Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > The Dark Room

The Dark Room -- Photo Editing and Picture Taking. Advice, tutorials, questions on all things photoshop, photo editing, and taking pictures of beads or glass.

Old 2009-07-04, 9:33pm

Default What do you guys think of this Harbor Freight setup?

Was browsing Harbor Freight and came across this photo setup for $30, any opinions??

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=65797

Old 2009-07-05, 2:05am
Made in the Shade

this is very similar to what I use. I love it! Go for it!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2009-07-05, 4:26am
birdergirl ~o~

Looks great!

~raised by wolves~sleeps with foxes~cooks for crows~feeds the bears~scrabbles with squids~antisymmetrical~politically agnostic.

Torchering glass since spring '06~ gold cricket & oxycon!~
Old 2009-07-05, 8:51am
birdergirl ~o~

But back to the photo box , does it break down to flatten out and store?
I like the lights.

~raised by wolves~sleeps with foxes~cooks for crows~feeds the bears~scrabbles with squids~antisymmetrical~politically agnostic.

Old 2009-07-05, 10:20am

I think I'm going to pick it up and give it a try. HF has a pretty good return policy so I shouldn't have any problems if it isn't good. I believe it says in the description that it does fold up into a carrying case. I will post some better pictures of it when I get it.
Old 2009-07-05, 12:08pm
Does my glass look 2 big?

I first purchased a set that came with a 24" cube and it was way too big, but loved the lights. So I purchased a 12" cube separately and it's great. I think a 16" will still be a good size!

Old 2009-07-05, 8:39pm

Got a chance to go buy it today. My initial impressions are overall positive (although I have never owned/seen a more expensive setup). I set it up but didn't get a chance to take any pictures. It all folds up into a carrying case with pockets for the lights and tripod which I thought was really cool. Without taking any pictures yet, I think the lights are a little on the dim/yellow side (they are halogen I believe). I guess I can supplement it with another light and compensate for color with my white balance. Will post some test pictures and pics of the whole setup tomorrow.
Old 2009-07-06, 9:06am
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

I have seen people comment in the past that the lights weren't any good, so I would expect you will need alternative lighting.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2009-07-06, 9:09am

Great Price!! Paula

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2009-07-06, 9:39am

Have you taken any pictures with it yet??? We want to see the pictures please.

Old 2009-07-06, 11:49am
birdergirl ~o~

Ok now back to the photo box again,....
I bought one off Ebay for $14.00, collapsable and is soft sided, works fine and I found that a large pizza box holds it fine for packing away (eat pizza first)

Old 2009-07-06, 12:33pm

Oh, if anyone needs help emptying those boxes, I will sacrifice my time and energy to take care of that for you

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadia View Post
Ok now back to the photo box again,....
I bought one off Ebay for $14.00, collapsable and is soft sided, works fine and I found that a large pizza box holds it fine for packing away (eat pizza first)

Old 2009-07-06, 1:05pm

On a lighter (hummm) note, that lighting set up will set me back less than one sushi dinner; I'm going for it!
Old 2009-07-06, 1:09pm
I fart diamonds

I have this one:

http://shop.ebay.com/merchant/dk_murray

I use $5 clamp lights from Home Depot with daylight bulbs and my photos come out really nice:

Old 2009-07-06, 1:39pm

It looks like a great set up to me. It is not much different than the one I bought at Wal-mart a while back. I can't remember the price it was though.
I would really like to try the 12 inch cube. Mine came with a nice carry case but I would really like something smaller myself.

We dance round in a ring and suppose, but the secret sits in the middle and knows. ~ Robert Frost
Old 2009-07-06, 2:19pm

Ok - back to the subject at hand. That is the photo setup I use and love it. I don't shoot with the lights through the side of the box - I hold the lights in front of the bead, right on top of (or beside) my camera. They give beautiful color. It's sort of like using a flash, but totally different.

Good luck!!

Old 2009-07-06, 3:32pm

Actually - On a closer check the one I have is not EXACTLY like this one, but looks very similar.

Old 2009-07-07, 5:19am
takin the long way 'round

Shawnette-- where do you clamp the lights on the cube you have? Any specific lightbulbs you use? Your pictures look great!
Old 2009-07-07, 6:05am
I fart diamonds

Thanks!

I set the cube up on a tray table and clamp the lights either to the side of the table or onto the top of ratchet clamps (which are clamped to the table), depending on the particular angle of lighting I want. I use 100 watt daylight bulbs. GE Reveal bulbs are good, but there are others out there. Just make sure that they are daylight, not soft white.

This is a ratchet clamp.