LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-06-29, 6:35pm

Default Help........glass on torch head!!!!

Have I totally fried my torch by getting some glass on the head?! Its still on there because its got a very uneven flame now. Any advice??
Thank you in advance!
Old 2011-06-29, 6:39pm

Can you scrape it off?
Old 2011-06-29, 9:01pm
Live and Let Live

Here's another thread where someone had the same issue. You may want to contact your torch manufacturer for advice before following any of the suggestions in this thread, just to be safe.

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=125438

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-07-01, 10:54am

Thanks for the pointer, Lisa. Very informative and first thing I'll do is heat and dip!
Sounds like all is not lost. Thanks again
Claudie
Old 2011-07-01, 11:25am
I like to melt things

This happened to me a few months ago, and I took my torch in to a local studio and the owner helped me get it clear through a combination of heating/dunking in water and using a special wire tool to dislodge the mess.

Then, I brought my torch home and a couple of weeks later it happened again. But of course, I didn't have my own wire tool so I used something else [Don't do this. Ever]. The tip of that something else got stuck in the torch head and I had a temper tantrum and threw the torch out my kitchen window.

So... ultimately I solved my problem by buying a new torch, but I am sure that you will be able to work through yours with less violence and expense. lol

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
-
Old 2011-07-02, 5:25am
Unmedicated since '62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oenone View Post
This happened to me a few months ago, and I took my torch in to a local studio and the owner helped me get it clear through a combination of heating/dunking in water and using a special wire tool to dislodge the mess.

Then, I brought my torch home and a couple of weeks later it happened again. But of course, I didn't have my own wire tool so I used something else [Don't do this. Ever]. The tip of that something else got stuck in the torch head and I had a temper tantrum and threw the torch out my kitchen window.

So... ultimately I solved my problem by buying a new torch, but I am sure that you will be able to work through yours with less violence and expense. lol
Melanie! I can't believe you did that

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2011-07-02, 6:58am
just another glass addict

I believe I was told that a good wire to use is a steel guitar string. Probably the high e not a wound one.
That is hysterical Melanie! I certainly know how you feel!! We have a deck we like to throw things off of to get them down to the driveway. It is incredibly satisfying!! We just redid our kitchen and everyone got to throw something. It was great!

"Confidence, like art, never comes from having all the answers; it comes from being open to all the questions."
-Earl Gray Stevens-

Old 2011-07-02, 9:15am
Curmudgeon Engineering

If you can get wound guitar strings small enough then a 'wound' one would be better as it has 'ridges' that will scrape the gunk off the sides of the tubes. I know nothing about guitars or their strings except that the strings make good cutters for a genauch (sp) cutter.
PJH

PS - most torch mfg supply a wire with the torch. If you don't have one contact them for another one. Should be free.
Old 2011-07-02, 1:13pm
I like to melt things

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectDeb View Post
Melanie! I can't believe you did that
I know, I couldn't believe it either! It's funny in retrospect though.

-
-