Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2009-02-26, 5:04pm

Default Resin Sheds?

Has anyone used a resin or polyproplene shed? These aren't the single walled Rubbermaids. The Royal and Lifetime brands are fairly substandal with double walls and a 10 year guarantee. Weather is not much of an issue, I live in Orange County, California. If it's hot, I work at night, and if it's cold... Well it's never very cold here. So I don't worry much about that.
But this would be a place out of the wind we get in the canyon where we live, and that is a big concern of mine.

Cynthia
Old 2009-02-26, 9:33pm
Don't dis The Cheese

I have this one. It's the Royal Esquire Model and it starts as 10x10 and I got the 3 1/2 foot extension. It was easy to put together and it's very durable.

It takes a lot more "faith" to believe that man did all of this all by himself than it does to believe that he had help.

It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for something you are not. ~Andre Gide
Old 2009-02-27, 7:27am
Gentleman of Leisure

My only concern would be the "flammability" rating....

Other then that there is probably no reason why it would no make a good studio...

Dale

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2009-02-28, 5:11pm
Virginia.

I have one of those, but I use is for my garden stuff. They are really cool and down the center of the top, at least on mine is clear, and then the windows on either side. I don't think they are really flamable Dale, I remember something about that. and I am sure you could get a ventilation system set up out one window and then piping your gas in could be done as you put it together - The floor is a really thick rubbery material on mine - I love it, makes up for not having a garage -

If you have a chance, choose to dance!! If you are sick - stay home - you too can personally start a Pandemic!!! - Virginia

Old 2009-02-28, 5:21pm
Critter Mom

I have two very similar to the photo. I love them except that we put ours on a pressure treated wood floor that's on top of little concrete piers that sit on top of the ground. The gophers are awful here in Oregon and they've managed to dig under the cement piers which has caused some of them to shift. This has allowed rain to enter the sheds because now there is a slight gap between the walls and floor (popped the two pieces apart in areas). We're going to move ours and pour slabs and that should fix the problem...we're hoping.

Old 2009-03-02, 1:38pm
I fart diamonds

I paid $250 for a 10x14 Arrow shed from Sears (metal), then paid a guy on Craigslist $100 to put it together (I'm too lazy).

Old 2009-03-02, 3:39pm

Smile Resin Shed

Thanks for your thoughts. About the flammability, I'd be more worried about meltability!

We didn't go with a wood shed, because of a particular So. Cal thing. We get termites, and they will eat through any wood product. That and for the size I would want in a wood shed, it would not fit where I wanted it to go. Okay, I would have really liked a Tuff Shed, it just wasn't going to work in our suburban back yard.

I really liked the Royal Sheds. Unfortunately, my dear sweetie likes instant gradification and didn't want to wait the 4 to 6 weeks it takes for delivery. Oh, he also paid for it, yeah I'm one luckly beadmaker. The only local place that sells them, does not stock them. So, we went with the Lifetime shed, which I think will be okay. It's slightly smaller than the Royal, 8x10 vs. 8x7.5, but I can enlarge it later if I want to. This has got to be one of the nice things about the resin sheds. If you outgrow it, you can add to. And now that we put one together, it isn't that hard to do. I was surprised that the "window" is okay, while not a real window it's not that bad.

Hmmm... Maybe I'll email the manufacturer and see at what tempurature the material melts and burns at. I'll post that info when I get it.

Cynthia
Old 2009-07-24, 12:29pm

Hi Cynthia,
Did you ever get this info? I'm looking at those kind of sheds too...the termites are just as bad up here near Sacramento!!
Old 2009-07-24, 12:45pm

So long as you've got something like cement board or tile or some other non-flamable surface behind your torch and on your work surface - which you'd want to do regardless of what kind of building you're working in - I don't see why a resin shed wouldn't be fine and dandy. You'd also want a good-sized section of flame-retardant flooring under you as you work in case your project suddenly becomes a 'floor model'.

Linda
Old 2009-07-24, 8:10pm

Thanks, Linda! Perfect. I was planning on building a baffle of cement board, also for ventilation, and then tile would be cool on the floor. It's still in the 'dreams and plans' and won't be this year, but very likely in the next year or two...I'll keep checking craigslist!!
Old 2009-07-25, 3:56am
picking Job's Tears

Depending on where you are, any sort of plastic depolymerizes sooner or later. Much as we have problems with things rusting here too, I want a metal shed.
-
-
-

Palms Etc. tropical seeds and cuttings:

HotHead on bulk propane and a Glasshive kiln
Old 2011-05-10, 8:22am
Salt Box Beads

I revived this thread to show the shed I just bought. By the time it depolymerizes I will have saved enough up for my wood shed and it will then become my potting shed..

I think more and more lampworkers will be opting for these especially when they are this cute. Well, I think its cute.
Attached Images

Old 2011-05-10, 9:25am
MacGalver

That does look cute, Lorraine ~ was it reasonably priced?

Jo

Old 2011-05-10, 10:57am
Salt Box Beads

Yes, it was $898.00 Home depot has a credit card special right now where you can purchase anything over a certain dollar amount ($250.00 I think) and take 6 months to pay it off interest free. So about 200.00 a month with tax and shipping. Some of the ugly barn style metal garden sheds are running 750.00 so this is really nice for the money.

The tuff shed I want is going to be about four grand!! Can't do that right now.

There are not many of these Alpine models left. The new ones are in beige and not green, I think. It didn't look like there was color choice on the Suncast website but I didn't look for that.
http://www.suncast.com/productdispla...?id=587&pid=87

Here is the link to Home Depot:

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...cStoreNum=1092

Last edited by Lorraine Chandler; 2011-05-10 at 11:04am.