No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2011-09-12, 6:11pm
Curmudgeon Engineering

Default Ventilation: a treatise

Here is a newsletter article I wrote for the local ISGB chapter, Fire & Rain, some time ago.

Some food for thought.

PJH
Attached Files
File Type: doc VENTILATION.doc (31.0 KB, 657 views)
Old 2011-09-13, 1:11am
Unmedicated since '62

Hmm...I'm using number 5

Does it help that I have an open window in front of me and an open door to the outside behind me, and most of the time I can feel a draft at my back?

Actually reading that again, I'm somewhere between 5 and 6

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2011-09-13, 9:34am
Curmudgeon Engineering

So you are between the devil and the deep blue sea...

Anything is better than nothing. The draft from behind is a good indication that you are getting moderately fresh air to breath..."most of the time". Have you looked at the possibility of contaminated air recirculating in your work area? Having no obvious breathing or health issues is good but may not be indicative of long term affects.

The article is by no means definative. There are just too many variables to consider. I made general observations based on many hours of research and the observation of various shops and classrooms and descriptions of working environments from several glass forums combined with my training and experience with air conditioning/ventilation.

As a safety issue I rank ventilation just below good glasses in importance and impact on ones health. I urge everyone to install the best system for your situation and that you can afford. How many things I suffer now that I could have prevented had I known. Take care.
Old 2011-09-13, 12:53pm
Intermembrane Time Travel

I will have to take a look at this in a bit ;D
Old 2011-09-13, 4:18pm
Unmedicated since '62

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheng076 View Post
So you are between the devil and the deep blue sea...

Anything is better than nothing. The draft from behind is a good indication that you are getting moderately fresh air to breath..."most of the time". Have you looked at the possibility of contaminated air recirculating in your work area? Having no obvious breathing or health issues is good but may not be indicative of long term affects.

The article is by no means definative. There are just too many variables to consider. I made general observations based on many hours of research and the observation of various shops and classrooms and descriptions of working environments from several glass forums combined with my training and experience with air conditioning/ventilation.

As a safety issue I rank ventilation just below good glasses in importance and impact on ones health. I urge everyone to install the best system for your situation and that you can afford. How many things I suffer now that I could have prevented had I known. Take care.
i figure i torch for maybe an hour at a time at most, (more in the last week but thats rare), one or two times a week, i dont use silver glass very often and usually only in tiny amounts (dots etc), i rarely use silver foil or fume and when i do i wear a mask, same with enamels.

when i say i have a window in front of me i mean a whole wall of window, same at my back - my biggest problem is the flame being blown about so i figure i'm getting plenty of makup air

i am going to install ventilation, its next on the list but because of the configuration of the room its really difficult

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2011-09-13, 5:48pm

Thanks PJH!
Very readable and pricks the conscience!

Cherry
Old 2011-09-14, 11:04am
sunscreen me baby

Very helpful information! I have number 2. I spent a small fortune to set it up but it's really worth it. I do have to keep my leaf weighted down to keep it from being sucked up the hood, lol.

~

Old 2011-09-16, 2:28am
CiM Tamarind-Skinned

I am working with #2. I love it! It passes the smoke test just perfectly. I am very happy with it.