The Flow

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2014-07-05, 8:20pm
Molten Glass Addict

Default Help with sky blue turning black

Hi everyone.

I have some Effetre Sky Blue that turns black on my beads. Does anyone have tips to keep it from doing that, or is there a way to get rid of it without etching the bead after it's cooled?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
< me in my younger days

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
< me now days

< me after a pomegranate rum slushie

Old 2014-07-05, 8:35pm
Slogan Challenged...

I'm guessing you are talking about that gray-black reduction film that looks like grime after the bead has cooled?

That's nasty to get rid of without etching, best bet when you are making beads is to avoid a reduction flame with the (dark) sky blue, and to "clean up" the bead by using an oxidising flame to wash over the bead thoroughly at the end to help minimize that. When I remember to do that, my sky blue turns out fine. Otherwise, I get that film around the holes.

Sometimes a steel brush in a dremel helps, I have not found toilet bowl cleaner or CLR that effective.

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2014-07-05, 8:41pm

Light Sky Blue doesn't interact with anything to turn black that I know of, like greens do with turquoise. Do you mean it gets sooty? Try working further out in the flame, and clean it really good with alcohol first.

Mine lately has been getting lots of red reduction, but my flame chemistry has been acting up too. Maybe try adding more oxygen to your mix.

I've always had trouble with lots of reduction with my dark sky blue. That could be because I've never bought another batch since the first one in 2005, and it may have been an off batch.

Other than that, I've got nothing. Sorry.
Old 2014-07-06, 5:37am
Molten Glass Addict

Thanks for the replies. I attached a pic, I wasn't sure what it was doing since it is pretty dark. And not attractive at all.

< me in my younger days

< me now days

Old 2014-07-06, 6:15am
Loving learning

Looks like reduction to me.
Try soaking it in Coke. I usually just do it overnight, although maybe it doesn't take that long, I've never looked.
Old 2014-07-06, 6:20am
Molten Glass Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
Looks like reduction to me.
Try soaking it in Coke. I usually just do it overnight, although maybe it doesn't take that long, I've never looked.
I tried that the other day, but got impatient after a few hours and assumed it wasn't working. Then I dropped the bead in the coffee cup and broke some of the stringer work off (different bead) ugh.

I think I'll see if I can do a short etch and see if that helps at all. I'd like to be able to keep this color shiny, so I think I need to experiment with my flame. I thought I was neutral, but maybe not!

< me in my younger days

< me now days

Old 2014-07-06, 6:21am
Loving learning

I've only ever used full out Coca Cola too, never tried a different type cola.
Old 2014-07-06, 6:24am
Molten Glass Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
I've only ever used full out Coca Cola too, never tried a different type cola.
Thanks Eileen, that is very helpful. I guess I just wasn't patient enough. and someone else brought the cola in a McD's cup, so it was most likely watered down with melted ice. I will give it another shot and see if it works. I'll leave it all night this time.

< me in my younger days

< me now days

Old 2014-07-06, 6:28am
Loving learning

I'm reminded of the time my DH came out in the morning & saw a cup with an inch or so of Coke in it by the sink. He dumped it out & put the cup in the dishwasher, then when I went looking for my bead it was in the drain basket thing thank goodness. He never noticed
Old 2014-07-06, 6:37am
Molten Glass Addict

Glad you noticed your bead!!!

I made a minion and for the first time EVER the stringer was perfectly straight across the back. This poor bead was doomed from the start. First the glass turns black. then the back of his head chips at the hole when I was cleaning it with my dremel. then I drop it in the coffee cup and brake the stringer/headband. ugh!! he's still cute though. lol

< me in my younger days

< me now days

Old 2014-07-06, 6:38am
Loving learning

He's adorable!
Old 2014-07-06, 6:38am
Slogan Challenged...

Oh, nice save Eileen. The coke has never worked for me, but I have diet usually. Hope that works out for you.

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2014-07-06, 6:41am
Molten Glass Addict

my grand daughter was jumping up and down when she saw him, but with the broken head she didn't get to hold it long. I'll be making more as they're minion crazy!

< me in my younger days

< me now days

Old 2014-07-06, 6:47am

The Works toilet bowl cleaner works for me, it doesn't need to soak long. I get it in the dollar store. Coke never did a darn thing when I tried it.
That kind of reduction seems a little odd for Lt. Sky Blue. You sure it's not Light Turquoise? They're so similar.

PS- If you try The Works, wear plastic gloves, it's a bit caustic.

Last edited by Three Muses Glass; 2014-07-06 at 6:52am.
Old 2014-07-06, 6:50am
Molten Glass Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Muses Glass View Post
The Works toilet bowl cleaner works for me, it doesn't need to soak long. I get it in the dollar store. Coke never did a darn thing when I tried it.
That kind of reduction seems a little odd for Lt. Sky Blue. You sure it's not Light Turquoise? They're so similar.
It could very well be turquoise blue. I didn't have it labeled, so I looked at my last order to see what it was. I really need to start labeling EVERY rod

I really miss the ASK turquoise blue. That was a beautiful color.

< me in my younger days

< me now days

Old 2014-07-06, 7:16am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Muses Glass View Post

PS- If you try The Works, wear plastic gloves, it's a bit caustic.
It actually looks like dark turquoise to me. That is what I get when I work dk turq too long.
Old 2014-07-06, 7:18am
Loving learning

I'll have to try to find "The Works" brand, the stuff I had here didn't do anything.
Old 2014-07-06, 7:49am
Glass-aholic

Dark sky blue does that all the time. I can actually "etch" it off in a min or 2 and not etch the bead in the process. My white is still shiny when it's off. It just takes a min. You alternatively might try A but of comet scrub or the cheapest bluest toilet bowl cleaner u can find. Other than that work it cooler like rubino that's the option, just watch for it to reduce other colors...

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2014-07-06, 10:21am
rainbowchasingtimewaster

Sometimes I get that happen in the kiln, regardless of what it looked like going in. To get rid of it without etching, I use Whink. I put it on a paper towel and rub until the schmutz is gone, then rinse. Use rubber gloves, who knows what's in that stuff.

Lori Peterson - Try telling a Dachshund no and you will understand the true meaning of futility.

*f

Old 2014-07-06, 12:46pm
Molten Glass Addict

I double checked and believe this was a sky blue rod as I don't see that I've ever purchased the turquoise. I'll definitely try the etching for just a minute or two. Thanks everyone!

< me in my younger days

< me now days

Old 2014-07-06, 6:42pm
Phill

Whink is some seriously caustic stuff. I tried removing some small rust stains in a sink and would up getting a new sink because it took the shine right off. Hydrochloric acid I think.

I just watched a video the other day and the guy said he uses BullsEye Bright White (coe 90) to test his flame characteristics with.
Seems this particular glass is extremely sensitive to reduction gases.
I am going to get some just to use to set up my torch balance although every thing (besides fuming rods and marble punties ) is 104 in my studio.
Old 2014-07-06, 11:00pm
Dynamic Duo

Definitely looks like effetre blue, which can be called dark turquoise or sky blue - depends on where you buy it.

Kugler is making Bahia Blue in 104 - which is equivalent to the ASK color.

The kugler does not react as much with other colors, such as the ivory, or shades of green and teal, so not good if you are looking of such effects.

The effetre will turn black if worked in reduction or too close to the touch head. so vey sensitive to dirty fuel (Propylene and the other new Mapp substitutes) - Since moving from hot head a few years back, now using propane and concentrator, have not had this black forming on the blue.

Old 2014-07-07, 12:32am
one day at a time

Two parts Sno Bol toilet bowl cleaner to one part water, soak for about 15 minutes. Move it around a little every now and then so there are no untreated areas. It will take that scum right off. Don't worry that this will etch the bead, it won't. Unless you leave it in there for a couple of hours or more.

If you can't get Sno Bol, try Lysol toilet bowl cleaner. I store my solution in a glass coffee jar with a plastic lid and it keeps for a long time and remains effective. Never tried The Works, but it will probably work just as well.

Last edited by Lisi; 2014-07-07 at 12:36am.
Old 2014-07-07, 2:46am
Phill

I know of a friend who uses her clothes dryer top to set her acid etching tubs on when she has a load of clothes.
The vibration is just enough and long enough to do exactly what she wants with out having to stand there and stir it herself.
Old 2014-07-07, 12:40pm

The works, well, works. Dollar store, pour some in a cup drop in the bead today and tomorrow drain the stuff back in the bottle for future use.
Attached Images

-> I'm Chuck, I like Glass Dots
mini cc - natural gas - oxycon - 104 coe
Old 2014-07-07, 4:41pm
Molten Glass Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dott View Post
The works, well, works. Dollar store, pour some in a cup drop in the bead today and tomorrow drain the stuff back in the bottle for future use.
thanks for the visual, now that I see it I remember that stuff. I'll have to put it on my shopping list.

< me in my younger days

< me now days

Old 2014-07-11, 10:42am

Hydrochloric acid soak (10%) for a few minutes will usually clear the zinc off of the surface. The Works is HCl.

Whink Rust and Stain remover contains HydroFluoric acid - the same stuff that's used to etch glass. It's not to be used with bare hands or in non-ventilated areas. Pretty toxic stuff.

These are both corrosive materials (acids). Caustic materials are alkaline, not acidic.

Robert