LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-10-21, 10:05pm

Although i understand jonibirds situation im afraid that is just how the real world of business is. I have invented several tools that i use myself and i dont advertise them but i dont hide them either. I show them off to any other artist who is interested or who comes to my shop.
Its just not realistic to think you can sell a tool and try to keep the world from knowing what it is. What its made from. How to use it. ect.
Its just not going to happen.
Joni you should call it the "joni punch". Then you will forever have your name attached to the tool. That will be way more likely to happen than that nobody will ever let others know what it is. Especially since its such a great idea...
Great ideas dont stay secret.
Khan
Old 2012-10-24, 9:10pm

Iowa!! Iowa???. I'm from Iowa. Actually just 100 mi west of Mason City. 5 mi north of Spencer. And just for the record Iowa is a nice place to b FROM!! Lol
I live now in Alaska!!
Old 2012-10-24, 11:25pm
I speak Murrini!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonibird View Post
I'm sorry, for those of you asking me to make the tool, I have been fighting carpel tunnel like symptoms for months, I'm just not able to make any of the tools right now, as I had hoped...I hope people have good results with the tutorial.
Thank you,
Joni
Quote:
So, I knew that it wouldn't last, I see "the jig is up"! I'll post what it is soon and if you feel it's a good idea, maybe you'll get the tutorial anyway. Thank you to those who honored the agreement, I really appreciate it...Joni
Hi Joni...

Sorry about your hands (I know EXACTLY how that type of hand pain feels) and especially sorry that your tutorial secret may have been revealed.

I've read through this thread and see there's various opinions about whether or not you should do the full "reveal", especially since lots of us bought this tutorial and now you'd be basically making it available for free.

Well, I DID buy your tutorial as well as the secret item to be converted to make it, but as you know, I don't have a dremel and I'm pretty sure my hands couldn't take the work necessary to do the modification myself, which is why I was hopeful that you would eventually be making them for purchase in finished form someday.

I'm a little disappointed as I was hoping - one way or another - that I would someday end up with one of these in my tool arsenal; nevertheless, I think that if you wanted to do a reveal and just show everyone the full "how to", it's your choice and I'm sure lots of people would be thrilled.

But....here's another thought: Have you considered hiring someone to convert the original "secret" item into the punch tool for you, then selling them in finished form? I'm still hoping to have one - and I recall you offering a "discount" to those who bought the tutorial who might eventually buy the tool...but I'm ready to pay (a reasonable) full price, if that ever became an option!

Think about it...

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2012-10-25, 7:13am

DeAnne - I love to help people, it's my thing. I was going to offer to make the tool for you but that would have you sending me the item and instructions, as I didn't buy the tut. This would be wrong. I wonder if someone that bought the tut would be willing to do the Dremel work for you.

"Whether you believe that you can or believe that you can't, you're probably right." Henry Ford
Old 2012-10-25, 8:34am
I speak Murrini!

Aw, Nance - thanks for thinking of me!

I must sound like a sissy, but much like Joni, I have hand problems too. With near 100% loss of cartilage in my left (dominant) hand right where the thumb connects, I'm lucky I have no mobility problems (at least at this point) but there's compromised grasp and strength, so I'm not sure I could pull this off without days of ice packs and possibly doing further irreversible damage

I have an "industrial" area near me here in CA with many machine shops and I've considered asking one of them to possibly help me. Of course since it's a one-time thing I'd be asking for, though, I'm a bit concerned about what the cost might be since I figure they normally take on larger jobs and long-term customers.

But I sure appreciate your thoughtfulness...

De

Old 2012-10-25, 10:04am
Happiness is....

De, See if you can find an open door around the back of the shop you go to, and take cookies with you. Kind of a roundabout way to do this but, most men would be willing to help a lady in distress.

A Crickett and 2 5lp oxycons
Old 2012-10-25, 11:44am
I speak Murrini!

Tee hee hee Karen - I like your style!

I'm exploring another option, but I'll keep that in mind!

Old 2012-10-26, 2:27am

I'll make one for you, De.
I'd need probably a week or so, I take care of my mom and can't always predict my schedule.
I have the tut. and all the items required.
If you would just PM your address, I'll consider it a "not-so-secret Santa" gift.
LMK, Julie
Old 2012-10-26, 3:23am
offically down under

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampwork49 View Post
Iowa!! Iowa???. I'm from Iowa. Actually just 100 mi west of Mason City. 5 mi north of Spencer. And just for the record Iowa is a nice place to b FROM!! Lol
I live now in Alaska!!
5 miles north of Spencer (Loved Carroll's bakery and Stubbs) means that you lived in Fostoria. We used to joke that no one really lived there. I'm from Sioux City and spent our summers at Okoboji.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by tammydownunder; 2012-10-26 at 3:26am.
Old 2012-10-26, 6:32am

Yea Julie!!!!!! I love it!!

"Whether you believe that you can or believe that you can't, you're probably right." Henry Ford
Old 2012-10-26, 9:40am
I speak Murrini!

Aw Julie - you're wonderful! I will PM you! Your offer is so thoughtful and sweet...and I KNOW you're not supposed to balk when offered a gift, but how about a trade? Do you use murrini? () I would love to give you a generous sampling as my "Thank You"...

I'll be in touch...

HUGS!
De

Old 2012-10-26, 1:47pm
Triumphantly Knit!

I've been peeking in on this thread since it's inception.

This is such an example of how drama evolves.

Jonibird figured something out, made a tut, is selling it.

We all want to know what it is. Most people will admit they'd love knowledge for free but it isn't alway available for free.

For instance. How many silver glass tuts are there? They all use silver glass and the exact glass and techniques are disclosed once you buy the tut.

Or a list is given before you buy it but the technique is not.

and many people figure that technique on their own without the tut, that doesn't mean they stole it.

We pay for knowledge that's how education became big money.

Of course I'm hella curious what the mysterious dollar store tool is but I don't think Joni needs to give it up, even if it is figured out by someone somewhere else.

I just don't get all the drama around this. Either tell us or don't tell us but stop teasing us, it makes me frustrated, lol.

It is Joni's tut, if she decides to give it away after some time, hey, what doesn't go on sale somewhere or become 'available' after an initial unveiling?

Or, keep selling the tut, you have every right to.

Do what you want Joni, it's your idea.

When you make them, I'm interested. I haven't bought the tut because from what I've read I won't have the strength to make it myself.

Might I put the tut on my Secret Santa list? Still don't have the strength.

But please, everyone, it's a freakin' tutorial not the fountain of youth.

Or is it??????

I hope you take this the way I mean it. This gets my vote for most talked about dollar store find!

namaste
Rowyn

"Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right"

"Only from the heart can you touch the sky"

"Be kind whenever possible.It is always possible
Old 2012-10-26, 5:30pm

I'm curious as hell. The ONLY reason I haven't bought the tut is because I couldn't justify spending the money on something I couldn't see.

I love this thread though, honestly I look forward to someone commenting on it. It's all very entertaining.

I'm very thankful for this thread not only for the entertainment value but for inspiration. I looked around in my tools and found something that I converted into something like the Bail Biters. I love it.

Best of luck to you Joni - I think you are justified in selling your tut and hope that you don't give away your secret, even though I'm dying for the secret.

Happy Melting!!

Old 2012-10-26, 5:36pm
I speak Murrini!

Rowyn, I understand entirely! But sometimes things just get complicate, 'ya know?

Nance, I'm thinking maybe Joni should hold off on doing the full reveal (well, I'm trying to convince her of that ) as maybe some people will still like to get the Tutorial and do the DIY deal-e-o! But as you say, it's her's to do with as she wants...

She and I are talking about a few things...we shall see how that all turns out! The saga continues...stay tuned!

Old 2012-10-26, 5:56pm
Wonder-wench

my 2 cents - after all this drama and teasing " will I or won't I reveal the secret" pretty much guaranteed I won't be purchasing this tutorial now.

Old 2012-10-27, 3:19am

I fuse glass, I am not a bead maker but I stumbled into this thread, It is a Drama but I find myself coming back to see if the secret is out or not. Then there are the twists, DeAnee has the tutorial but cant build it, out of the blue Julie offers to build it for her. This shows what good people are on this board.
I say let the drama continue:
Bob

e-mail:
Old 2012-10-27, 7:59am
It's about having fun!

Hi guys, thank you for your input. I got flamed pretty bad over this, not so much here but elsewhere. It seems if I say anything I'm going to make alot of people mad, I wasn't understanding this.......but I'm just lying low! Sorry I don't know what else to do... just going to go sit outside on my torch. It's beautiful here today! I was going to respond to some posts.. I'll be back later.
Hope everyone has a nice weekend!
Thank you! Joni
Old 2012-10-27, 11:31am
I'm a lilac!

It's not that I want to see the thread you were flamed in (I'm sorry to hear that) but I swear, I am dying to know what this mysterious "other forum" is! I'm not really active on any other glass forums anymore due to lack of time, but I know it's not any of the other forums I'm on, so I'm wondering if someone started a new glass forum and I missed it!

Old 2012-10-27, 1:19pm
Storm Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalera View Post
It's not that I want to see the thread you were flamed in (I'm sorry to hear that) but I swear, I am dying to know what this mysterious "other forum" is! I'm not really active on any other glass forums anymore due to lack of time, but I know it's not any of the other forums I'm on, so I'm wondering if someone started a new glass forum and I missed it!
I'm clueless and I bet 99.9% of the people reading this are too. So my point is, if nothing was ever said about this mystery person elsewhere covertly giving out hints then no one would even know about it.

Old 2012-10-27, 1:36pm
Tweedle Dumb

Maybe she is talking about the BR thread a couple days ago? Here, as in, not in this thread... there, as in, the BR?

I don't know, but I'm sorry everyone is so bent out of shape about it. It's an all around crappy situation.

<Click For My Latest Murrini!

<Click! For Pandora Style Beads!
Old 2012-10-27, 3:20pm
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie lynne View Post
Maybe she is talking about the BR thread a couple days ago? Here, as in, not in this thread... there, as in, the BR?

I don't know, but I'm sorry everyone is so bent out of shape about it. It's an all around crappy situation.
I don't think so... she was saying that she had heard that a person on another forum had dropped some hints and changed their avatar to a picture of the tool. Definitely not on LE. I just want to know what other forum I don't know about has an active lampworking section!

But yeah, basically what Amy said is also true... since no one else knows what this other forum is or seems to have heard of or seen the posts in question, it seems like it was essentially a non-issue.

Old 2012-10-27, 3:38pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalera View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKDesigns View Post
I'm clueless and I bet 99.9% of the people reading this are too. So my point is, if nothing was ever said about this mystery person elsewhere covertly giving out hints then no one would even know about it.
,,,deleted part... don't know what got into me.

The whole resurrection of this thread has created a whole new mystery besides the tool.
/

Last edited by JoyceMI; 2012-10-27 at 5:18pm. Reason: delete
Old 2012-10-28, 10:35am

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoyceMI View Post
,,,deleted part... don't know what got into me.

The whole resurrection of this thread has created a whole new mystery besides the tool.
/
As well as a lot more drama.....
Old 2012-10-28, 10:51am
I'm a lilac!

So, NOBODY knows what the "other forum" is? C'mon guys, no holding out...

Old 2012-10-28, 10:58am

Im like you Kalera... id like to know if there is a forum ive never heard of. There arent really all that many. Its almost like its imaginary cause somebody on here would know it.
pretty strange if you ask me.

Khan
Old 2012-10-28, 11:00am
Noooobie!

I have no idea if this is "the " website..... but there is another forum that is kinda of current at wetcanvas.com in the art glass area.
Old 2012-10-28, 12:16pm
I'm a lilac!

I'm on Wetcanvas, it's not there. I'm on a bunch of glass forums, but most of them aren't very active and I know it's not any of the ones I'm on, which is why I'm so curious!

Old 2012-10-28, 10:26pm

Quote:
Sorry I don't know what else to do... just going to go sit outside on my torch.
Please don't sit on your torch. It could be very uncomfortable.

All my children have paws
Proud Member of "YOU PEOPLE" 9.13.11
Old 2012-10-29, 1:50am
Cave Dweller

I've searched extensively, there is no forum talking about glass that has
any such posts.

I see the equation as:

Stagnant sales + bit O' Drama = renewed interest.

Pardon, but after watching this thread I'm feeling somewhat cynical.
(Cynical, definition 2, b).

Old 2012-10-29, 5:28am

Great idea! Let me know when available!

Tags
hole in glass, tool