LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-07-05, 7:08pm

Default Looking for a good clear too!

I thought I'd check with our encasing experts ...... and those still perfecting too!

thanks for your input.
elyart
Old 2010-07-05, 7:11pm
Tweedle Dumb

I like Aether, but my clear of choice is Moretti Super Clear. Aether does some funky stuff to the colors of silver glass, sometimes good, sometimes not so good. So I stick with MSC as much as possible.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<Click For My Latest Murrini!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<Click! For Pandora Style Beads!
Old 2010-07-05, 7:53pm
I like to melt things

I love Aether but have also had the experience of it messing with my silver glass colours. Not all of them, but the blues in particular turn green under Aether, and unless that happens to be what I want, it's not a good thing.

My favourite clear right now is Reichenbach Crystal. It's much stiffer than Aether which makes encasing with it a little less sublime, but it's only a little bit stiffer than Effetre Clear and so very much clearer. You do need to watch you don't overheat it though, or it bubbles like crazy.

-
-
Old 2010-07-05, 7:58pm
Tacki

Ditto on what Melanie said... Aether first, then Reichenbach.
Old 2010-07-05, 11:16pm

My first choice is Kugler clear. Love that stuff.

R#115
Old 2010-07-06, 3:55am

Clarity from Trautman is a great batch right now too. Not a scum, not a nothing, just lovely clear glass.
301-770-7666

The #1 Lampworking Source for the Mid-Atlantic!
Old 2010-07-06, 7:02am
Bead Crone

I bought some Clarity too, and I love it.
Old 2010-07-06, 7:31am
Rose colored glasses…√

I just bought some Clarity also. I like it, but not for encasing. It's too stiff. I'm seriously considering trying the softer Lauscha clear just for giggles.

OMG I listed some stuff!!! Little devils ARE ice skating!!!

RIP Sunday; You can donate for Izzy's Future Trust @:

Live kindly...'cause karma will bite you in the ass harder than you ever thought about nibblin'...
Old 2010-07-06, 7:37am
state-eternal change

I've used the Lauscha - great clear! some people have no issues with it, others have issues - make some test beads first, and go from there. Paula at Flamedame is a great vendor for Lauscha clear

Old 2010-07-06, 8:36am
Rose colored glasses…√

My largest concern with the Lauscha is that I've heard it only does well with silver glass if annealed at a higher temperature. Higher temperatures can kill the colors in silver glass. Stuff to ponder...

OMG I listed some stuff!!! Little devils ARE ice skating!!!

RIP Sunday; You can donate for Izzy's Future Trust @:

Live kindly...'cause karma will bite you in the ass harder than you ever thought about nibblin'...
Old 2010-07-06, 9:00am

Effetre for me. I know, I'm probably the only one.

Old 2010-07-06, 9:19am

I like Moretti Super Clear and Reichenbach Crystal, depending on what I am doing.
Old 2010-07-06, 2:12pm

i love Clarity and Moretti Super Clear. I am not the best at encasing but I try!!!
Debi
Old 2010-07-06, 5:05pm
Mad about Glass

For 104 coe Aether, Clarity, Reichenbach 104 Crystal clear. Lauscha is fine also but I never use it with silver glass.

For Bullseye and the 92coe glass you can't beat Schott.

Jenn

[url]

Old 2010-07-06, 6:52pm

I love Lauscha clear and until this year it was the only clear I would use. I did have some cracking issues when I used it over silvered glass.
Lately I've been using Effetre Super Clear, I like it.

Old 2010-07-07, 2:37am
I need more boro stuff

Laucha clear is fine, unless you are using silver glass then it is a gamble when using Laucha. Btw, I annealed my beads at 970 for 1 hour and ramp down 50/hour.

Otherwise, reichenbach crystal clear.

Schott for COE90.

Old 2010-07-07, 8:17am
You talkin to me?

I have a pound of Moretti Super clear that bubbles and gets scummy when I heat it. I have to heat it out of the flame at the very tip if I don't want a ruined encased floral. Maybe I got a bad batch?

I work on a Minor burner, with an oxy-con and household natural gas
Old 2010-07-07, 8:23am
Tweedle Dumb

Melissa, I've found with moretti super clear that it doesn't do well with a lot of propane in the mix. I have to use a pretty oxy heavy mix when initially working it and getting it where it needs to be. Then if I need to up the propane to finish off the bead I can. It does have little bubbles even in optimal flame atmosphere... nothing I find bothersome. I've never had it go scummy.

<Click For My Latest Murrini!

<Click! For Pandora Style Beads!
Old 2010-07-07, 8:36am

thanks for that tip
Old 2010-07-07, 11:09am

I've encased almost every silver color with Lauscha soft clear without a problem. I've shown photos in the past. These were all annealed at 940 and not the usual Lauscha 980.
A few years ago Carol Anne (in Lauscha) took everyone's cracked bead combos and replicated them without any cracking happening. I think they work differently than we do here...One thing in particular that they do is reheat the entire bead when adding glass and pop it into the kiln.YMMV.

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2010-07-08, 11:06am

I get my clear in 17-18mm rods. I use Effetre and Vetrofond, but I peel the impurities off.

Here is how I do it:
http://www.tumbleweedglass.com/videos.html

Steve

Old 2010-07-08, 12:20pm

I really like effetre super clear. Just make sure you wash it REALLY good with dish detergent when you first get it, then like Jamie Lynne says, use a heavy oxygen mix.