No users in chat

The Flow

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2013-04-08, 5:07pm
Bead semi-newbie

Default big hole beads off the mandrel

help, any tricks to prying the big hole beads off the mandrel? if i don't get help then i have just created a series of large attractive plant stakes...............
LOVE silver glass
Old 2013-04-08, 7:46pm
Salt Box Beads

I don't seem to have problems with my release. I use Foster fire and I make it very dilute and dip all mandrels twice.

Then I soak all of my beads on mandrels overnight in water with Palmolive dish soap. In the morning they are usually in the bottom of the glass. But if I do get a stuck one I wrap the bead with a nitrile kitchen glove to protect it and then I use a very large pair of pliers and gently take hold of the bead trying not to squeeze it, just hold it. I then grip the mandrel with a pair of vise grips.

Lock the vise grips onto the mandrel and then I gently twist the pliers and vise grips in opposite directions. I found that using the large pliers and vise grips saved my hands.

Hope this helps.
Old 2013-04-08, 8:48pm

I use Fusion / Foster Fire 50/50, soak in a bucket for an hour or 2 then tap (hard) each end of the mandrel straight down on a concrete block, loosens the bead and makes most of the release flake off so minimal cleaning needed on the mandrel.
Old 2013-04-09, 4:47am
Ezzy

Try putting the mandrel in the freezer for a half an hour then attack with the vise grips. I've also heard of soaking in Coca Cola. I recently had a tough one, I did the freezer a few times and I finally got it loose.
When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a meteorite hurtling to the Earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much hosed no matter what you wish for. Unless it's death by meteor.
Old 2013-04-09, 9:44am
Bead semi-newbie

It is so much more fun to panic then to try and fix things myself. Sorry. I let it sit in water for almost a full day and the bugger came off with my normal procedure (vice grips on the mandrel, bead wrapped in a paper towel). i love having all these alternatives since sometimes even the smaller bead babies refuse to let go. Tank you all for all your comments.
LOVE silver glass
Old 2013-04-09, 9:48am
Bead semi-newbie

as a thank you, here are all the comments collected in one place for easy cut and paste:

Try putting the mandrel in the freezer for a half an hour then attack with the vise grips. I've also heard of soaking in Coca Cola. I recently had a tough one, I did the freezer a few times and I finally got it loose.
I use Fusion / Foster Fire 50/50, soak in a bucket for an hour or 2 then tap (hard) each end of the mandrel straight down on a concrete block, loosens the bead and makes most of the release flake off so minimal cleaning needed on the mandrel.

I don't seem to have problems with my release. I use Foster fire and I make it very dilute and dip all mandrels twice.

Then I soak all of my beads on mandrels overnight in water with Palmolive dish soap. In the morning they are usually in the bottom of the glass. But if I do get a stuck one I wrap the bead with a nitrile kitchen glove to protect it and then I use a very large pair of pliers and gently take hold of the bead trying not to squeeze it, just hold it. I then grip the mandrel with a pair of vise grips.

Lock the vise grips onto the mandrel and then I gently twist the pliers and vise grips in opposite directions. I found that using the large pliers and vise grips saved my hands.
LOVE silver glass
Old 2013-04-09, 3:08pm
Yorkies Rule

I bought some mandrels and there must have had some other metal in them...it was terrible getting the beads off .ended up breaking or chipping a lot of my beads. Went and bought some from another company and never had a problem....I wish I could remember who ibought them from 3/16,s....my advise..throw them out or use them as plant stakes.
Old 2013-04-09, 3:10pm
Yorkies Rule

PS......I also spent a fortune trying all kinds of different releases and it had nothing to do with the release or that they were large hole mandrels ....just crappy metal.
Old 2013-04-09, 4:30pm
addicted to dichro

Letting your bead release dry out a bit so as to thicken it can usually make the beads come off a lot easier. Some of the bigger mandrels aren't smooth or even perfectly round so you need a thick coat to make up for that... the thicker layer of bead release gives you room to actually turn the bead without putting too much stress on the glass.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2013-04-09, 4:37pm
Echo's Mother

I will have to ditto the Foster Fire. All my beads have come off the mandrel easily since I switched to FF. instead of the freezer, you can try dumping ice cubes in the water. That would sometimes do the trick (before Foster Fire). Just make sure you water down the FF enough. Too thick and life is ugly. It works great with beads that have been pressed or rolled in a bead roller.
Old 2013-04-11, 2:53pm
SCIENCE Teacher!

White vinegar will cause bead release to break down, so for really stubborn beads youc an soak them in white vinegar.
Old 2013-04-11, 2:54pm
SCIENCE Teacher!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandyjw View Post
Letting your bead release dry out a bit so as to thicken it can usually make the beads come off a lot easier. Some of the bigger mandrels aren't smooth or even perfectly round so you need a thick coat to make up for that... the thicker layer of bead release gives you room to actually turn the bead without putting too much stress on the glass.
FosterFire works better when thinner, just an FYI.
Old 2013-04-11, 3:17pm
offically down under

For BHB, I find if I make the bead too thin, then it's nearly impossible to get them off the mandrel. I use a pair of Sears Robogrip pliers to hold the mandrel and an old rubber glove to grip the bead and I wiggle the bead back and forth. If it's going to come off, this will work.

If the bead refuses to come off, I don't want to ruin a good mandrel so I just re-introduce the bead into the flame. Thermal shocking it works a treat but you need to watch out of flying glass.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.