No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-11-11, 5:19pm
To Bead Or Not To Bead

Default Masks for working with enamels

I use the P-100 disposable masks, but have a problem with them. Everytime I use them they fog up my glasses. Does this happen to anyone else? Is there a better mask for me to use. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Patsy

Ebay:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2012-11-11, 5:35pm
Loving learning

They fog up my glasses too. I was thinking I might try adding some foam to the top edge to fill that gap at least a bit, but haven't tried it yet.
Old 2012-11-11, 5:43pm

This might help. http://www.envirosafetyproducts.com/...ith-valve.html
I use one with the canister filters on either side and adjustable straps. It's pretty much good for anything I would need it for.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2012-11-11, 5:52pm
Unmedicated since '62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Muses Glass View Post
This might help. http://www.envirosafetyproducts.com/...ith-valve.html
I use one with the canister filters on either side and adjustable straps. It's pretty much good for anything I would need it for.
same, i figured if i was doing fuming etc then i might as well have the best protection i could get

one thing the guy warned me about though, when you're not using them they have to stay in a plastic bag or the filter wears out

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2012-11-11, 9:41pm
To Bead Or Not To Bead

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectDeb View Post
same, i figured if i was doing fuming etc then i might as well have the best protection i could get

one thing the guy warned me about though, when you're not using them they have to stay in a plastic bag or the filter wears out
How do you know when in wears out?

Ebay:
Old 2012-11-12, 5:08am
Melody of Glass

Folks, if they are fogging up your glasses, the fit is not right and you will not be properly protected!

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Coming soon...

Old 2012-11-12, 5:43am
Unmedicated since '62

Quote:
Originally Posted by killerbeedz1 View Post
How do you know when in wears out?
Good question, I think something changes colour

Old 2012-11-12, 5:43am
Unmedicated since '62

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliente View Post
Folks, if they are fogging up your glasses, the fit is not right and you will not be properly protected!
Good point!

Old 2012-11-12, 3:44pm
burnin' glass just becuz

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliente View Post
yup, i was going to say the same thing - for the cheaper ones, you may need to securely pinch the clips around the nose and make sure both straps are securely in place as per the directions in order to ensure fit. I haven't had a fit issue with the pricier ones (that you can exchange canisters).

Also the respirator for enamels filters fine particulates and the one for working silver glass filters fumes. I have two respirators: one for each purpose and swap out as needed.

Give ideas away - there are new ones underneath... Diane Vreeland
Old 2012-11-22, 12:33am
To Bead Or Not To Bead

I have pinched the nose part in the past, but my glasses fog up so much that I can't see what I'm doing.

Ebay:
Old 2012-11-22, 4:38am
Melody of Glass

This is a good instruction video on putting on and checking your mask. If you are using an N95 that is not surgical style, start watching around 10 min.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ga5g...e_gdata_player

A couple of highlights:
-Never pinch the nosepiece. Fit it with fingers from both hands.
-If you're fogging up your glasses, either the size of the mask or the way you put it on is incorrect and you are not protected!
-Use both straps. In the right places!

These masks work well but the way you wear them is critical to their function.

I personally prefer the more flexible disposable masks with the valve on the front as I find them more comfortable but I dont use them at home as they are far more expensive.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Coming soon...

Old 2012-11-22, 7:11am
Lampworkaholic!

Wow, I have been putting mine on all wrong, thanks. I have the surgical style with the valve, and my nose gets all stooped up and drippy too. Bleh.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2012-11-24, 5:22pm
To Bead Or Not To Bead

Thanks for the link Caliente and info.

Patsy

Ebay:
Old 2012-11-24, 6:57pm
Loving learning

I've just used the ones I bought at the lumber store, and never thought to mold the metal around my nose. I've also had the strap go bad & replaced it with ribbon. Time to rethink maybe? (I bought them for spraying glaze, not lampwork, but did use one once or twice using enamels, so thanks for the info)