Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Old 2010-05-26, 6:24am
ILERNTITBYWATCHINU

5 months of waiting, and it finally arrived. the scorpion is an awesome torch. i spent about 6 hours last night learning how to use it and playin around. i'm already completly happy with my purchase, and the wait was worth it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-05-28, 8:39am

Quote:
Originally Posted by pam View Post
Kimberly is sooooo fantastic, and GTT is soooooo lucky to have her helping people with their questions and concerns!
Totaly,
She should get at least 51% of GTT for all she does for them.
I don't know if her BIL is blind or what.He should spend some time reading her post here.
G.
Old 2010-05-31, 3:08pm
Flameworker

Im sorry, is the scorpion a triple surface mix torch like the lynx or cheetah?
Old 2010-05-31, 8:39pm
Flamewoman

I have had my Scorpion for a while now. I am having a problem with it. No matter what kind of flame I run, I get little glowing embers on the face. This has been happening since I got it. It does it less with a hot flame for boro, but turned down for soft glass it does it a lot. I have tried running it with different pressure on the propane, it still does it.
I have tried it in every possible variation I can think of and it still does it. I clean it every time I use it. Still does it. I am running it with a regalia. My Lynx never did this. What am I doing wrong? It is very annoying, I have to stop and get the crap off the face several times for every piece I make, I just knock them off with mashers, but I wish I knew how
to prevent it. I like the torch, but not the embers.
Any ideas? Anyone else with this result?

You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never
know how soon it will be too late.

PLEASE like my page!
Old 2010-06-01, 5:08am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas Propp View Post
Im sorry, is the scorpion a triple surface mix torch like the lynx or cheetah?
No the Scorpion is not a triple mix torch. It is a fuel and oxygen efficient torch with inner and outer rings. Inner being a Cricket.
Old 2010-06-01, 5:56am

I get the same thing.

I have not worried about it but I do keep a tool near by to scrape in front of the flame

I can have a very strong hissing O2 flame and it still happens. I just keep scraping it off....... Is this OK?
I sure love the torch flame I get on the scorpion! I really like this torch!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary K View Post
I have had my Scorpion for a while now. I am having a problem with it. No matter what kind of flame I run, I get little glowing embers on the face. This has been happening since I got it. It does it less with a hot flame for boro, but turned down for soft glass it does it a lot. I have tried running it with different pressure on the propane, it still does it.
I have tried it in every possible variation I can think of and it still does it. I clean it every time I use it. Still does it. I am running it with a regalia. My Lynx never did this. What am I doing wrong? It is very annoying, I have to stop and get the crap off the face several times for every piece I make, I just knock them off with mashers, but I wish I knew how
to prevent it. I like the torch, but not the embers.
Any ideas? Anyone else with this result?

Viking knit End Caps for sale:
[/url]https://heatherferman.etsy.com[/url]

Last edited by Dasi; 2010-06-01 at 7:23pm.
Old 2010-06-01, 9:05am
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Are you getting it on the inner or outer fire? I have a cricket and never get those embers on the face.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2010-06-01, 10:15am
Flameworker

so is this better or not as good as the triple surface mix, I've heard that whats makes a GTT so much better than the rest. Any opinons welcome. I really like this torch but, after hearing about the TSM technology i would really like to have that.
Old 2010-06-01, 5:10pm
balanced but asymmetrical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas Propp View Post
so is this better or not as good as the triple surface mix, I've heard that whats makes a GTT so much better than the rest. Any opinons welcome. I really like this torch but, after hearing about the TSM technology i would really like to have that.
The Scorpion is able to do a lot with a lot less oxygen.
Can't really go wrong with any of the GTTs, they are very efficient. Still, oxygen needs/expense is worth considering when choosing a torch.

Old 2010-06-01, 7:33pm
Flameworker

OK i see, so considering that i only use tanks of oxy and right now i have a National 6b torch, would this torch be more efficient on tanked oxy than per say my 6b(i go through an apprentice size tank in a week or less), or is it more for concentrators? Im sorry i want a bigger torch and the scorpion is what i've been eyeing so i just wanna be golden on it before i commit. Thanks for the help!

Last edited by Nicholas Propp; 2010-06-01 at 7:35pm.
Old 2010-06-01, 8:25pm
Flamewoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasi View Post
I get the same thing.

I have not worried about it but I do keep a tool near by to scrape in front of the flame

I can have a very strong hissing O2 flame and it still happens. I just keep scraping it off....... Is this OK?
I sure love the torch flame I get on the scorpion! I really like this torch!!
Hey Kimberly, got any suggestions?

PLEASE like my page!
Old 2010-06-02, 11:27am
PyronamixK

I'm sorry, Mary, but the only suggestion I can offer is to call GTT at 570-835-9777. I am no longer providing product support for torches that are purchased directly through GTT or through other distributors.

GTT (Wally, actually) does not, and will not, recognize that I have been a help to the company. He goes from saying that I am insignificant and that he has never asked me for help (which is untrue, he has asked for help several times) to saying that whatever help I give (free on-line customer support, in essence) is to be expected (and I am not to receive any thanks or reward for it) since I am married to Willy. Wally just wants me to go away. He says that he can handle all the customer service. So, I am now directing all customer service inquiries to him.

This is hard for me, because my natural inclination is to help. However, it has gotten to the point where I am being exploited (not by you or my fellow LEers, but by Wally). I can no longer allow someone who hates me bitterly to profit in any way from my knowledge and expertise.
Old 2010-06-02, 11:32am
Disconnected

I'm so sorry Kimberly. I really don't understand how he can be so hurtful to his family and at the same time shot himself in the foot businesswise.

Old 2010-06-02, 1:31pm

I hear you Kimberly...but you sell the torches too.
Does one need to contact you via your website to have questions answered?

Old 2010-06-02, 1:38pm
Meow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbinkster View Post
I'm sorry, Mary, but the only suggestion I can offer is to call GTT at 570-835-9777. I am no longer providing product support for torches that are purchased directly through GTT or through other distributors.
That statement would lead me to believe Kimberly will still be offering support to folks who have purchased directly from her. I'd contact her privately and don't blame her one iota for not wanting to be the public support for all issues related to GTT when unappreciated by her BIL.

Go on. Click it!

Yes. We. Did!
Old 2010-06-02, 1:43pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

I completely agree, Kim. Kimberly has been picking up GTT's slack in online support and getting nothing but grief out of it.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2010-06-02, 3:19pm

Quote:
I am no longer providing product support for torches that are purchased directly through GTT or through other distributors.
Oops, I hadn't read this part .
Great reason to buy from Kimberly!

Old 2010-06-02, 9:24pm
Flamewoman

Quote:

GTT (Wally, actually) does not, and will not, recognize that I have been a help to the company. He goes from saying that I am insignificant and that he has never asked me for help (which is untrue, he has asked for help several times) to saying that whatever help I give (free on-line customer support, in essence) is to be expected (and I am not to receive any thanks or reward for it) since I am married to Willy. Wally just wants me to go away. He says that he can handle all the customer service. So, I am now directing all customer service inquiries to him.

This is hard for me, because my natural inclination is to help. However, it has gotten to the point where I am being exploited (not by you or my fellow LEers, but by Wally). I can no longer allow someone who hates me bitterly to profit in any way from my knowledge and expertise.
Whoa, that is so sad that it has come to this for you. It must hurt you,
and of course it hurts us all in turn. But I guess I can still come to you for advice on my Regalia, as I did buy that from you. Crap, your torch advice has always been right on.

PLEASE like my page!
Old 2010-06-03, 5:44am
<--- Time traveler

Quote:
...I can no longer allow someone who hates me bitterly to profit in any way from my knowledge and expertise.
Wow, Kimberly, what an awful position to be in. I'm so sorry you are dealing with this! I have no doubt that your participation on this board has been directly or indirectly responsible for the sale of scores of GTT torches.
Old 2010-06-04, 10:58am

Kimberly, I am so sorry to hear your predicament. I don't blame you at all for the position you have taken. The problem is, I've called GTT and talked to a guy (admittedly I don't know who, but it certainly wasn't Kimberly) several times and never thought they were all that helpful or friendly answering my newbie questions. The only reason I persist to want a GTT torch is all the wonderful things people have to say about them and Kimberly's helpful web presence.

Kimberly, your BIL is making a huge business mistake. He's a very foolish business man to let his feelings jeopardize his business.

I'm also very sorry for you Kimberly. Why doesn't your husband stick up for you and stand by your side? That is what marriage and love is about. Bolstering one another, sticking by the other, protecting each other. You should come first in his life and he should not allow his brother to bully you this way, even if it means walking away from this business. Maybe I don't have any right to comment here on this, but irks me to see a spouse slighted by their in laws. I believe that family always comes first and family is a husband and a wife above all else - otherwise how does one ever have a mother and a father? ......

I'm sorry, I'm so far off topic now. I hope you are able to work this out in some way that will strengthen relations, instead of destroying them (that doesn't mean you should acquiesce either ).

Good luck!
Old 2010-06-04, 11:57am

Default Now, I have a dilemma

I have a Sorpion on order from GTT. Should I cancel it and order from Kimberly? I know I won't get the introductory discount, but if GTT customer service is not the greatest, I'd take that trade-off.

Off to ponder this..........

Old 2010-06-04, 12:03pm
<--- Time traveler

If you're on a wait list I'd go ahead and order through Kimberley. But that is based on nothing other than my irritation with GTT on her behalf!
Old 2010-06-04, 12:14pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cghipp View Post
If you're on a wait list I'd go ahead and order through Kimberley. But that is based on nothing other than my irritation with GTT on her behalf!
Well, there IS the LE loyalty aspect. And I totally agree.

Old 2010-06-21, 12:07pm

I did finally get my scorpion, after a 6 month wait, and I must say it is a great torch. I run it off of an ex-15 hooked up to a 10 gallon holding tank. While I do have to "knock" carbon off the inner fire occasionally when running both inner and outer fires, it is nothing major and only happens when I run my holding tank empty. Another ex-15 will most likely alleviate the carbon problem. I am very happy with this torch.

With that said, I am not very happy with the way GTT treats its customers. The two times I called with questions do not rank high on my customer service experiences...In fact it might be the worst service Ive ever gotten from a company...

The attitude I got from dealing with GTT is: We make the best stuff, we can treat you like crap. If you don't like it then piss off.

From what Ive heard around the glassblowing campfire is that Willy and Wally have a relationship that is, to put it gently, more than a little dysfunctional.

Well, I like the scorpion, love it in fact, but will I buy another torch from GTT? Probably not...unless they get a headshrinker in there to work out the emotional problems these guys have.

Old 2010-06-21, 1:57pm
PyronamixK

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTGlassProductions View Post
I did finally get my scorpion, after a 6 month wait, and I must say it is a great torch. I run it off of an ex-15 hooked up to a 10 gallon holding tank. While I do have to "knock" carbon off the inner fire occasionally when running both inner and outer fires, it is nothing major and only happens when I run my holding tank empty. Another ex-15 will most likely alleviate the carbon problem. I am very happy with this torch.

With that said, I am not very happy with the way GTT treats its customers. The two times I called with questions do not rank high on my customer service experiences...In fact it might be the worst service Ive ever gotten from a company...

The attitude I got from dealing with GTT is: We make the best stuff, we can treat you like crap. If you don't like it then piss off.

From what Ive heard around the glassblowing campfire is that Willy and Wally have a relationship that is, to put it gently, more than a little dysfunctional.

Well, I like the scorpion, love it in fact, but will I buy another torch from GTT? Probably not...unless they get a headshrinker in there to work out the emotional problems these guys have.
I PMed you and told you that Willy would like to talk to you, but we have not heard back from you, so I'm just going to ask, because I'm a little confused, here.

You said that the customer service problem stemmed from the attitude you got when you called GTT. What does that have to do with the relationship between Willy and Wally?

Willy does not build the Scorpions, so he is in no way responsible for how long it takes them to be ready. That's all done in-house up at the main GTT shop.

Willy does not answer the phones up there (he works in Colorado), so he's not the person giving the attitude on the phone. He is an owner of the company, so, naturally, any such attitude expressed by an employee would concern him and he would like to know who is giving this attitude.

Repairing whatever relationship problems that exist between Willy and Wally is not going to fix that attitude you described. When everyone was getting along, I was on here happy to help people with their GTT questions and concerns. But, I was never thanked for it by Wally (Willy thanked me) and Wally said that he would prefer it if I referred all problems to him, so I am no longer acting as their on-line spokesperson or technical help resource. But, since that was never an official position and I was never paid for it, I can't see how even my not helping them on-line for free is what is making them have bad customer service now. I only mention me because I can't see how Willy and Wally's relationship is hampering customer service.
Old 2010-06-21, 2:18pm
PyronamixK

Hey, BT, I just got your PM. Thanks.
Old 2010-06-21, 2:39pm

Quote:
Hey, BT, I just got your PM. Thanks.
No, thank you for all the help and info you've posted on here.

My point behind Willy and Wally working out their differences is that if they worked them out you wouldn't be getting scolded for helping paying customers with your expertise of GTT torches.

Old 2010-06-22, 11:43am

"The attitude I got from dealing with GTT is: We make the best stuff, we can treat you like crap. If you don't like it then piss off."

Let me reiterate:

I just want to point out that the staff at GTT were not OVERTLY rude, only mildly annoyed that I was curious on the status of my torch. I formed my opinion of GTT's attitude towards customers because of the service I received as a customer. I never received an order confirmation email or anything of that sort. I never got a status update. Ever. I had to call and check in on it to make sure it was being made because for awhile there I really wasn't sure. Not cool when Im dropping a hard earned seven hundo on a piece of gear.
I run my own business. I know its in no way on par to what GTT is doing, but when someone orders something from me I contact them within one business day to let them know whats up. It lets my customers know that I care about their business. Im not saying GTT should be as involved with their customers as I am but a "thanks for your order" confirmation email and an accurate shipping date would fix everything. I would have been cool with the six month wait if they had been up front about it.
I do understand the attitude, though. GTT makes great torches. If I had canceled my order it wouldn't have mattered in any way. Someone else would quickly step right up for mine. I guess they can run their business however they want as long as them keep making amazing torches.

Luckily for me, and much thanks to Kim for the info, I know how to run this torch properly and it will be (hopefully) many, many years before I have to send it in for a referb. From what Ive heard that's another six months without the torch...

Old 2010-08-31, 8:06pm
ilene

Default Scorpion Torch arrived.

Scorpion arrived today after 5+ month wait.
Well worth the wait, I suppose, but can't really say because I've only made beads on a Minor Burner for the last five years and because I've only used a Wildcat torch for one day. Taking this into account, I will tell you that this torch rocks!!! What took eight minutes+ on a Minor Burner took me 15 to 20 SECONDS on the Scorpion and that was just using the inner fire (Cricket). Had I known this fact, I would have ordered a Cricket a looooong time ago and would have made a zillion more beads! Unbelievable!!!

The outer fire is very impressive, both inner and outer flames are easy to adjust, manipulate, play with, and do it all again just because its a thrill to finally have a bigger torch. I never even turned my kiln on today, just sat there and made stamen, twisties, all kinds of multicolored twisted beauties and was amazed how fast it was, how big a gather of molten glass I could make (oh yea!) and how for the first time ever that gather that I was about to grab with my pliers and pull was so darn hot I had to wait, and wait for it to begin to cool and stop drooping. OK, OK, so you're gonna say, Hey dummy you were working too hot!" but that's ok, because I knew I was and I did it because I COULD! LOL Its like getting a two seater convertible and you just have to put the top down and go for a brisk drive... if you catch my drift here.

I have two Oxycons; the 2nd one I purchased from Kimberly and it was a wonderful experience and she was incredibly helpful to which I'm forever grateful.

My Scorpion is a 4 knob, and I don't have the foot pedal yet or even know if I'll get one but for now, I'm quite impressed with this torch. The fact that you can go down to the size of an eyeliner brush flame point to a hauling ass, get outta my way flame makes this a torch I don't think anyone could get bored with for quite awhile. It works fantastic on two oxycons and GTT advised me to use them dialed down just a bit so the O2 is more pure and this worked fine.

GTT Service, I had no problem with, except for the crazy waiting time. When I called, they answered the phone, answered my questions, were nice and helpful each time. How could they tell me when it was coming when I believe they didn't know either. Perhaps some guy on the beach sitting in a beach hut assembles these torches, I don't know, but I went on with my life until it arrived and time passes quickly when you're not looking.

They called me last week to tell me it was shipping yesterday. It arrived next day and I played with it same day. To top it off I had a silly question about candles and candle length and called them just to be sure I didn't do something wrong and the guy that answered the phone went right out to get Wally who took the call less than 60 seconds later and was very, very nice and helpful. Wally even was telling me what to expect in the differences between the Minor Burner and the new Scorpion. He did not rush off the phone and was very cordial and helpful. Perhaps I caught the world on a good day, I don't know, but my experience was a good one and I am thankful for that.

One thing I noticed immediately was that on the Minor Burner you can work quite close to the torch and on the Scorpion you are notably further out along this flame. Its a new experience, I'll give it time, and I expect it to be a good one.

If anyone knows of any videos that show someone making BEADS using the Scorpion, please post that link. I was unable to find anything except the videos Kimberly produced, which were an excellent resource. Sure would be nice to see it in action in someone elses hands besides mine.

Tomorrow is September 1st, Whew! Goodbye Summer~
Ilene
Old 2010-09-01, 6:26am

Here is my opinion regarding GTT, for what it's worth. If you want customer service such as updates, thank you notes, etc., then buy from a retailer. GTT is a manufacturer of the best torches on the market today. At first, as far as I know, they wouldn't sell except through their distributors. I've known GTT, Willy and Wally, since their first appearance at the Gathering in Albuquerque and they are both really great people. They are generous and kind and know more about torches than anyone I have ever known. They take great pride in the torches they produce and every minute process in the production is under their control. They take it very seriously as we would want them to. I personally have never heard of a bad product they have produced, though odds are that any company will produce a certain amount of "mistakes".

Kbinkster is also a wonderful, wonderful person with a personality that makes her the ultimate representative any company could have. I have rarely met anyone with the working knowledge she has regarding torches, and especially GTT torches. I hope that they get their intercompany problems worked out, because GTT couldn't do better than having Kimberly out in the community helping people with understanding their torches.

"It is easier to perceive error than to find truth, for the former lies on the surface and is easily seen, while the latter lies in the depth, where few are willing to search for it." Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth

My Blog