Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2012-08-23, 1:47pm
Progression in progress

Location: please ask for where i live to send items thank you

Hmmm well ill figure it out
Old 2012-08-23, 4:01pm
Cave Dweller

I'm guessing stump sucker to encase the premade Xenos.

I don't see any bubbles and I cannot believe those are
imploded/compressed and retain that detail.

Watch Judemann's vid, he never reveals much but he's setting up
those murrini pieces in a stump sucker and then encasing them with
a Schott puck.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2012-08-25, 8:40pm

I would have popped in earlier, but I'm in the throes of knocking out some exhibition work atm.

A few things to answer some questions:
  • The difference between a fakie and an implosion is that implosions are ... well ... imploded.
  • I don't fume them.
  • They're not Stump sucked pre-made inclusions, although I'm thinking of getting one one of these days and trying it with boro ... the interesting part would be how to get past the tendency of boro to skin up. If anyone is in the market for a Stump Sucker, make sure you get one from Loren directly. Not only is Loren a fantastic person, the ones he sells directly are by far of superior quality than any of the other ones around. Also, you'll be supporting a consummate artist!
  • They're made on a tube, because it gives me a larger surface to work with to get all that detail in, so James is onto something there
  • Fakie comes from skateboarding, describing a trick done in reverse.
  • My initial inspiration came from Voic's video, but not from what he shows, but something that he said.

I think that's enough info not to go on to make my work (which I know is not the intent anyway), but to have a think about possibilities and go experiment with the development of something really cool.
And finally I'll give you this ... small changes in technique are often a door to something interesting.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Running a
by Miema on LPG and oxy bottles and a GTT Mirage.
Old 2012-08-25, 9:13pm
Pyromaniac

^^ the 'roo hunter has spoken.

(runs off screaming to watch voic's video!)

Fortune Cookie say, "When things go wrong, don't go with them!"

Current Glass-Melting Apparatus:
GTT Lynx powered by 2 5 LPM Oxycons and
a sexy Barracuda running pure tanked Oxy
Old 2012-08-25, 11:46pm
Cave Dweller

Quote:
The difference between a fakie and an implosion is that implosions are ... well ... imploded.
Dang, not stumped...

I offer one half jar of vegemite for more info.

Old 2012-08-26, 12:28am
I speak Murrini!

Wicked...

You are one kick-ass person! Thank you for taking the time to pop in and give us some input.

I hope you know that although we were round-table discussing your work and of course, conspiring a bit to try and "guess" how it's done, your eloquence and fascinating, riddle-esque reply was not only thought-provoking but truly appreciated! You see, I figure I may NEVER figure out how you do these amazing Alien Marbles, but I feel such a sense of your persona in your post...not only does it say "confident" but "docent" as well - traits equal if not beyond your amazing work!

Not everyone who's creations are being examined under a microscope and theorized openly takes it very well; I've seen down right hostility and frankly, depending on how far the inquiries go, near cyber knock-down, drag-out brawls! On the other hand, if every glassy secret were so coveted as the elders planned, it's highly unlikely any of us would even be here exploring this delightful art form, right?

So good on you, Wicked - you're a true glass gentleman!

De

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2012-08-26, 2:11am
Unmedicated since '62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Role View Post
Dang, not stumped...

I offer one half jar of vegemite for more info.
You're trying to bribe an Aussie with Vegemite?? <snort>

ETA- ok just realised wicked is Chris Arnold! A seriously talented guy but I'm not sure that Vegemite is his thing ...although I did once bribe him with blueberry pie...which Loren may have purloined from memory

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy

Last edited by PerfectDeb; 2012-08-26 at 2:20am.
Old 2012-08-26, 2:16am
Unmedicated since '62

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedglass View Post
I would have popped in earlier, but I'm in the throes of knocking out some exhibition work atm.

A few things to answer some questions:
  • The difference between a fakie and an implosion is that implosions are ... well ... imploded.
  • I don't fume them.
  • They're not Stump sucked pre-made inclusions, although I'm thinking of getting one one of these days and trying it with boro ... the interesting part would be how to get past the tendency of boro to skin up. If anyone is in the market for a Stump Sucker, make sure you get one from Loren directly. Not only is Loren a fantastic person, the ones he sells directly are by far of superior quality than any of the other ones around. Also, you'll be supporting a consummate artist!
  • They're made on a tube, because it gives me a larger surface to work with to get all that detail in, so James is onto something there
  • Fakie comes from skateboarding, describing a trick done in reverse.
  • My initial inspiration came from Voic's video, but not from what he shows, but something that he said.

I think that's enough info not to go on to make my work (which I know is not the intent anyway), but to have a think about possibilities and go experiment with the development of something really cool.
And finally I'll give you this ... small changes in technique are often a door to something interesting.
Chris?

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2012-08-26, 6:26am
Progression in progress

*Jaw dropped* Well now that was unexpected but really cool. To bad i still cant get my studio up i really want to try something like his fakie but with a twist i guess you could say. But thanks wicked for stopping by and giving us some words of encourgement. Maybe ill make a technique that will make you ponder but that if it happens will by years from now lol. But thanks again wicked.
Old 2012-08-26, 9:00am
Borovangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by theglasszone View Post

Not everyone who's creations are being examined under a microscope and theorized openly takes it very well; I've seen down right hostility and frankly, depending on how far the inquiries go, near cyber knock-down, drag-out brawls! On the other hand, if every glassy secret were so coveted as the elders planned, it's highly unlikely any of us would even be here exploring this delightful art form, right?
I was thinking that myself. I remember a thread in the soft room that went on for many days and many pages where they were trying to puzzle out how a bead technique was done and ultimately it turned into a butt hurt convention on how they're stealing from another artist.

I found it amusing because without puzzling things out and trying different variations, nothing new ever gets created.

|
|
Old 2012-08-26, 11:49am
I speak Murrini!

Yes, Tom...THAT was the thread I was sort of eluding to...

Now I'm not one to covet my techniques or designs, but I personally have a "gray area" where I could get sort of snippy if someone was trying to exactly copy my work - and better yet, tell everyone how to do it! I think when someone decides to post a "How was this done?" thread it's all fine and good and does right by the medium of glass overall. But when theorizing launches into a full scale reveal - and then someone turns around and decides to post a (trumping) Tutorial on another person's hard-worked technique - that's when things get shady!

I think it comes down to common sense and respect, and treating others how you'd want to be treated, right? I suppose not everyone shares the same moral standards, though, and so that's probably where the road begins to fork.

For me, ultimately, when all else fails, I resurrect a wonderful quote from Kevan here on LE when she straight up said "Go ahead, copy me! I dare you!" Gawd I love her!

Old 2012-08-26, 12:07pm
Progression in progress

My personal favorite qoute is one by thomas edisson *i did not fail a hundred times to make a light bulb i learned a hundred ways not to make a light bulb* i got one of my old english teachers with that one hehe. I personally wouldnt to have anyone copy me because then everything just becomes repeative and thats just no fun. Not to say i havent tried copying before because everyone does when they first start its just when youve been doing it for a year or more and are still copycating that it tends to well get taxing. But i digress lol look at me use a funny word lol haha
Old 2012-08-26, 12:15pm
I speak Murrini!

James - you're GREAT! (And I hope your English teacher gave you an A+!)

Now here's the deal on copying...I admit trying to copy - it's a great way to learn! But as we all know, glass has a mind of it's own! For example, I have done at least 6 separate pulls of my Clown Fish murrini...and in spite of me trying to copy even MY OWN work, they always come out a little different. Even if I work them back to back, literally doing the exact same steps I did on the preceding pull, there will be slight variations! So even copying oneself isn't a slam dunk...

Old 2012-08-26, 12:18pm
Now part of the Dark Side

I agree. I bought Brent's boro Hearts 2 DVD. I learned a lot, especially by doing it exactly the way he did it. But those are his hearts. I took what I have learned and I make MY hearts. I'd love to take the Kabouki Marble classes at CMoG in 2013, I want to learn implosions, not how to make marbles like Kabouki. This is just like learning music, I like a lot of musicians, but I want to play music that I create. Just because I'm influenced/inspired by Pink Floyd, Mozart, and Turlough O'Caralon, doesn't mean that I want my music to sound like theirs.
Old 2012-08-26, 1:26pm
Borovangelist

Kobuki's class is definitely worth it.

|
|
Old 2012-08-26, 1:55pm

It's an entire week, with room and board it's almost $1,200.
Old 2012-08-26, 2:41pm
Borovangelist

Ouch.

Still, not a bad deal. Does it include materials?

|
|
Old 2012-08-26, 2:46pm
Progression in progress

No she almost gave me dettention. But owell
Old 2012-08-26, 4:34pm

i'm waiting for kobuki to have a class in the northeast....i'm there when he does.
i heard he was going to be in Rockland ME this autumn, but i guess that got cancelled.
Old 2012-08-27, 5:22am
Pyromaniac

One of the main learning experiences I had as a budding soft-glass bead maker was work posted on ebay by a seller called Glasscreek. I spent hours and hours and hours studying those beads, and trying to incorporate those techniques into my work. It really caused me to stretch my limits, and I came up with a lot of really neat stuff as a result. Never once felt the need to make an exact copy though. Christian is definitely one of my Boro inspirations, I have some ideas I'd like to try with his "Fakie" technique for sure. He's also been a real good sport about sharing bits and pieces when I get stuck on something - stuff that others might want to hold closer to the vest and/or consider proprietary. (thanks Wicked!)

The copying discussion has been done to death, but I'll take it from another angle: If you have so much stake in one particular design that someone copying it too closely threatens your self-esteem (or your livelihood), you're not being creative enough to be called an artist - and you're losing sight of the fact that neither are they. Don't be threatened by hacks like that. Kick it up a notch!

Another take is this: Arms races drive innovation. Make it a friendly competition, however, and it stops being a zero-sum game and becomes win-win.

Be innovative, and remember - "Good artists copy, great artists steal" - Pablo Picasso

Fortune Cookie say, "When things go wrong, don't go with them!"

Current Glass-Melting Apparatus:
GTT Lynx powered by 2 5 LPM Oxycons and
a sexy Barracuda running pure tanked Oxy
Old 2012-08-27, 3:53pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by menty666 View Post
Ouch.

Still, not a bad deal. Does it include materials?
Yup, and all the oxy you want. CMoG is a great place to go for classes, they get some top names. A weekend class is around $250 for tuition, and amounts to about 10 hours of class time. All materials included.
Old 2012-08-27, 4:45pm

Im glad I pulled this thread up it made me pull out a similar marble of his I got a while back. It is backed with slyme I believe though.
Old 2012-09-02, 1:08am

"Another take is this: Arms races drive innovation. Make it a friendly competition, however, and it stops being a zero-sum game and becomes win-win. "

agreed. i know i've said this before, but trying to duplicate something i've seen just for chucks...then screwing it up, has helped me learn more about how glass behaves then working from a tut or just making simple things. i love "screw off" time and what it produces for me.
Old 2012-09-02, 7:30am

John taught at Pittsburgh Glass Center this summer and his class was top notch! I learned so much and he is a super great guy! Just don't call it an implosion, he considers them compressions.

I am also the proud owner of a Kobuki Samurai Marble! Woohoo!