Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-11-28, 6:24pm

Default COE 104 Questions

I'm pretty new and have a couple of basic questions.

1. If I buy COE 104 glass from different sources, is it OK to mix the glass?

2. After I make the bead, how much time should I spend cooling down the bead (in cooler parts of the flame) before putting it into the kiln? I think I may be spending too much time on that part. After the bead stops glowing is it safe to go ahead and put it right into the hot kiln at that point?

Thanks!
Old 2012-11-28, 7:26pm
honorary bead lady

1. Yes, for the most part, some even though it is the same coe is incompatible

2. None, yes to the second
Old 2012-11-28, 7:30pm
SCIENCE Teacher!

COE means "coefficient of expansion" and is a scientific term. Rule of thumb is plus or minus 2 numbers and it's OK to mix.
Old 2012-11-28, 7:59pm
Lampworkaholic!

I don't mix Lauscha or Czech glass with Effetre except in tiny amounts, such as stringer decoration. I mix Messy and Effetre with caution and also generally in small amounts. Some colors like the moonstones are fussier than others about mixing. I rarely encase Messy color except tiny amounts because I don't like their clear.

Uroboros 104 clear seems to get along well with everything.

Put your bead in the kiln as soon as the glass stops moving. Glowing is good, you just want to be sure it is firm enough not to sag.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2012-11-29, 12:00pm

1) Although in theory all 104 glasses should be compatible, in practice it is not always the case. Glasses with the same COE but very different viscosities can lead to compatibility problems. And even in the same brand, not all colors are always exactly 104 and some color combinations can get you into trouble. With Effetre for example, opaque yellows do not mix well with transparent cobalt blue.

2) The way I teach my students is to stabilize the bead outside the flame for about 20 seconds (less if it wasn't really hot at heart) then pop it back into the back of the flame until you see a very slight red glow that disappears as soon as you take the bead out of the flame. This way you know the bead is hard and the heat isn't deep but it isn't too cold and hasn't been shocked.

Sea Rocks Tutorial
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Ebook
- Follow me on
- My
shop

Tags
coe 104, cooling beads, mixing glass