Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2005-07-14, 1:16pm

Default hearts and holder?

I'm trying my best with out boro to make some off mandrel hearts. So far they are ok. Just need to know what to use to hold them when getting them off of the rod. Marbel holder, tweezers or other type of holder? That is my million dollar question.
Old 2005-07-15, 10:35am

I use another rod for a punty. Use a cold seal and then you can crack it off and flame polish the piece where the connection was.
I hope that's clear enough.
Old 2005-07-15, 10:46am
Professional Bead Pimp

When you are putting the loop on, the "tip" of the heart is still attached to the base rod.

After putting on the loop, I grab them with a hemostat that I picked up someplace that has what looks like normal jaws, until you open them. At the jaw tip, these hemo's have a "tooth" on one jaw, that slips into a slot on the other jaw, when closed. This INSURES that the loop cannot slip out of your grip when you melt off the rod at the tip, as the tooth protrudes into the loop hole.

Also, make sure you heat the hemo tips before grabbing the loop or you risk cracking the loop from the cold steel.

Edit: I looked around and they MAY be called "halsted-mosquito" hemos. Maybe a nurse/doctor type person will read this and confirm ??

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Another Analog Brain in the New Digital World" - me
"The fact that nobody understands you doesn't make you an artist" - PopCap Zuma game, Level 12-7

Last edited by BillBrach; 2005-07-15 at 10:57am.
Old 2005-07-15, 11:18am
Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose Leslie
I'm trying my best with out boro to make some off mandrel hearts. So far they are ok. Just need to know what to use to hold them when getting them off of the rod. Marbel holder, tweezers or other type of holder? That is my million dollar question.
Experiment and find what works for You!
There are many ways to do this simple thing and none of them are right or wrong. Someone elses advice might be far more difficult than what You can come up with.

Old 2005-07-16, 8:36pm

Yes, I was thinking about that the other day. I'm forgetting my Boro class with the punty on one side. Duh!!!!!!!!!11 I will also try the hemostate. I do have them. So that will work. I pick those up at the dog shows. They are really inexpensive. Thanks for the information.