Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-11-19, 9:13am
Keep on keepin' on...

Default Intense black going purple?

I am working on a tutorial I got and the tut calls for intense black on the demo bead. I have a couple rods hanging around that I've never used until yesterday. I personally got all three rods out of the intense black bin myself. Yesterday as I was using it I noticed that the edges of the black go purple. Is this normal or did I get black that was incorrectly labeled intense black. I thought intense black didn't change color at all, thats why the name and the price. Maybe I'm wrong about that?

The tut is the petal bead tut if that helps. The edges of the petals are purple, not black.

Thanks so much!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2012-11-19, 9:40am
Now part of the Dark Side

As far as I know Intense Black is a true black. Even when it spider webs it's still black, not purple. Sounds like someone put regular black in the wrong bin.
Old 2012-11-19, 9:46am
Keep on keepin' on...

Thanks for the info. Thats what I thought, that it should stay black, just wanted to hear it from someone else. I was afraid maybe the bin is mismarked. I'm not sure what I should do about it now. I would have assumed that anyone that has bought it from the supplier would have gotten what I got and notified the supplier. I've pulled my receipt and I've had it a little over a month. Wonder if others have ordered it and have the same issue.

Old 2012-11-19, 9:47am
Redheaded Thread Killer

I have never had intense black show any purple, and I have cooked the snot out of it before to get some heavy webbing effects. Sounds like you were sent the wrong item (regular black stringer?) or something got mixed up somewhere.

Currently... torch is cold. Not sure when I'll be making glass again. Hothead and Lynx user.
Nothing on
Old 2012-11-19, 9:51am
Keep on keepin' on...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistyCherie View Post
I have never had intense black show any purple, and I have cooked the snot out of it before to get some heavy webbing effects. Sounds like you were sent the wrong item (regular black stringer?) or something got mixed up somewhere.
I think something got mixed up. Either on my end or theirs. Guess I will have to go get some more and try again. I wish I would have discovered this earlier. I bought it on 10/8 and am just now using it. I doubt I can get a replacement now after all this time. Live and learn.

Old 2012-11-20, 6:38am
Peerless Thread Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageCreekStudio View Post
I think something got mixed up. Either on my end or theirs. Guess I will have to go get some more and try again. I wish I would have discovered this earlier. I bought it on 10/8 and am just now using it. I doubt I can get a replacement now after all this time. Live and learn.
Yeah, that happened to me, too. I had a bundle of stringers I bought from Frantz that were supposed to be intense black, and turned out (since I don't use it up very fast) years later to find out they were regular. Kind of pissed me off since it's waaaaaay more expensive than regular black, and stringers are even MORE expensive. Now I check every rod when I get it. I also check metallic black, for the same reason. A pain in the butt.....

Old 2012-11-21, 12:08pm
SCIENCE Teacher!

How to find out if it is regular or intense black:

Make an ivory bead: heat the snot out of a dot. If it breaks apart it is intense black. If it doesn't, then it is regular.

There is no "true" black. Effetre Intense black is black with black enamel in it, which is why it breaks apart for fun webbing effects. There are blue based blacks, purple, green and brown based blacks in various COEs, but black just means it has a lot of colorant in it. If you pull it super thin then you may still get it looking like another color. Play around and decide which one you like best.
Old 2012-11-22, 2:33am

Pull a point on your black rods or stringers and look at them against a light. If they show purple they are regular black.

Sea Rocks Tutorial
- Ebook
- Follow me on
- My
shop