Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2006-12-03, 9:35am
Thank God I'm Friendly

Default Piranah and OxyCon

Hello All!!

I've found lots of wonderful info on OxyCons and Minors here, but I have a wonderful little Piranah swimming in my studio.

I'm mainly a soft glass girl - from Satake to Bullseye (I love Bullseye) but I do play with Boro, too. My average "small" soft glass bead is about 1 to 1.5 inches, and I make alot of cabinet knobs, but I will periodically loose my ever-loving marbles and make a 3" lentil that takes five rods of glass and for fracking ever!!. Eventually I'd like to learn a little blowing, too - just small (really small) stuff.

For Christmas my DH wants to help me get an OxyCon, but what works well with a Piranah?? At the moment I'm a tank jockey, like so many others out there....

I feel a little overwhelmed with all of the manufacturer's information and would like some input from "real" people!!

Thanks!!
Leslie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2006-12-03, 10:15am
Shine your bright side!

I have a Pirahna torch and use a Mobileaire V OxyCon and it works great! I bought mine used from an eBay vendor with very low hours. I don't have any problems working Boro.

Website!
"When you discover your mission, you will feel its demand. It will fill you with enthusiasm and a burning desire to get to work on it." - W. Clement Stone
Old 2006-12-03, 12:14pm
PyronamixK

Here is my reply that I posted on WC (in case anyone who doesn't go over there is interested):
Quote:
It's pretty easy to recommend a concentrator based soley on the numbers - that concentrator puts out this much and this torch needs that much to run its biggest flame, etc.

But, here's the question you need to ask yourself, "Do I need the full capacity of the torch to do the work that I want to do?" For many people, that answer is, "no." You may find that the work you do only requires at most the mid range of that torch's capabilities and that it functions quite well on 5 LPM (this is particularly true with soft glass bead work). In fact, many people will run two small torches or one large torch on a single 10 LPM concentrator because they do not need to get the full range from their torches for the work that they do.

But then, you also have to look at what you plan to do. If all you ever wanted to do is make soft glass beads, then I would say to just get a 5 LPM concentrator. You said that you already do a little boro. You can work boro with a 5 LPM concentrator, but it is s-l-o-w. You also said that you would like to do some small blowing. I think that you would be happier with the performance two 5 LPM machines or a single 10 LPM machine would give you.

And, if you eventually move to a larger two stage 4-stud torch, you will be able to power the centerfire of the larger torch with your concentrator(s). You could power the outerfire with tanked oxygen or with another concentrator. For the work you describe, you would most likely use the centerfire more than anything else. So, having a tank for the outerfire would be an economical option.

For my own glassworking, I use a Regalia (10 LPM at 7-9 psi) on a Lynx and a Cheetah. It provides all the oxygen I need to work soft glass and small to medium boro.
Leslie, after reading your post over there on WC, I think using one 5 LPM concentrator might be limiting. There are two ways to look at this:
  • You can get a 5 LPM concentrator now and add a second if/when you want better performance; or,
  • You can start out with a 10 LPM unit. You can never have "too much."

Either way, I think that if you were able to work bigger more comfortably, you probably would work bigger more often. You will need a bigger torch to do that. So, if getting a bigger torch is something you plan for the future, you should keep that in mind when deciding what to do now.
Old 2006-12-03, 1:19pm
Thank God I'm Friendly

I'm thinking that I'll eventually (read sooner rather than later) upgrade from the piranah - you're absolutely right. My DH is looking at an OG20 right now - so far that's the way we're leaning. Any experience with that one??