Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2011-06-14, 11:48pm

Question Smart people.. studio in far away land

Hello all you ingenious, innovative glass aficionados!

I have asked this question before but I am still stumped. I am trying to set up my studio while living overseas. I have a workspace in the states but will be spending most of my time in the middle east and I need something to do and I have the time to work on my glass so I am anxious to get started.

I have a cricket torch. I am in need of an oxycon that will run on the current here which is the same as the UK. I wonder what supplier ( as close to this region as possible) I could find it at and have it shipped here to Bahrain. Or how to find an oxycon right here on the island.

Also trying to find out how to set up a venting system with parts I can put together. So far the only vent fans I have seen about are wimpy little bathroom vent type fans.

I have a stand alone building to use 8 x10 with an ac unit and as you will see by the photo, a window I could vent out of. There is a bathroom around the corner with a small window I could use for makeup air in some fashion but it gets very very hot here so just leaving it open is not the best idea.

I am just aquainting myself with getting around and finding average household items so this adventure is stumping me. Maybe my brain is just missing the obvious because it is on overload to just adjust to a new culture.

Any thoughts, elementary as they might be, will be welcome!!
Charlotte
Old 2011-06-16, 3:53pm
Salt Box Beads

I sure would answer you if I knew the answers. Sowwry. Maybe someone who has lived in the middle east will chime in?
Old 2011-06-16, 3:58pm
Resident hippie

I got an oxycon shipped from the States to Ireland and I got a transformer to shift it to the right voltage. You could probably get an oxycon from Tufnell Glass in England.
I got ventilation from Progrow in England also - we did break through the wall to vent it above the torch and we also broke through the wall to pipe in replacement air at the back of the torch table.
I would probably do needle felting or regular felting instead except that I know I'm addicted to glass - nothing can take its place.
Good luck with your studio.

Have FUN!!!!! It's not about perfection..... Leslie - [not so] Crazy Woman

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-06-19, 5:43am

Default Thanks

Thank you for responding! I really appreciate any help out there.

I have not found anyone who works with glass in the Middle east.

Do you know what or if there is a difference in a medical oxycon and what we use for glass? If so what needs to be done to prepare it.

Thanks for the name of Tufnell and Progrow. I will look into that. I also have a place I used in NL and could call them.

We rent the place so I will only be able to go through the window with venting.
Old 2011-06-19, 8:01am

you could go to a hospital and ask if they know of any decommissioned oxycons that they might be willing to sell or give to you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyofit View Post
Thank you for responding! I really appreciate any help out there.

I have not found anyone who works with glass in the Middle east.

Do you know what or if there is a difference in a medical oxycon and what we use for glass? If so what needs to be done to prepare it.

Thanks for the name of Tufnell and Progrow. I will look into that. I also have a place I used in NL and could call them.

We rent the place so I will only be able to go through the window with venting.

im pretty sure the difference is the one we use for glass is refurbished and thats it.
Old 2011-06-20, 2:00am

Default medical oxycon

Great! I have a guy here who knows how to get just about anything, so I could put him on the hunt. Do you know when they refurbish an oxycon what do they do to it?

Also while they mostly speak English as well as Arabic, I find it is easy to misinterpret what someone is trying to say. So I need to make sure he understands what it is I need.

I am wondering about the vent system as I would not want to buy from a grow house. They might think I am going to grow something not allowed. Being a guest of a different country I do not want to do anything I should not.
Old 2011-06-20, 7:23am
Curmudgeon Engineering

When they 'refurbish' an oxycon they mostly just check its operation, change the filter(s) and clean it up a bit. The really good places might, might, repour the sieve beds...but that's a long shot. Unless the unit has been really abused the beds should not need repouring for thousands of hours.
Old 2011-06-20, 8:06am

It's my understanding that usually the refurbished ones are retired from medical use. The standards for medical are pretty strict, as you can imagine, since they run 24/7. For beadmaking, the hours you would put on it would be a fraction of that, so they just clean them up like cheng076 said, and sell them for other uses.
Old 2011-06-20, 10:19am

Default Refurbished oxycon

So, do you think I could send my local guy to seek out an oxycon that is an old medical one and just use it or Should I see if he knows some mechanically inclined person to clean it up or check it out?
Old 2011-06-20, 10:39am

Location: Loving Bermuda, dreaming of Africa and looking forward to Maine!

You must be registered with a doctor ... Maybe ask someone in his/her practice where the best place is to get one and where they are fixed ... Or ask an old people's home at the info desk ... If they have them there of course? Venting ... They must have kitchen shops there with all the foreigners living there, they might have an old extractor hood they took out of a kitchen they refurbished which might work for you? Or have a scratch and dent on hand if you are lucky?! Good luck!
Old 2011-06-21, 10:32pm

Default finding supplies in a different country

Thanks for walking me through this. Sounds so simple when I hear someone else suggest it.
I googled oxycons and you can order them through a site in China if you are a DR. They get a lot of appliances, etc, through China.

Anyway, the idea of getting a used one from an old nursing home or through a Dr is a good one. I would really need to take our local guy, some places I shouldn't go. And I am sure he knows where to find a vent hood with enough power, I haven't seen any in the stores I have ventured into. There are some areas we are advised not to go.
Old 2011-06-22, 2:05am

I certainly can't make any suggestions regarding the country or local stuff, but I can suggest (courtesy of a husband in the Army and many house moves behind us) that if you set up and extraction fan, mount it on a board that you can cut down to fit into the open window hole, that way it blocks off the air from coming back in too. It will also mean that when you move it is just a case of lifting it out of the window space. My hubby has move airconditioners and stuff this way for us (for the dog door we just take a screen door with us and install it). Leo (DH) even got a bit of rubber stuff for around the window hole mounted on the board to make sure there was no drafts or anything.

Just a small idea that could work on a rental!

Good luck with setting up, it will be a lovely spot to escape into when you get it done!

Nat

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2011-06-22, 10:31pm

Thanks Nat, I lived in the Netherlands for a couple years and did just that with thick styrofoam in the window and cut a hole for the vent ducting to go through. This expat living leaves us without proper tools but you can usually find someone to cut or build something for you.
Wish I kept my vent hood, oxycon etc from when I lived there as the electric current would work here as well. Had a great teacher and glass and tools supply place just a 1 1/2 hour train ride away. I didn't think that a few years down I would need it again. drats!