LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials > Free Tutorials

Old 2010-04-06, 1:48pm
Micromosaic and Lampwork

Default Ring Cigar Box Display - Free Tutorial

While working on my booth I have been coming up with some fun display ideas. For displaying my rings, I did a quick google search and found a cute cigar box display. I thought this would work well with the supplies I have.

While I have finished rings of various sizes and designs on the left, I have added some side compartments. One is for the lampwork glass cabs with a hole on the bottom, and the other is for silver rings ready to glue. The custom rings can be glued with 5 minute epoxy. An alternative use for the cubby holes can be used for matching beads, or more finished rings, or opt to not add the compartments.

Here is how I made the box......

INGREDIENTS:
cigar box, fabric, padding, spray glue, hot glue & gun, pen, scissors, wood, saw, rings.

1. Select your box and if you want divided trays, cut to fit and file the edges.

I bought the wood at the local Home Depot.
I found a variety of beautiful cigar boxes at a local cigar shop for only $1 each.

2. You can see that the dividers are temporarily placed to see if they fit.

Select some fabric that would create a nice background for your style of jewelry and rings. I chose a beige faux suede. (The runner up was a shiny crushed velvet.)

3. Measure your cigar box to see how much fabric you will need. Each pleat is about an inch. So if your box is 6 inches deep, double it to 12 and add another 12 inches. Because you have to add a few inches for each pleat.

4. Cut your fabric and padding. I used some recycled padding from a bed spread. Thin foam would work too.

5. Use spray glue to attach the fabric and padding together.

6. Trim the edges so they are straight. This will make it easier to make even pleats.

7. Using a hot glue gun add a thin stripe of glue between each pleat on the padded side. Don't add directly in the crease, this would create a sharp crease, and we want it fluffy from the padding.

8. Add a dot of glue on each end of the fabric side deep into the fold. Try not to get the glue where it will be visible.
It's up to you how many pleats you want in your box. Mine has about 15 pleats.

9. Trim the edges so they are straight and fit between the the wood you just cut to size.

10. Hot glue the fabric, wood, and wood dowels (molding). Simply zig-zag a line of hot glue for the fabric. Add a small bead of hotglue on the bottom of the wood, as well as the molding.
(The molding covers the unfinished look of the pleats.)

11. Using small swatches of fabric, make some little pillows for the boxes on the side.

12. Label and price your rings.

For an extra bonus, use the inside of the lid to your benefit. I have added mirrors, or you can add a nice, big, eye-catching photo of your rings. I have also thought of adding some hooks to the top lip so I can dangle beads, or necklaces, or earrings, or charms, etc.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2010-04-06, 2:45pm

That is awesome!! I dont make rings but this is a great idea. Thanks.

Old 2010-04-06, 6:17pm
Anyone need some spacers?

Great tut!

Old 2010-04-06, 8:56pm

I don't make rings either but I sure could use this to make a holder for the rings I do have. Thanks!
Old 2010-04-06, 9:09pm
Micromosaic and Lampwork

I just got a pm from someone asking where to get the ring blanks. I make them. But I have seen blanks or adjustable rings available from major jewelry suppliers. If anyone has a source they would like to list, please do.

Old 2010-04-06, 10:32pm
MacGalver

I have not tried these, but this is the most reasonably priced simple peg I found online...

http://www.firemountaingems.com/deta...p?PN=H201664FY

Jo

Old 2010-04-06, 10:42pm
Micromosaic and Lampwork

That's a good link, thanks for posting.

Old 2010-04-07, 7:05am
Somewhat out there!

Great idea. Isn't it fun to come up with an idea that works and is creative at the same time?