nice to have room to run the studio like the business it is. Before I was crammed into one corner and had no storage.
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2015-02-02, 8:55pm
Sam I Am

I added some cubbies for the student to store purses, jackets and whatever they need. Each cubby has a bin with a tag you can turn to let people know your stuffs in there.
Attached Images

Old 2015-02-02, 9:05pm
Sam I Am

I cleaned up the mismatched cabinets and painted them and put a hardy board top on them. I also added one more "rolly cart" for another kiln. The studio is shaping up. There are still several more thing that need to be done like the sink and coldworking area. I want a nicer sink and counter for the coldworking machines One step at a time.
Attached Images

Old 2015-02-02, 9:08pm
Sam I Am

LAST but not least a little project I have been working on.
A bead or a disk for each color of Bullseye glass on the wall.
Attached Images

Old 2015-02-02, 9:45pm

It looks beautiful and fresh! Congratulations

Old 2015-02-02, 11:26pm
bailey, my golden girl

Congratulations!
Great studio!
Old 2015-02-03, 3:58pm

Beautiful space!
Old 2015-02-03, 5:11pm

Looks beautiful Sam, and so much more efficient. I'm sure you will be thrilled to death to be done with it and with the house too. What a concept! Go to work and just work, not build, not move stuff, not paint; just work!
Old 2015-02-04, 11:36am
Sam I Am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESC View Post
Looks beautiful Sam, and so much more efficient. I'm sure you will be thrilled to death to be done with it and with the house too. What a concept! Go to work and just work, not build, not move stuff, not paint; just work!
Amen Sister!

Old 2015-02-04, 1:42pm

I love your BE glass rack! Are those acrylic tubes?

Barbara
Old 2015-02-05, 7:05pm
Sam I Am

Quote:
Originally Posted by 28676bhe View Post
I love your BE glass rack! Are those acrylic tubes?
Thank you
Yes plastic tubes from here I cut them to fit.

Old 2015-02-06, 6:25am

It looks great, Sam! Glad to see you finally have some space to grow. One of these days I'll make it over there to see the changes. My glass room is so turned-upside-down right now I can't even get to my torch.

Sheralyn
Old 2015-04-19, 7:49pm
HotFlash Designs

Love your studio space! and the little touches like the bullseye beads. It's all so pretty!!! I bet you love working in there!!

Be Curious. Not judgmental.
Old 2019-04-19, 2:56pm
Sam I Am

Wow more changes. Filled up that storage closet!
Finally painted the weird purple insulation. Added so much in the past 4 years I thought I'd add some pictures to keep it current.
Attached Images

Old 2019-04-19, 3:04pm
Sam I Am

Why does it take so long to put a bottle openner in? Guess you have to find the right spot.
"Kitchen " is now fully equipt for student lunches
Attached Images

Old 2019-04-19, 3:13pm
Sam I Am

Added more coldworking equipment
Soon the covington trim saw will be here to replace the old one.
Got a lathe to carve glass...well it really belongs to Nicole Lozano but it live here! Can't wait till the new wheels are in
Fusing kiln is up & running

More fun! More classes! More things I can do, teach & finish.
This has turned into a grwat adventure... Dream Fire Glass Studio is still going strong.
Attached Images

Old 2019-04-20, 4:51pm

Gotta find that heart emoji!
Old 2019-04-21, 4:47pm

Thanks for the update, this whole thread was a great read.
Old 2019-04-23, 11:06am

Wow, Sam, you've built an extremely enticing studio! I'd like to walk right in, but it's kind of a long walk from Michigan LOL

Great job!

ETA: I see that this is my 409th post..."She's so fine, my 409"
Old 2019-04-27, 9:08am
Sam I Am

Thanks everyone. It has been a labor of love and a grand adventure ...that continues.

Old 2019-05-15, 1:12pm

What an amazing studio!
Old 2022-03-28, 7:47pm
Sam I Am

It's time to update again!
After 10 years in this space it's time to move.
So much fun & learning happened here.

A new journey is beginning for Dream Fire Glass Studio. Stay tuned for the new studio build.

Old 2022-05-10, 2:41pm
Sam I Am

We break ground on Thursday May 12th. City has approved our plans. Basically a small house. Two rooms kitchen,living / torchroom, bedroom/non glass melting workroom, a bathroom & small store room. Each room has a "now" use and a "future" use.
The future is mother-in-law house or Air B&B, which would be the next owners use. With it set up to have all the things you would need like plumbing for a W/D, large door opening for handicap use. The now is a torch table with air intake from below to keep from loosing heated & cooled air. A hood with the fans & motor far away from the table so no loud hood. So nice to be able to design it from scratch & not have to make do with an existing space.
Ok I could right a book but for now that's enough.
Here is the sight before we break ground.
Attached Images

Old 2022-05-10, 4:14pm

Wonderful! So, are you going to be able to salvage some of your infrastructure to use in the new space? I.e. hood, fan, duct work, torch table, etc.
Old 2022-05-12, 7:12pm
Sam I Am

Ground was broken today.
The next step is getting the intake air positioned correctly before the concrete is poured.
I have always wanted my intake air to come up from underneath the table but that is only possible for a freestanding hood if you are on pier & beam or you put in the pvc tube when the foundation is poured. Having the make up air come in this way mean you are not pulling your conditioned air & sending it out even minute. This creates a curtain of air enhancing the removal of fumes & particulates.
Being able to design my ventilation is wonderful. Quite & efficient. Detail to follow on that.
Attached Images

Old 2022-05-12, 7:27pm
Sam I Am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESC View Post
Wonderful! So, are you going to be able to salvage some of your infrastructure to use in the new space? I.e. hood, fan, duct work, torch table, etc.
Yes some things. But the hood will be new. I'm going to have a smaller table, only 4 stations, down sizing classes. I'm meeting with the HVAC person Tuesday to go over tge ventilation. He fabricates them so probably all new. We definitely can use parts of the table. We'll cut it down. My manifolds will still be good to use..

Old 2022-05-18, 3:57pm
Sam I Am

Let's talk about ventilation. Even now, years after we were all wandering around in the darkness of ignorance, the exact easy answer to ventilation does not exist.

Michael Aurelius's Primer https://mikeaurelius.wordpress.com/ventilation-primer/
Is great. Your head might explode doing the math...it sure gave me a headache. There are also some variables that are not covered. Mike was very nice helping me fill in the answers to my questions. Thank you sir!

For individual torches this tutorial by Andrea Guarino is excellent, http://www.andreaguarino.com/read-me

One of the reasons there is no standard answer is there is no standard set up. Each of us has a different studio set up so a different need.

There is also a lot of "ventilation shaming" out there. This makes people hesitant to share for fear of being called out as having bad ventilation.

I'm going to share what I'm doing. After a unpleasant 1st meeting with the guy who is going to build mine we have got a plan. Why was it unpleasant? He builds restaurant hoods, he was not aware that our needs as flameworker are different. We are not only dealing with heat & fumes but possible small particulates (enamels). Our torches are susceptible to air movement. Hamburgers aren't .Also a little " ego deafness" on his side he know his way of doing things and a little " female who knows her shit trying to explain to a male who's not listening..
Anyone who knows me know I'm not going to backdown if I can find another way to explain my point.
Good news is we got there using both of our expertise.
See the next few posts for what we decided

Old 2022-05-18, 4:40pm
Loving learning

Good outcome it sounds like, sorry the path was a bit rocky before you got on good footing.
Old 2022-05-18, 4:52pm
Sam I Am

My new studio will have a 5x5 ft table in the center of the back half of the room. The actual hood will be 4-6 inches smaller because the way my torches are attached to the table the tip if the torch is 6 inches deeper on the table.
My " working numbers" are 4.5ft by 4.5 ft = 20.25 sq ft. Multiple that by 125 and you get 2531.25 CFM. That a lot of air moving. I've got about a 16ft from the center of the hood to the back wall where the exhaust will go. Looks like 1 bend. Using round 10 inch galvanized tubing for the exhaust.
The intake will be 2 fold. 1st my dream intake air coming up through the middle of the table 12 inch pvc in the foundation. This take advantage if some geothermal temperature control . Deep in the foundation the temps don't get as hot or cold. The outside air will have to travel through the tube. It will be sucked in the table top & out through the hood. This means less conditioned air being suck out if the room. Notice I said LESS ,there will still he some loss of conditioned air when your exhausting so much. I am going to also go with the HVAC guys suggestion and have a secondary intake that will use a fan to pull in air just above the hood level. There are some crazy new codes about intake air & I want to pass any code inspections. It's not adding significant cost & I don't have to use it all the time. His numbers came out to 1900CFM. That acceptable because my current hood has a 3000cfm fan for a 2x larger hood & it works very well. We ran lots of tests on the old hood with torches running.

If your following along on the math my fan is smaller than Mike's tutorial. Once you reach 2000 & above CFM your clearing a room every minute or so. I'm sure someone will chime in that it's not enough or too much.
Don't care I actually know what I'm doing by experience.
I'm offering an example of what works for me.
It's also a working plan not installed yet.

Also pre-planning to O2 lines & propane. They will be in Pvc sleeves in the foundation. Plan is to use a braided metal flexable line pulled through the sleeves. The braided metal hoses are like a whip line. I've used short ones for years.. again plans can change we may go copper inside Pvc for the O2. Yes tanked O2...what can I say I'm spoiled. Propane will of course be outside.

So far it's all a plan. The foundation fill is mostly done the plumber is next ,then inspection before its poured.

Old 2022-05-21, 4:42pm
Sam I Am

Boring but progress. And the answer is the sink drain will be run over to the toilet drain later.
The Washer connection is only going to be a big utility sink while this house lives its life as a studio. We are just making sure things are plumbed & have appropriate electrical for a little "mother in law", or Air B& B house when it's no longer a studio. Making sure for the $$$ we're spending we have an investment.
The shower is going to be the coldworking area . It will have a working shower but......if there's glass being coldworked in there I'll pass.

That it for now. We are waiting on the plumbing inspection. Then the intake pipe, propane & O2 sleeves.
Attached Images