Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2006-11-21, 12:09am

Default what glass reduces silver?

I have been wanting to find something that does and dont even know where to begin.
Thanks!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2006-11-21, 6:53am

Give us a little more info on exactly what you are going for. Examples?

JanMD
Old 2006-11-21, 10:07am
Missing presumed fed

I'm not really sure what you're asking either. Silver will react to some extent with any color of soft glass except very pale aqua. Mostly it turns the glass yellowish.
Old 2006-11-21, 10:59am

I mean like Iris gold reduces gold. I am looking for the same effect but in silver. Thanks!

Old 2006-11-21, 11:00am

You mean like reduction frit?

Here's an old thread on it. http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...reduction+frit
Old 2006-11-21, 11:00am
Floral Obsessed

If you're looking for a glass where the silver will easily stay on the surface and remain shiny, instead of sinking in... I'd say go for black or better yet, transparent cobalt. Or mosaic green. Any very dark blue, green or purple transparent, but I think cobalt is the best. Shape with a neutral flame, add burnished silver leaf, melt it in, then finish it off with a quick reduction flash and you'll be in shine city. -H.

Edit - oh, that's not what you were looking for. Nevermind!

Nov. 2003-Nov 2005 --> QuietTorch, 1lb MAPP ::
:: Nov. 2005-May 2007 --> Piranha, NG, 1 Solaris oxycon ::
:: May 2007-Present --> Piranha, NG, 2 Solaris oxycons
Old 2006-11-21, 11:07am
Embracing My Wonkiness

I think the Kuglar Iris Gold looks silver as a surface decoration when you hit it with a reduction flame. It looks gold for you, Brandie? What the heck am I doing wrong?

Lil
Old 2006-11-21, 11:07am
Missing presumed fed

Oh. I understand now -- I just don't have a "for sure" answer. Brandie wants to know which reduction glass/reduction frit will reliably go silver, just plain silver, when you reduce it, not gold or blue or green or whatever. I can tell you not to use Kugler 215 Tobacco Brown, because that goes gunmetal blue (sometimes silver, and dull gold if you overreduce it, but blue if you hit it just right).

I'd stay away from any of the Iris colors, because I think "iris" means that they're supposed to get a variety of colors.

What about the plain old silver blue, silver green, aqua blue silver? I've been so haphazard about my reducing methods that I can't say for sure how they come out on a regular basis, and haven't really played with them since I've gotten my Lynx, which is so much more precise.

Last edited by Emily; 2006-11-21 at 11:10am.
Old 2006-11-21, 11:12am

Here is a set that Gelly has up (which is absolutely gorgeous!!)
http://cgi.ebay.com/SRA-Gelly-Lampwo...QQcmdZViewItem

That is what I am looking for

Old 2006-11-21, 11:25am
Missing presumed fed

Could be anything. More often than not, reduction glass comes out silver for me (unless it comes out dull gold or mud, and I know I've overreduced it). Generally what you're going to get is going to be silvery. I've never gotten the terrific gold that people get with Iris Gold -- even that comes out silvery for me sometimes.

If you need something that's always going to be silver, though, and not give you tones of another color, that's what I'm not sure about.

Definitely ask Gelly what she used. I'm sure she'll be glad to tell you.
Old 2006-11-21, 11:26am
On A Lampwork Hiatus

Gelly said how she did it in her post in the auction section.. They are beautiful beads.. Here is the link.

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=39394
Old 2006-11-21, 11:45am

R-100 Lead Crystal reduced pretty silverish.

The two beads on the left are R-100 on moretti white, the two on the left are on moretti black.
Old 2006-11-21, 12:01pm
In search of her path....

Also Kugler I think has a clear that silver reduces I think its Kuglar or maybe gaffer?

Prints for sale in my
!
Old 2006-11-21, 12:01pm

Thanks!!!

Old 2006-11-21, 12:30pm

I like Reichenbach silver blue, or Val Cox's mercury.

Old 2006-11-21, 6:57pm
Missing presumed fed

If you go to Olympic Color Rods' website, it says which colors reduce, and if you click on the color, it has a tiny thumbnail that's supposed to show the reduced color. The color sample is a glass ball, and if it's a reducing color, the loop is reduced, but it's not all that easy to see. It doesn't show Reichenbach Crystal as a reducing color. It does show a Zimmerman Silver Crystal as a reducing color, but says it reduces to gold.

For a good silver, it looks like Iris Light Blue might be a good bet -- which means I have to take back something I said earlier. (Oh, well -- won't be the the first time. Good thing my words are easier to eat than my cooking, not that that's a difficult standard.)

http://www.glasscolor.com/colors/rei...nsparents.aspx
Old 2006-11-21, 7:12pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily View Post
It doesn't show Reichenbach Crystal as a reducing color.
Yes, it was a surprise to me when it reduced, but it definitely reduces to a silverish color. I'll try the Lt Iris Blue tomorrow.

Last edited by Judi_B; 2006-11-21 at 7:14pm. Reason: correct error
Old 2006-11-21, 7:14pm
Rose colored glasses…√

The silver clear turns silver for me...I think I'm about out of it though. I only bought 4 ounces of frit, spilled the vast majority of it being clumsy, and turned most of the rest of it into stringers. I can peruse my frit jars this weekend and if I have some I can hopefully at least send you enough to pull one stringer to try...

OMG I listed some stuff!!! Little devils ARE ice skating!!!

RIP Sunday; You can donate for Izzy's Future Trust @:

Live kindly...'cause karma will bite you in the ass harder than you ever thought about nibblin'...
Old 2006-11-22, 5:06pm
Smile, it's contagious!

I just found this thread ladies... thanks so much for the compliments!!!! I'm afraid I may have made a mistake listing them at 99 cents, but I'll keep my fingers crossed and hope for the best!

Anyway, I used light iris gold frit for my stringers. I don't know why it reduced to silver instead of gold, but it did. The stringer is mostly melted in, that may make a difference, I'm not sure. I'm also on a HH. Hope this helps!!!

Some people are like a Slinky... not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs.
Old 2006-12-06, 8:50am

Hey meadoweski,
ask at info@kuglercolors.de They will give you a quick answer. Maybe Arrow Springs will have some colors in COE 104 of it. Pink Ladys slippers is one of it I think
glass-diary
Old 2006-12-06, 10:07am
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

What about dark silver plum? That turns a delightful silver color WITHOUT reduction
(just work it like normal). It IS more of a gunmetal silver than shiny
silver, but it looks awesome!

Get your copy of the new Lampwork Etc. Tutorials and Tips Book

Old 2006-12-06, 8:02pm
Butterfly Rancher

Effetre 272 Pastel Violet. I think my oxycon isn't working 100% and I was making some fish for a feng shui fish mobile. Anyway, I used the violet on the fins that I kept flashing to keep warm while I made the rest of the fish and the fin was part violet and part silver when I pulled it from the kiln. Sorry can't photo it -- it was a birthday present for a friend and I didn't think to keep photos.