No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2006-10-26, 6:01pm

Default Need advice for beginner lampwork

Hi
I really..... really.... want to try lampworking, but i dont know where to begin or what i need
can someone point me in the right direction, i know nothing about it yet
Old 2006-10-26, 7:10pm
Life is change. Love it

Hi Angie

I would advise you to find somewhere to take a class. You'll learn basics and find out if it's right for you. It's not the cheapest hobby!

Good luck

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2006-10-26, 7:11pm
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

Definitely take a class.
Trying to learn this by yourself
has to be one of the most frustrating things.
Where are you located?

Get your copy of the new Lampwork Etc. Tutorials and Tips Book

Old 2006-10-27, 2:59am

Im located in UK
Old 2006-10-27, 4:56am

Hi Angie try the UK lampwork forum (not as big as this one but usefull) or try to get to one of the bead fairs where Martin Tuffnell is demonstrating he is very good and carries all the equipment you are likely to need I'll dig out some links for you and put them in the next post good luck

Mike
Old 2006-10-27, 5:01am

Links

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...420#post819420

http://www.tuffnellglass.com/index.h...d=38962.588796

Here's the links Angie have fun

Mike
Old 2006-10-27, 7:40am
Obsessive Torch Disorder

Hi Angie,

Exactly one year ago I knew I wanted to learn more about lampworking, so, I spent about 2 months devouring everything there was to read on the internet, everything from tutorials, studio set up, what tools were used for what, EVERYTHING I could find I studied and taught myself about. After that, I knew it was time to take the next step so I asked my husband to buy me a Hot Head "starter kit" for my birthday, which he did. With his help, I set myself up in the garage and started making the worst beads EVER, BUT, I KNEW that I wanted MORE and I really wanted master this art! Long story short, I worked on my own, on the hot head, for about 3 months. I was doing pretty well by that time and thats when I decided that it was time for a class. I took a private beginner class, but to tell you the truth, I had read SO much and taught myself so much that, even though it was a great class, I really knew everything that she taught me but it was really good to actually SEE someone make the beads, which was the biggest help to me..After a few more months it was time to move on and I bought a Mini CC torch and it has just taken off from there! You can do this on your own, lots of people have NEVER taken a class. I would advise just READ READ READ first. Go on other lampworkers websites as they have tutorials and they have links to other lampworkers and THEY have tutorials. I have two HUGE binders full of print outs from these tutorials and they have come in VERY handy over this past year....Teach yourself first, then take a class, that's what worked best for ME...you can always do it the other way around, of course!!!

Good luck!!!!
~Lynn

Facebook:

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"
Old 2006-10-27, 7:57am
Missing presumed fed

If you want to get a book, Cindy Jenkins' "Making Glass Beads" got a lot of us started. It's a good introduction and it's very user-friendly, although it's not the most encyclopedic book. If you want a reference book to have on hand once you get started, I'd recommend Jim Kervin's "More Than You Wanted to Know About Glass Beadmaking." Bandhu Scott Dunham has a beautiful two-volume set about Flameworking that covers more than just beadmaking if you want a reference book that goes beyond beads. The Cindy Jenkins book is widely available. The other two books are more likely to be carried only by glass suppliers.

Another book that might be a good introduction for you would be Kimberley Adams' book, which I think is called The Complete Book of Glass Beadmaking. It's published by Lark Books and has been out about two years. It's intended for beginners and I think it's pretty widely available. I've seen it in regular bookstores -- don't know about the U.K., though.

If you can't find a class that works out for you, Kate Fowle Meleney has a video (DVD) for beginners that's excellent.
Old 2006-10-27, 10:00am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily

If you can't find a class that works out for you, Kate Fowle Meleney has a video (DVD) for beginners that's excellent.
Don't forget the UK has a different TV system to the USA

Mike
Old 2006-10-27, 10:05am
tweetysweetie

Angie, we have plenty of lampworkers that are self taught and do incredible work I'd say...it can be done. Cost factors and location seem to prevail usually for the self taught lampworkers. I always recommend going the other route...taking classes, as many as you can afford. You grow by leaps & bounds. The below links might be of help to you...good luck and prepare to become addicted!

http://www.gbuk.fsworld.co.uk/

Old 2006-10-28, 10:13am
Formerly known as LT

Angie, I to think taking a class is important. You will know within the first hour if you love it or not and the instructer can help you alot so you don't feel so lost. I would also recomend Passing the flame. It is a great book if classes are not an option for you.
Old 2006-10-28, 10:45am

I'm self taught. I'd suggest getting one of Cindy Jenkin's books, then devour this site plus wetcanvas's technical section.

I've got way cool handmade bags for sale in the Garage Sale area for a buck each!
Old 2006-10-28, 11:16am

Whereabouts in the UK are you?

Old 2006-10-28, 12:13pm
Facebook addict

Angie, like everyone else says, you should get a good book first. I am self taught and have never taken a class. I started this around 5 years ago with Cindy Jenkins book and a HH starter kit. I have since changed over to a mini cc torch and two concentrators.
In my mind, I figured I could burn up a whole lotta glass for the price it cost for a class. LOL
Good luck to you!

Mini cc w/2, 5 lpm concentrators
Old 2006-10-29, 3:42am
More ideas than talent

I'd vote for class if you can get one first up too. It's one of those things where some good demonstration makes a big difference. It should also give you a good idea of what you'll eventually be able to do, while you're trying to deal with all the coordination issues.

The books then come in useful afterwards for the technique.

Old 2006-10-29, 4:24am
Mitzy

Coming from an educational background, I think it is important to ask yourself, How do YOU learn? What works for one person won't necessarily work for another.
I like to read about things, but if I don't have some hands on I am sometimes too afraid to try it myself. What works well for me is to take a hands on class, practice myself, by myself, and then, either go back for more classes or read up on it again.
It is important, when learning something as potentially dangerous as lamp/glass working (I think) to get some professional advice. After all, you are working with hot glass, deadly gas, hot, hot, hot fire, etc.
Then again, that could just be the gin talking.
Old 2006-10-29, 6:28am
It dazzles, it sparkles

I am from the UK
Can i be of any assistance?

Old 2006-10-29, 7:13am

Welcome to our obsession Angie! Lots of good advice here. I'll just add be sure to read the Safety Forum here on LE. You need to figure out ventillation before you light the torch.
Be safe and have fun!
Old 2006-12-06, 8:41am

Hi angie, contact arrowsprings.com they give classes and will help you in every question you will give them. Ask about a starter pack of KUGLER sticks COE 104, wonderful...
glass-diary