LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2006-12-02, 6:12am
Word to your mother

Default Where do I get the spiral press?

I have done searches here and through google and I get everything BUT where to actually BUY the press or template that has that spiral shape in it. I don't want a spiral BEAD (cattwalk has those, and while nice...not what I'm lookign for)...I want to take something I've made and press it ONTO the spiral and have the design show up.

Bueller?

Anyone?

Anyone?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by beadstillmyheart; 2006-12-02 at 6:17am.
Old 2006-12-02, 6:22am

Kendra, How about this one from Cattwalk?
http://www.cattwalk.com/Embossed.htm#Spirals

Also someone on LE made their own spiral "branding iron" with heavy wire. I think it could be done with an old 1/16" mandrel.

edit: I found the thread for making your own:
http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...ghlight=spiral
and another:
http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...ghlight=spiral

Last edited by Judi_B; 2006-12-02 at 6:27am.
Old 2006-12-02, 6:39am
sunscreen me baby

That is what I use Kendra, the spiral plank.
Attached Images

~

Old 2006-12-02, 7:01am
Formerly known as LT

The one from cattwalk is a cool press.
Old 2006-12-02, 7:07am
Word to your mother

Judi, thanks for those links. You guys are awesome!!!

Suzy, you mentioned a "plank", but I didn't find one on her site. I only found these http://www.cattwalk.com/TexturePlanks.htm

Old 2006-12-02, 7:08am
aka Spawn Of Flame

Try Enamal Animal.

They have a spiral press that can be used with enamals or without to just make an impressions. There are some beads with enamal spirals right at the top of the page.

--
--
--

Old 2006-12-02, 7:12am
Embracing My Wonkiness

If you mean the Jim Moore one...
http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZart...QQfsooZ1QQrdZ0
...it doesn't appear he's got anything for sale on eBay right now.

And I could be wrong but I don't believe he sells the lampworking tools through his website. http://toolsforglass.com/ I think there are plans to eventually but I don't think he's set up for it yet.

Lil
Old 2006-12-02, 7:31am
A True Woofer

I think the Jim Moore spiral tongs is what you want.

Old 2006-12-02, 7:33am
Word to your mother

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosemarie23 View Post
Try Enamal Animal.

They have a spiral press that can be used with enamals or without to just make an impressions. There are some beads with enamal spirals right at the top of the page.

DING DING DING DING DING!!! We have a winner. WOW...they have quite a selection under "dies". Oh my the posibilities!

Old 2006-12-02, 7:34am
Word to your mother

Quote:
Originally Posted by JavaGirlBT View Post
I think the Jim Moore spiral tongs is what you want.

ewwwww...those are nice too!!! Pricey, but nice.

NOW what do I do? BUY IT ALL!!!!!!!

Old 2006-12-02, 7:39am
Embracing My Wonkiness

heh
Old 2006-12-02, 7:46am
Word to your mother

Thanks guys....got EXACTLY what I wanted from Enamel Animal.

Their dies look really nice. LOTS of creative possibilities. I think the hearts are the next on my wish list. Thanks for posting that link!

Old 2006-12-02, 8:04am
StudioMarcy

Okay, this thread has caused me to raid my paypal account and buy something. I hate it when I can't resist.

I have the Jim Moore spiral tongs and they are great too.
I got mine through Andrea Guarino.

Marcy

Marcy Lamberson
Studio Marcy
Old 2006-12-02, 8:15am

Location: Im in Lawrenceburg TN .. about 1 1/2 south of Nashville

Hey Kendra , theres a guy on ebay that has a spiral tong http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQfgtpZ1QQ...3aMEWAQ3aMESOI
then theres is the other guy That says he will make what you want .http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQfgtpZ1QQ...3aMEWAQ3aMESOI
Both of their prices are great .
Perhaps someone here can speak about the quality of these two sellers tools ?

"If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you have to find the courage to live it."*John Irving*

Old 2006-12-02, 8:18am

Jim Moore's!!!!!
www.toolsforglass.com

click on new tools

I use these all of the time!!!!!

Andrea

Old 2006-12-02, 8:29am
Word to your mother

ya'll are GOOD. Who wants to do my Christmas shopping

Old 2006-12-02, 8:30am
I've got goodies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by silkys View Post
Hey Kendra , theres a guy on ebay that has a spiral tong http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQfgtpZ1QQ...3aMEWAQ3aMESOI
then theres is the other guy That says he will make what you want .http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQfgtpZ1QQ...3aMEWAQ3aMESOI
Both of their prices are great .
Perhaps someone here can speak about the quality of these two sellers tools ?
Tapley's are good, but not for everyone. They are excellent for someone not wanting to spend a lot of money and they are very well made.

I have several presses from coonvallyb and would recommend him (David Anderson) to anyone. He's fast and has great customer service.

LE members get 5% off all purchases!!
Coupon code LE

Old 2006-12-02, 1:20pm
It's all about art.

Thanks for the links! This is something I have been thinking i would do when I had time. I like the individual, homemade variety so much better. They make more of a one-of-a-kind result as compared to the standard "cookie cutter" look.

Old 2006-12-02, 9:02pm
HourGlass Studio

Just bought a spiral and some enamel - YEAH !! Now I can hardly wait for it to come.

Old 2006-12-03, 5:11am
aka Spawn Of Flame

Quote:
Originally Posted by beadstillmyheart View Post
Thanks guys....got EXACTLY what I wanted from Enamel Animal.

Their dies look really nice. LOTS of creative possibilities. I think the hearts are the next on my wish list. Thanks for posting that link!
Oh good! Their dies ARE really nice.

--
--
--

Old 2006-12-03, 8:21am

I have the Zoozii's texture tools, and they are very easy to use. I'm happy with them, jut take a look here:
http://www.zooziis.com/index.asp?Pag...TS&Category=45

Link to my Blog:

Link to my Openstudiobeads Etsy Shop:

Link to my OliviaMorgana Etsy Shop:

Old 2006-12-03, 9:11am
Covered in glitter

What's the deal with the Zoozii's texture plates? Do you put one on the top and one on the bottom and basically have a changable press with only one holder? Seems like a cool idea if you want to make a lot of one kind of bead in a day. Are they hard to change?

And those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who couldn't hear the music. --Nietzsche
Old 2006-12-03, 9:47am
A True Woofer

Yes, you put them together with a couple of screws. You choose your texture and your shape. Wicked easy. There are a ton of different combinations you can do, because the shape plates come in trio or focal sizes.